Few quick questions

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by TacticalBigBoss, Dec 31, 2018.

1. TacticalBigBoss
    OP

TacticalBigBoss Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    United States
    I have a few questions about hacking way switch and the risks that come with it.. couldn't find some of these answers online so I came here to ask. I have not really been following the hacking scene so I honestly have no idea what's been going on. I got my switch on launch day and haven't really looked into hacking it or even touched it at all that much. On 6.2.0

---

If using a custom firmware like atmosphere and not doing any piracy does Nintendo only block your console from any online services or do they ban your Nintendo account with all your purchases as well?

Is there any way to play online with a hacked switch for non modding online play?

I hacked my 3DS years ago and never got a ban, is there a effective emunand in place yet like on the 3DS?

What is the easiest and quickest way to perform the exploit? I just looked online and so many options like The jig on the joycon rail and a USB type-c device that plugs at the bottom of the switch, is there any that you would recommend using over another? and if so why?

Thanks in advance for any one that helps me out with these questions

2. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Usually if you get banned, its the system that gets banned.

Well, I've been playing online while in Atmosphere for months xD, but I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you know what your doing and are being careful. But if your using Atmosphere and aren't pirating any games, just rebooting to stock firmware should be fine.

There isn't emunand (that isn't just some shitty FS patches) yet

3. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    I'd like to add that the only way to boot CFW at the moment, is through the RCM eploit. You can only do this by using a jig and then sending a payload through the USB port. After you have booted hekate (or the SX OS equivalent) for the first time, you can enable autoRCM, which means you no longer need the jig, but you still need to send the payload through USB. You can send the payload from a dongle, through your smartphone if it supports OTG, or through a computer with a USB C cable. Maybe this will change someday, but as for now, this is the only way to do it

4. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Theres also a dozen or so mod chips available if you're good at soldering. I'm running a trinket inside my switch right now. No jig, no USB C dongle or anything. Press power and play.

5. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    Damn, that's true, forgot about those :P

6. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    This is a good starting point: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
    About being banned: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/faq/#is-it-safe-to-use-homebrew-or-will-i-get-banned

No need to use a jig. I used a small piece of tin foil and it did the job well enough to install AutoRCM, and immediately took it off. It's all explained in that guide, in the "Entering RCM" section. I figured using a pair of tweezers or a screwdriver/wire/paperclip to shorten those pins would be a bad idea, and the tin foil was surprisingly effectively. That was the hardest part, really. Then after you enable AutoRCM you never have to manually trigger RCM ever again.

TacticalBigBoss likes this.
  7. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I agree. Foil method works great for a one time RCM trigger. Then turn on autoRCM. If you follow a good guide it should have you fold a small peice around the bottom of the right joycon and then slide it in.

8. TacticalBigBoss
    OP

TacticalBigBoss Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 15, 2018
    United States
    I was looking as round for a mod chip and stumbled across R4s, is it a good one or is there a better one? Which one are you using?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I started looking into this a few days ago and I ordered one off eBay I got to my house yesterday, but thanks

P.S. I had to delete the links because it wouldn't let me reply because I can't post links

9. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Last edited by Kafluke, Dec 31, 2018
  10. SomeGuy77

SomeGuy77 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2018
    United States
    I made a perfect jig out of a broken joy-con. I couldn't use it anymore, so I just cut the connector and the plastic around it off, and then bridged the pins internally and protected them with some glue. Works great! Buying one is probably easier though....