Gaming few quick questions

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought you took it back to the seller? You can't really allow it to update until you've asked him why it's nto playing backup discs.

You're better off really getting your money back and getting a JTAG'ed console that has also has a flashed drive. Obviously will cost a bit more, but I think it's worth it. Flashed drives don't seem to last that long, DVD-R's tend to wear out lasers faster.

You would have been better off buying a new brand Jtaggable Elite instead of the slim you brought. The only downside of a JTAG is you can't take them online.

broksonic

Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
I thought you took it back to the seller? You can't really allow it to update until you've asked him why it's nto playing backup discs.

You're better off really getting your money back and getting a JTAG'ed console that has also has a flashed drive. Obviously will cost a bit more, but I think it's worth it. Flashed drives don't seem to last that long, DVD-R's tend to wear out lasers faster.

You would have been better off buying a new brand Jtaggable Elite instead of the slim you brought. The only downside of a JTAG is you can't take them online.

I have taken in back this evening and he has said that he will look at at. He phoned me about 20 mins ago saying that. it is working now and playing backups.

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok. My new questions.

How to recognize what xbox do I have. If it's a Jasper, Falcon or xenox?

I edited my profile and unlocked all achievements (I play offline only). It is great, but in my achievements screen it doesn't show pictures of each of them.
Just the title and empty square. How to fill it up with achievement icons?

Can I put hdd from updated regular xbox to jtag? Will it mess up my xtag somehow?

To transfer updates and music I just need to copy folders from another xbox? That's the way to do it?

That's all (for now).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry must have missed that one.

Easy way is look at the power lead/connector and whether you have HDMI or not.
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_186pp2zddm (scroll down the page about a third of the way or just a bit less).

Possibly easier way is check your nand dump in something like bestpig's freeboot toolbox maker or even one of the more ordinary NAND tools- if you should tell you outright or provide enough clues. 360 NAND flasher will spit out a dump if you lack one and keys can be grabbed from xell/xellous.

I am not convinced about this achievements thing but from what I have seen you have to get into the game and get some of them (I saw a video on assassins creed 2 with such things). This is one of the big ways they catch people out that are foolish enough to hack a pointless system too.

Part of JTAG is virtual fuses and that should save you (there are some hardware options should you so desire). Being a rebooter you should already be at the latest update (or so it thinks) and swapping around hard drives will not trouble it. Swapping hard drives on a box you are leaving aside to JTAG on the other hand [mumbles under breath].....

Updates- as in title updates for games (for DLC and bugfixes and soon extra content from what I hear)

Music I have never messed (I run such things through my PC or an amp after all) with on the 360 outside of hacking purposes (the original xbox is a different matter) but assuming it is in a format the 360 agrees with then I have not heard anything different.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can't rely on the power supply or socket to determine the model, my Falcon for example came with a 203W power supply, socket is the same the Zephyr as is the amps on the back of the console. Many people have consoles like that, especially if they were brought within a few months of MS switching to a new revision. The best way is to do as Fast has suggested and check the nand with FlashTool 0.95.

Otherwise check the motherboards. The Falcon motherboards have 1 less coil. Most Jaspers have a revised southbridge. 80nm Jaspers have the additional GPU heatsinks, 65nm Jaspers don't (those weren't around until after June 2009)

Falcon MB:

IMG_3821.JPG

Southbridge is the IC with a silver circle underneath the SATA lead.

Jasper MB:

IMG_3867x.jpg

Notice the new south bridge.

IMG_3869x.jpg

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanx guys for that.

Now it's time for a big trouble.

I just upgraded from my xenox to nice Jasper, unfortunately, when I swapped HDD it doesn't work at all. No video screen, no freestyle dash nothing!
I checked other hdds and they work fine.
So what do I need to do to use my xenox's hdd on it.

P.S
Help!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not an issue i've come across, so I wouldn't know. All the drives I have work with my consoles, I have bruised and battered 20GB from a Xenon which works with my Jasper Elites. Why don't you just FTP the content off the Xenon then transfer it over to the Jasper? You can boot Xexmenu/ FSD2 etc of a USB memory stick if the Jaspers drive doesn't already have those on.

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I'm trying to do is putting hdd that works fine with my xenos into jasper, but it's not working.
Should I do something to xbox first?
I have no idea.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have not seen this before either- my two theories are your new Jasper does not play with dashlaunch (a properly set up USB drive will hopefully sort that as USB has priority in such things)
2) Is the connectors do not want to play on it (I have seen broken hard drives do similar things)- I am sure we have all had flash carts that will not work in another device, SD cards that do the same, keys that only unlock/work in a certain side of the door...... same idea here. All you can do is clean the connectors and hope.

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think its mechanical, hdd works fine with other xbox, just like other hdd work with that jasper.
I will try to provide as many information as possible so maybe this will help:

It's a 500gb hdd that I bought with xenox. It boots into Freestyle dash 1.20 and I never had any problems with it before.
Last week I bought brand new Jasper, but wjen I put the hdd on it it was just freezeing during the xbox360 booting animation.
I asked a guy wth, and he said that he always was using xbox dashboard to launch the games
Maybe something is overlooked?
Maybe I need to put some file on a xbox to make it bootable into fsd?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Like I said, try booting XexMenu off a memory stick. Simply insert a memory stick or USB drive into the xenon, goto the memory setting and copy over XeXmenu. Insert it into the Jasper and run it.

If it's a 500GB drive, it possible you got caught and the Jasper isn't Jtagged.

Could also be DashLaunch as fast has said.

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I put xex and some xbla games in content folder of non jtag hdd and they work. So thank God it is jtag, right?
Now I'm putting a game on it to try.

Maybe Jasper wants all updates folders that are missing on jtag hdd?
Should I try it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hold on a second

You have a JTAG hacked xenon and it works wonders other than probably being so noisy it is not funny.
You got a new Jasper that is not JTAG hacked

Your "xenon" hard drive is in fact a 500 gig drive and will not work in the Jasper- if the Jasper is not hacked then it is pointless trying as 360 hard drives are not locked but they do need to certain types and "hacked" even then. At this point in time there are no official 500 gig drives so

If your new Jasper is JTAG hacked (I take it your very last post, #53 in this topic, means you tested it out with a working albeit regular/small hard drive) then we have an actual problem, ignore update folders as that means nothing here.

To answer your other question and lead the hunt for solutions we have about 3 main ways of auto booting something-
1 is to fiddle with the options and have it boot of CD and jump to something else (part of the dash).
2 is to abuse a jumper containers thing.
3 is the easiest, most versatile/useful and for those reasons most common (especially as of the last few months now patches are made/based around it) is to use something called dashlaunch. Most current guides include it and any JTAG hacker that keeps up with things (arguably any that is doing a good job) will include it with one they send out.

Dashlaunch however had a major version bump and several tweaks not so long ago (that your Jasper probably was bundled with) and that included some ini file tweaks and bugfixes which may have caught you out here. Similarly if it has some patches they might be for XBR or pre 9199 (doubtful but we are trying things) and that will cause a crash as you have probably just overwritten useful/critical parts of the memory.
To decide what launches dashlaunch uses an ini file (more on that in the package which you can find on xbins) which can be found in one of 3 places, in order of which one gets read first you have
USB drives
Hard drives
Onboard flash

Various NFOs and useful data on the features, functions and fun of dash launch
http://www.xbins.org/index.php?action=sear...p;Submit=Search

Most people are pointed towards the USB option as it is easy enough to rip out a USB stick if someone fails to work properly. Hard drives can be tricky to access if you have hosed up the ini on that (which is nice to have a USB fallback) and flash is for those that swap hard drives and know what they are doing.

Step one (that might not need any more steps) would probably be to grab the dashlaunch installer (2.0 brought a nice 360 side installer you can run rather than fiddling with and flashing NAND images- grab the 2.01 version though) and install that on both 360s. That might solve you problem but do have a USB flash drive (you can use a real hard drive if you really want) to hand so you can pull things back and sort things out and similarly if your xenon is older it might cause the same issue as you are seeing now (good news if it is as that means fixing is as simple as deleting a file).

Next we mess around with ini files- the nfo and downloads have examples, formats and the like. I would build a new one myself but try the other stuff first before we have to start fiddling around with things.

Option 2- you find an old official hard drive and kick the 500 into an external caddy/enclosure (you can pick them up for about $10 USD and done properly you can probably even power it from USB, you can probably shift the old one if it is official for about $10 as well if you wanted). It will probably never work in an official xbox and hacked 360s are not fussy about where their data comes from not to mention it is even easier to fiddle with than FTP (although that is still an option). You will probably have to change the line in the ini file saying HDD to USB though and maybe reinstall freestyle dash (of fiddle with FSD's ini/config) files depending on how it set itself up- the 2.0 line probably as of next version/release being a good reason to jump up)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE