Few questions - 4.2 wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by shaun169, Dec 29, 2009.

Dec 29, 2009

Few questions - 4.2 wii by shaun169 at 2:41 AM (946 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. shaun169
    OP

Newcomer shaun169 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hello. I'm quite new to this wii forum and I really need help please.
    I did bit of research and followed the complete guide and managed to softmod (well.. I believe I did [​IMG]) my wii.
    Prior to softmod my wii was updated to latest 4.2 and never softmoded before.
    Now it's softmoded and homebrew installed.
    Here are few questions I'd like to ask.

- How do you know whether it's fully softmoded? What kinds of stuff needs to be installed to be fully softmoded? (I've installed BootMii, Trucha bug. is that it?)
    - When I put my original game CD, it says "in order to use this software, you must perform a wii system update". does that mean you are never gonna be able to use original CD after softmod?
    - What happens if you do wii system update? Can I do it, if I want to change it back to pre-softmod status?
    - Once you softmod, can you play games from USB which is in different region? (e.g. Japanese region games?)

I'm sorry in case I'm asking noob questions but I really need to help and googling seems not really giving me an answer.
    I guess you guys are wii experts and I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Many thanks in advance!!

2. SiiMiiWiiWii

Newcomer SiiMiiWiiWii Newbie

United States
    Hi Shaun169,
    I was looking for some info myself and came across your post. I can help with a little, but I am no expert myself. I have a couple of the same questions myself. Here's what I got:

-How do you know whether it's fully softmoded? What kinds of stuff needs to be installed to be fully softmoded? (I've installed BootMii, Trucha bug. is that it?)

"Fully softmodded" is kinda a broad definition. If you change the software on the wii away from its original programming then it is softmodded. It may be useless but it is softmodded. The purpose of softmodding for most people are to play backup games from disc, SD, or usb, to play homebrew applications written by you or another programmer, and to emulate and play games from other systems such as the original NES, SNES, and many more (though this really falls under playing and writing homebrew applications.) If your goals are any that I mention and you accomplish all of those goals, then I would say that your Wii is "fully" modded. [​IMG]

- When I put my original game CD, it says "in order to use this software, you must perform a wii system update". does that mean you are never gonna be able to use original CD after softmod?

This is the question I was googling around when I came across this post. Maybe someone else who is more competent can answer for both of us. To be more specific about my situation: My friend bought a new Wii with 4.1U firmware. I upgraded to 4.2U because I have been successful in the recent past modding 4.2 systems and I wanted to insure that if any pre-mod problems happened during the update there wouldn't be any warranty problems. Now it is a 4.2U system. Since the mod it is able to play games from a USB HD via USB Loader GX and NeoGamma. He can also play originals no problem through DVD loading in NeoGamma. But he has tried to load the Wii Sports game that came with the Wii and Super Mario Bros. Galaxy through the regular channel after the mod and it gives the message Shaun says (in order to use this software, you must perform a wii system update.) I am assuming that all originals would be this way (these are the only two originals he has to test.) I will suggest to Shaun that NeoGamma is an option to play the original discs if your situation is the same as mine. However, I would like to be able to load games through the original channel and not have to worry about a kid putting an original in and updating if that would cause a problem.

- What happens if you do wii system update? Can I do it, if I want to change it back to pre-softmod status?

This is a good question that I am unsure of myself. Anybody? Or even better How do you get it back to a pre-soft mod status in case of warranty issues?

- Once you softmod, can you play games from USB which is in different region? (e.g. Japanese region games?)

I have been able to play Jap and Pal games through USB Loader GX with just a minor hitch. The Pal game Video Mode had to be forced NTSC and the jap-NTSC game I had to do something similar but can't remember exactly. So yes, but you may have to play with a few settings. It has been my experience that certain games need special attention and some play without any problems.

I hope I helped and I hope someone else can answer our other questions. Feel free to correct me if I have anything wrong.