FCEUGX video filtering modes.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by masterz87, Nov 29, 2014.

1. masterz87
    OP

masterz87 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    It seems like the system is using a quick billinear filter on the images produced by the emulator, it seems like unfiltered is pixely, and filtered is a giant blurring filter, whereas bilinear usually does OK so long as it's less than 2x of native it looks like it's a full-blown blurring of the entire video, and I would've imagined that the wii as being able to do a bicubic filter or hq2x filtering.

2. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    FCEUGX uses hardware bilinear and deflicker in filtered mode, in unfiltered it's point and no deflicker, in original mode 240p is used so no filtering other than what is done by the hardware for the 512 to 640 scale.

hq2x is available in the recent RetroArch builds along other cpu filters and should work well with a bunch of games.

Bicubic was never used in homebrew emulators or official ones, most likely because it's a waste of cpu when you can use hardware filtering with no performance dips. Might as well mention this; the Game Boy Player used it, though it might not be the best example since the GameCube didn't do much here other than scale the image and apply motion blurring effects.
    The 3DS uses it for DS and DSiware but not Virtual Console titles, the only reason I can imagine is to not use so much power.

In short it is possible but hasn't been done yet.

3. masterz87
    OP

masterz87 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    I figured that the 3ds is using it as the images look blurry, I'll try retroarch but I'm sad that it doesnt support cheats even though it's using fceu based nes core.

why the 3ds is doing it is beyond me, as they should just render the images at the higher resolution and be AOK, this is also very very likely why "3d" games look like poop on the 3ds but pixely games look AOK, also I know that billinear is as simple/fast as possible but if the image is more than ~1.5x as many pixels as the original image it ends up blurring the image and doing very little to make it look better.

Edit: Retroarch wii crashes or locks up randomly whenever trying to do anything. It constantly crashes, and refuses to load anything. So I don't see how this thing is somehow considered stable by the developers.