airpirate545

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a Dell Inspiron B130 and I got my laptop roughly 2 years ago. I remember when I first got it there were no slowdowns at all but now lately in the past years I have seen it become extremely slower. I can't even watch a youtube video without my laptop becoming unbarelbly slow and eventually causing the video to show slowly. Is there anything I can do to help this and can someone explain to me why this happens.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Thing is any number of things could be causing a slowdown. Things like:

Viruses, a slowly dying hdd, a hdd in need of a defrag, overheating, too many junk programs running in the background, a messed up registry.....

The list is endless really, could be anything!

I suggest do a defrag, make sure your computer isnt getting too hot, run a decent anti virus on it, maybe download a program that checks the registry and fixes errors (I use registry mechanic), window washer is also good for getting rid of junk temp files. And check your not running tons of crap in the background, task manager always helps to identify resource hogging programs, hope that helps!

Good ol' Phi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here's what you can do:
scan for viruses,scan for spyware,get a registry fixer,defragment your drives
i suggest spybot search and destroy(the best anti spyware porgram) or windows defender
use ccleaner to fix you registry and get rid of temp files or registry mechanic
antivirus - avast,kaspersky,nod
nothng special your pc just needs some maintenance

if that doesn't work for you-format you hd and reinstall windows just like MystikEkoez said

now if even that doesn't work - its time to buy a new pc

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
If you've got a virus scanner check it's not running scans on a schedule in the background without telling you. Newer virus programs tend to do it by default (AVG springs to mind), it's a good idea in theory but causes all kinds of performance issues on older PCs.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think if you've had it for that long, it's best to just backup your important files and do a fresh install. You'll have to re-install and configure everything, but it'll save hours of looking around for the cause of the slowdown, and you may never even find it!
Definitely best to just re-format your Hard Drive and re-install Windows.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
it's very difficult even if u know the solution to solve it... like in my case i get runtime errors msn problems, background display problems etc because of corrupt windows i think but even if i solve these problems... windows will not be 100% efficient so try a format if it can be done or else get
Auslogics BoostSpeed - GENERAL (Disk cleaner, registry cleaner , defrag of registry and HD etc)
Spybot Search and Destroy - ANTISPYWARE
Kaspersky (though i don't use it since i have some connection problems with it so i am going for bitdefender which equal to it as i have seen)

Also u may want to go for lite programs like google chrome, utorrent etc

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Trolly said:
I think if you've had it for that long, it's best to just backup your important files and do a fresh install. You'll have to re-install and configure everything, but it'll save hours of looking around for the cause of the slowdown, and you may never even find it!
Definitely best to just re-format your Hard Drive and re-install Windows.

Thing is man the more knowledgeable people would just do a format, but for average people its not that simple a thing to do!

The more knowledgeable people wouldnt have posted this topic, thats what you need to think about!

Good ol' Phi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
my pc has a QuadCore Intel E5430 3ghz and 3gig ram windows defender works good
also works fine on my second pc with 2gig ram and Core2Duo E6750 2,6Ghz

and i just checked windows defender process MSAScui.exe takes only 2,7mb to 3,4mb of ram and like 0-1% processor power
so not very demanding

Defender is very good but Spybot is better (tho it hasn't got any real time protection)

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good ol' Phil said:
my pc has a QuadCore Intel E5430 3ghz and 3gig ram windows defender works good
also works fine on my second pc with 2gig ram and Core2Duo E6750 2,6Ghz

and i just checked windows defender process MSAScui.exe takes only 2,7mb to 3,4mb of ram and like 0-1% processor power
so not very demanding

Defender is very good but Spybot is better (tho it hasn't got any real time protection)
defender is crap. and u shouldn't have bought a quadcore comp, it's too early. firstly, it's not tru quad core (its two core 2 duo stuck together), secondly there isn't any (or barely) software that even utilizes quad core. o well to late for that.

though the new extreme chip mite be "true" quad core, i'm not sure.

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when I got my vista (one or two years ago) and it run very fast. But then It became very slow so searched for some anti-viruses and found these

Avast! (found a ton of malware, viruses, trojens and other crap)
CCleaner
some DvD ripper
and some program that fixed errors in your computer.

After I applyed all of them and my computer turned from crapy to avrage. Still sorta slow on opening some windows and it will just not load club live but it's ok for now. Point being, get some good programs and tey will help but don't expect your comp working like if you just bought it but it will help. Also, don't store too much stuff in your hard drive.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Thing is man the more knowledgeable people would just do a format, but for average people its not that simple a thing to do!

The more knowledgeable people wouldnt have posted this topic, thats what you need to think about!
Yeah but downloading all these programs and cleaning his computer is bound to bust his brain if he can't format his hard drive and do a fresh install. I'd say formatting and installing is easier overall.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:

Yeah but downloading all these programs and cleaning his computer is bound to bust his brain if he can't format his hard drive and do a fresh install. I'd say formatting and installing is easier overall.

Yeah guess your right, if you are going to format make sure you have all the drivers for your machine ready to install before you wipe everything.

It saves on taking it to a shop and getting charged I guess.

airpirate545

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have formatted twice before but my comp still turned out slow. I will try to uninstall all the crap haven't touched in a while and then do a defrag. I use Zone Alarm Security Suite for anti virus but I noticed a lot of people don't suggest that is it inferior to other things? Also, when I scan my comp it uses too much RAM are there other antiviruses that use less RAM? Also, when my comp gets slow, the bottom tends to overheat. Could it be because I only have 500 something megabytes of RAM? Thanks for all ure help dudes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff