Fans Petition to have character named after Christina Grimmie in new Zelda game

hqdefault.jpg

Fans of the late Christina Grimmie are petitioning to have a character named after the singer in the upcoming Zelda game, Breath of the Wild. Grimmie was very vocal fan of the Zelda series, frequently tweeting and posting YouTube videos about it.

Her fans have taken to change.org to immortalize the former The Voice contestant. Two petitions have been created with one nearing 60 000 supporters and the other with over 17 000 supporters.

A spokesperson for Nintendo told TIME in a statement, “we are aware of the outpouring of support for her, as well as the petition, but we won’t be making any creative or content decisions in this time of mourning.”

The situation sounds similar to fans' petition to have a Robin Williams tribute in the upcoming Zelda. Only time will tell how/if Nintendo will listen to their fans' plea.

:arrow:SOURCE

Ray Koopa

Obviously a Koopaling
Trophies
XP
Country
Insulting fans for doing such a petition is horrible. Please stop that.

Anyway; I hope Nintendo declines this. Or at least only allows it the US version, because, nobody here knows her much. There's no need to hype something like that into a game totally unrelated to that. I mean, there are enough of even more loyal Zelda fans dieing each month - why her? Because she was shot? Because she was the center of the media for a short while?
Do we also put in the names of the 50 dead people in the Orlando shootings then? Do we put in the names of the November 2015 paris attacks? Did we put in the names of the 9/11 victims in a game back then?

A game of a different universe is not about the crappy universe we live in. I don't want to see ours in there.

LaronX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
While I can see why people make this petition it is a bit pointless. Like a lot of people pointed out it is not a trend of Nintendo, Zelda games or is she someone outstanding for the Series. Robin Williams who named his daughter after Zelda should probably also not be in it even though I love all his work. It is not the place for it. Tbh with Williams I am expecting Square giving him a nod with him being Genie and Aladdin being in pretty much every KH game so far.

If any real life person should be in the game it should be Iwata. Not because of any Zelda related thing, but the work that man put in for Nintendo till the very end.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
That's fair - I personally never heard of her. She made a couple of covers, that's nice, I suppose, but she had no influence over the creative process. It would make more sense if whatever talent show shot her into stardom commemorated her because there's some relevance there, or at least association. I'm a fan of a bunch of things, should I be a character in those IP's too when I pass away? I have a problem with fans demanding some form of tribute from the artists for whatever reason, regardless of whether the subject was dear to the authors or not. While LoZ is considered a cultural property at this point, much like Star Wars, I feel that it's inappropriate and pushy.
The fans most likely started the petitions since they could somehow "relate" to the singer as a young gamer adult who also voiced her appreciation for the game. Although the most likely outcome is known (which I hope they are aware of, at least by now), they're somehow trying to get Nintendo to hear their fans out.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

But these people petitioning do care.
Well, of course they do it's her fanbase who're trying to force this nonsense into the new Zelda game because she passed away but everyone else? Chances are hardly anyone knows who she is compared to the likes of Robin Williams.

Hell, if Nintendo were to give a stranger a cameo in the new Zelda game then make it a competition like they used to back in the early days.

Reactions: Supster131

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It would be very sexist and misogynist to have a female villain.

/feminist logic
ofc, theres nothing wrong in that pics
cia-hyrule-warriors-pic.jpg

except they just shown us that moon is smaller than her boobs

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Christina Grimmie
First thought: Who?

Having read through the thread, from what I can gather, this situation not only exemplifies the entitlement of 'online petition culture', but also demonstrates quite a severe level of Americentrism.

The whole notion of "you're being disrespectful if you don't like the petition" honestly makes sick. However, the arguments against the petition have been done to death in this thread so far, so I'll just say that I agree and think this is all very silly.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ehi beautiful people, until a moment ago i dont even know who she is and spent few secs on google i knew what happened to this poor artist, i just felt sorry and sad for her tragic event, but me as a Zelda fan i have to ask you guys, honestly and truly what did she archive dat we must accept her name in our favourite game of whole time?!
i can understand if nintendo decides to put Iwata's or any other company's employers who contributed significant zelda franchise's growth, but imo i dont accept and see any sort of commemorative thing of any outsiders into my favourite zelda game.

she really doesn't deserve it and nintendo will never ever do this kind of dumb/joke event into one of their BIGGEST game. i'll refuse to buy this game if this sh!t is actually gonna happen.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
-snip-
The whole notion of "you're being disrespectful if you don't like the petition" honestly makes sick. However, the arguments against the petition have been done to death in this thread so far, so I'll just say that I agree and think this is all very silly.

it's funny how everyone wants their own rights yet, will, at any given chance, try to force others to use their rights eventhough it's theirs to use.

OT though reading through this thread really shows a divided lot leaning towards complete disagreement yet not understanding the core fact-of-the-matter that is the domino effect for precedent.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
How could you put some character in the game if the one they based from doesn't have any character?

It would be pretty kekworthy if Nintendo actually make a character with the idol name and then let her die immediately by an arrow during the story.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are petitioning for virtual characters to be renamed to Christina, why not petition for the people in Orlando that were massacred. 49 dead > 1 dead

Here is my C++ code showing my level of "shits given":
Code:
bool giveAfuck;
int main(){
if(49 > 1)
   giveAfuck = false;
else
  giveAfuck = true;

std::cout << "SuzieJoeBob gives a fuck: " << giveAfuck << sd::endl;

return 0;
}

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are petitioning for virtual characters to be renamed to Christina, why not petition for the people in Orlando that were massacred. 49 dead > 1 dead

Here is my C++ code showing my level of "shits given":
Code:
bool giveAfuck;
int main(){
if(49 > 1)
   giveAfuck = false;
else
  giveAfuck = true;

std::cout << "SuzieJoeBob gives a fuck: " << giveAfuck << sd::endl;

return 0;
}
Your code is not optimized and it makes me cry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-