Review Fallout: New Vegas

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Note: Any game that isn't an XBox exclusive and is cross platform, I always review the XBox version.

Hey welcome to New Vegas. We here are proud to have the most state of the art entertainment money can buy, and by money I mean yours.

Welcome to my latest review, up in the spotlight today is Fallout: New Vegas (duh). What seems to be just an expansion pack to Fallout 3, is under the hood, much, much more.

You as the player are a Courier, you are supposed to be delivering a package to the New Vegas Strip. What seemed to be a pretty straight forward assignment has taken a turn for the unforeseeable worse. You are captured and your package has been taken and you are left for dead. You are rescued by a friendly but suspicious robot who has the personality of a Cowboy, and treated by a former vault resident. Now what do you do? Well go after your would be killers, and take revenge of course.

In a similar story told in the beginning just like Fallout 3, there is a bigger picture. The gameplay is much more deep than Fallout 3's, and will immerse you in the game until the story gets better.

Gameplay:

Huh? Just like Fallout 3? Sure, if it looks like Fallout 3, and sounds like Fallout 3, then it IS Fallout 3. Well you would be quite wrong with this assumption. Many gameplay elements are different, and many more have been refined. For instance on what was not there in Fallout 3, look no further than traits. These give a different spin on how you want your character to play. Also a new feature to the consoles is the ability to make your own ammunition, and equipment. You can now aim down the iron sights of tyour barrel and take pot shots. Weapons can be modded with things like scopes, and silencers. The way damage is calculated has also been changed. Enemies now can have an Armor Bonus. Your shots will do less damage if your enemies have armor. Sure the core gameplay is unchanged, but these little/big changes make the game seem new to me. Aside from a few glitches, and unresponsive at times controls, the gameplay is very new and refreshing.

8/10

Story:

The story in the beginning of New Vegas is told almost the same way as Fallout 3 is. I am almost 13 hours in on my second character, and I am just starting to get to the good parts. It is so boring to start out, it had me bored to tears. Also the story presents you with situations than need addressing in different manners. It will also throw you battles you maybe/aren't prepared for, and offers you a way around it. The story in the beginning offers none in the way of excitment.

7/10

Replay Ability:

The game will never ever be played the same twice. Be evil, be good, be the same as everyone else out there, it's all your choice, so do what you want. My problem is that it gets boring at times.

10/10

Bugs, and other miscellenious mentionables:

There are several bugs that I have encountered in this game. Some of them are annoying, and some are more beneficial to me. On both my playthroughs, I tried to mod my classic pack 10mm WP. It worked, but a fog replaces your screen, and it looks as if you are holding an invisible gun. Enemies have fallen through the floor, and sometimes the game will freeze. I never encountered any bug that was game breaking, and have only been stuck once. So y'all on the new hater band wagons can suck it.

8/10

Unbiased No BS Score: 8.25/10

Reviewer score: 9/10

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's a nice review, couldn't have said it any better
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

Sterl500 said:
Lol, made a bit of a mistake. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night due to analyzing the game.
In terms of replayability, you stated it gets boring but still think thats a perfect 10?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
brandonspikes said:
Sterl500 said:
Lol, made a bit of a mistake. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night due to analyzing the game.
In terms of replayability, you stated it gets boring but still think thats a perfect 10?

AT TIMES it gets a bit boring. Your reading comprehension is atrocious.

D

Deleted User

TwinRetro said:
brandonspikes said:
Sterl500 said:

AT TIMES it gets a bit boring. Your reading comprehension is atrocious.
You're starting already? I read perfectly fine, If something is perfect it should not be flawed enough to get boring, Seriously you need to get off my case when I bring up valid points.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave replayability a perfect ten because if you look at it without the few boring parts, you'll see, that it will never be the same game twice. Any game will get boring at some point, and just because it does for me doesn't mean the someone else will get bored by the same parts. Even the boring parts had their merits. The only logical choice was 10/10.

D

Deleted User

Sterl500 said:
I gave replayability a perfect ten because if you look at it without the few boring parts, you'll see, that it will never be the same game twice. Any game will get boring at some point, and just because it does for me doesn't mean the someone else will get bored by the same parts. Even the boring parts had their merits. The only logical choice was 10/10.
Understandable, Thanks for the logical non trolling answer unlike Mr Angrypants over there.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it different enough for someone who only got as far as a couple of hours out of the Vault on Fallout 3 before not even getting bored, but just not really remembering the game existed to bother trying?

Sebbel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
cwstjdenobs said:
Is it different enough for someone who only got as far as a couple of hours out of the Vault on Fallout 3 before not even getting bored, but just not really remembering the game existed to bother trying?

Well, it catches me more in than Fallout 3. It's definitely worth the try.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arpeejajo said:
Nice review. I'm surprised that glitches that freeze games still exist. I may go and pickup a copy though.
Game freezes seem to get more common the longer you have the game running. Usually after a loading screen, but sometimes at random places. The auto save feature is usually enough to recover from a freeze.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
The game freezes and glitches are the same old freezes and glitches we had with Fallout 3. Shame on Bethesda for not working out the bugs with the Gamebryo engine. I wish they would just put it to rest already. If the next Fallout isn't with a different engine, I may just boycott.

THAT BEING SAID....New Vegas is a goddamn blast! Better than 3 in almost every way IMO.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In New Vegas, you have to actually plan your character. If you had bad rep with a group, you may have to fix it. Bad karma? Well, you may just be screwed because there isn't a karma fixing perk. You also only get 15 perks as opposed to the 20 (30 with the expansion) in 3. Uber specialization FTW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free