Fallout 76 - Perks Showcase Trailer

With QuakeCon occurring in full force, Bethesda is showing off new content in all of their upcoming games. For Fallout 76, we get a look at some of the special abilities you'll have in the game, normally known as "perks". A typical 50's-styled education video explains the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Also explained were some details on the game's PvP system; those who go around attacking other players in a form of "griefing" will have their attack damage lowered, and will have bounties put on their heads. You'll also be able to mark yourself as a pacifist, meaning your stray bullets won't harm anyone, though you yourself can still be killed by rogue players. Private servers and modpacks will also be supported on launch. Fallout 76 will release on November 14, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

Godofcheese

Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Didn't they say before that Dedicated servers was just planned and wasn't coming at launch?
Also them not releasing this on steam is a move to have their own store front with microtransactions, so they don't have to give valve a cut for being forced to use the steam marketplace to handle user trading and microtransactions.
Them saying before that it's just going to be "Cosmetics" is maybe a lie, or was truth at that time and decided to change it and not tell anyone, to avoid even more bad rep.

I'm not a fan what Bethesda is doing with the fallout franchise, but I'm somewhat guilty of buying their collector editions..... like with this game, but planning to sell the game itself ;)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Glad to see SPECIAL and perks make there way in. I assumed they would, but you never know. Most survival games don't have any sort of character building and it makes them boring and bland as fuck. One of the best parts of Conan Exiles is being able to build your character, even if the system is not fully realized. Fallout 76 will definitely have an advantage in the genre for diversifying characters if they play it right, which they seem to be.

Their anti-griefing system won't last long if they ever listen to community feedback. Tools like this always, always end up being the source of more griefing. A simple example: Given the game has no perma-death, what's to stop me from constantly running up to a player with no items and some shitty throw-away pistol and baiting them into killing me multiple times? Imagine an entire clan of trolls doing this...and trust me they will. Now a poor new player has nerfed damage AND a bounty on their head. I still remember Mortal Online when it launched, and people threw themselves in front of other peoples attacking boars to turn them grey and have guards called to kill them.
Assuming being killed by someone gives you any sort of immunity to a griefing debuff, I could also just do the same tactic and then run back in my real gear and gun them down mercilessly at no loss. These are just 5 second thoughts, trolls are much more sadistic.

I'm no griefer but I will 100% of the time abuse pacifists by getting in real close and blowing their nuts off with melee or a shotgun for some free easy loot.

Didn't they say before that Dedicated servers was just planned and wasn't coming at launch?
Also them not releasing this on steam is a move to have their own store front with microtransactions, so they don't have to give valve a cut for being forced to use the steam marketplace to handle user trading and microtransactions.
Them saying before that it's just going to be "Cosmetics" is maybe a lie, or was truth at that time and decided to change it and not tell anyone, to avoid even more bad rep.

I'm not a fan what Bethesda is doing with the fallout franchise, but I'm somewhat guilty of buying their collector editions..... like with this game, but planning to sell the game itself ;)

Wanting their own storefront has nothing to do specifically with micro transactions. Don't pull a muscle stretching so hard. It's 100% just to keep all of the profits in their own pocket. I assume they believe their popularity and reputation are enough to sell copies, and they don't need Steams' popularity and advertising to bolster that. To their credit, they're probably mostly correct. But they're underestimating how rigid many people are about having to install yet another client for their games.

Survival games effectively cannot have paid DLC expansions, or anything that would affect gameplay. Foremost because DLC would segregate the community which makes absolutely no sense, and secondly because it would incur imbalance among players. Any semi competent company knows this, and I don't think any Survival game actually has paid expansions.

Reactions: Godofcheese
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Their anti-griefing system won't last long if they ever listen to community feedback. Tools like this always, always end up being the source of more griefing. A simple example: Given the game has no perma-death, what's to stop me from constantly running up to a player with no items and some shitty throw-away pistol and baiting them into killing me multiple times? Imagine an entire clan of trolls doing this...and trust me they will. Now a poor new player has nerfed damage AND a bounty on their head. I still remember Mortal Online when it launched, and people threw themselves in front of other peoples attacking boars to turn them grey and have guards called to kill them.
Assuming being killed by someone gives you any sort of immunity to a griefing debuff, I could also just do the same tactic and then run back in my real gear and gun them down mercilessly at no loss. These are just 5 second thoughts, trolls are much more sadistic.
So, you can't do PVP and won't take PVP damage until you're Level 5, effectively protecting the noobiest of noobs until they get their bearings. After that, PVP is essentially opt-in. To engage in PVP, someone shoots at you and it does a small amount of damage and only when you fire back do weapons do full damage. This essentially makes you a bullet sponge until you return fire, so you can't be killed quickly. Just ignore people to not engage in combat. Additionally, weapons damage is normalized among players, so a low-level player with some crappy pistol or shotgun can still fight toe to toe with a high-level player in power armor. If they whittle you down and kill you anyways without you returning fire, they become wanted and are visible to everyone on the map, while everyone else is not visible to them.

And if all that isn't enough, you can ignore and block players and prevent them from interacting with you at all, including PVP, so they cannot kill you at all. You can also flag yourself as a pacifist to prevent your bullets doing damage to other players, so that you don't accidentally engage in PVP. You also get a pacifist flag while fighting PVE so no one can jump in front of your bullets and accidentally trigger PVP.

I think they have sufficient safeguards to prevent PVP trolling, considering you can block players from interacting with you, and thus, killing you. At worst, you might take a little damage from someone trying to kill you, and if you don't return fire to engage full weapon damage, that should be plenty of time to block them. Maybe you die once, and block them right after.

All that said, I'm not going to discount the craftiness of trolls, but I think Bethesda has good systems in place to prevent all but the most egregious trolls from ruining your play.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, you can't do PVP and won't take PVP damage until you're Level 5, effectively protecting the noobiest of noobs until they get their bearings. After that, PVP is essentially opt-in. To engage in PVP, someone shoots at you and it does a small amount of damage and only when you fire back do weapons do full damage. This essentially makes you a bullet sponge until you return fire, so you can't be killed quickly. Just ignore people to not engage in combat. Additionally, weapons damage is normalized among players, so a low-level player with some crappy pistol or shotgun can still fight toe to toe with a high-level player in power armor. If they whittle you down and kill you anyways without you returning fire, they become wanted and are visible to everyone on the map, while everyone else is not visible to them.

And if all that isn't enough, you can ignore and block players and prevent them from interacting with you at all, including PVP, so they cannot kill you at all. You can also flag yourself as a pacifist to prevent your bullets doing damage to other players, so that you don't accidentally engage in PVP. You also get a pacifist flag while fighting PVE so no one can jump in front of your bullets and accidentally trigger PVP.

I think they have sufficient safeguards to prevent PVP trolling, considering you can block players from interacting with you, and thus, killing you. At worst, you might take a little damage from someone trying to kill you, and if you don't return fire to engage full weapon damage, that should be plenty of time to block them. Maybe you die once, and block them right after.

All that said, I'm not going to discount the craftiness of trolls, but I think Bethesda has good systems in place to prevent all but the most egregious trolls from ruining your play.

Hoo boy what a garbage fest. They're opting to go little too snow-flakey with this, which is a pretty terrible idea given it's a survival game. Often the only real threat is other humans. Especially given it's Bethesda, and no monster they've ever created has been very threatening.

I imagine level 5 is almost nothing. That'll soon be removed though, since it's absurdly easy to exploit and just grief people while avoiding leveling up.

Having to return fire is incredibly silly. Very mediocre system that heavily discourages PvP. Depending on just how spongey you are, it means you can very easily line up an easy kill with your first shot of return fire, which will guaranteed frustrate many people. If it doesn't make you that spongey, well then it's effectively useless and you'll just die anyway.

Just "ignoring" someone is very difficult if they're constantly jumping around you, and running in front of your bullets should you be shooting an NPC. Thus using the sponge system to effectively make this method of griefing oh so easy. Sure you can just give up and run home, but in essence you've still lost to the troll.

Weapon damage being normalized is an odd choice but it does make sense. Sort of. Likely perks will make a large difference regardless though I would imagine.

The wanted system sounds a lot more mediocre when you explain it like that. But i've really already explained how to easily avoid it if you just want to grief.

If you can actually ignore and block players, this game will be dead before the month ends. Every single player I would interact with I would simply block to prevent PvP. Once i'm well established i might unblock and go wreck them. I assume being wanted would ignore the block system, though this is such a carebear snowflake fest it's actually possible the devs are too stupid to have thought that far.

Interesting. It sounds like Bethesda has no actual idea how to make a game. I could deal with the snowflakey bullshit but if you can actually just block players, all hype i've got for this game is dead, and it will be too. Making a survival game and removing such a key aspect of it is retarded.
I suppose the only saving grace would be private servers, which i'm sure would throw all that carebear bullshit out the window immediately. But a lot of people play the official servers in survival games, and guaranteed a majority of them will quit when they see how much of a garbage fest it is.

My prediction is that almost none of that will actually make it past beta. If it does, Bethesda has failed as a game developer. Luckily the community can actually save it if private servers are truly a thing at launch.

But. Wow. Just wow. I've never read such a bad list of design choices in my entire life. If I didn't know you, i'd just have ignored it as obvious parody and bait.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Hoo boy what a garbage fest. They're opting to go little too snow-flakey with this, which is a pretty terrible idea given it's a survival game. Often the only real threat is other humans. Especially given it's Bethesda, and no monster they've ever created has been very threatening.

I imagine level 5 is almost nothing. That'll soon be removed though, since it's absurdly easy to exploit and just grief people while avoiding leveling up.

Having to return fire is incredibly silly. Very mediocre system that heavily discourages PvP. Depending on just how spongey you are, it means you can very easily line up an easy kill with your first shot of return fire, which will guaranteed frustrate many people. If it doesn't make you that spongey, well then it's effectively useless and you'll just die anyway.

Just "ignoring" someone is very difficult if they're constantly jumping around you, and running in front of your bullets should you be shooting an NPC. Thus using the sponge system to effectively make this method of griefing oh so easy. Sure you can just give up and run home, but in essence you've still lost to the troll.

Weapon damage being normalized is an odd choice but it does make sense. Sort of. Likely perks will make a large difference regardless though I would imagine.

The wanted system sounds a lot more mediocre when you explain it like that. But i've really already explained how to easily avoid it if you just want to grief.

If you can actually ignore and block players, this game will be dead before the month ends. Every single player I would interact with I would simply block to prevent PvP. Once i'm well established i might unblock and go wreck them. I assume being wanted would ignore the block system, though this is such a carebear snowflake fest it's actually possible the devs are too stupid to have thought that far.

Interesting. It sounds like Bethesda has no actual idea how to make a game. I could deal with the snowflakey bullshit but if you can actually just block players, all hype i've got for this game is dead, and it will be too. Making a survival game and removing such a key aspect of it is retarded.
I suppose the only saving grace would be private servers, which i'm sure would throw all that carebear bullshit out the window immediately. But a lot of people play the official servers in survival games, and guaranteed a majority of them will quit when they see how much of a garbage fest it is.

My prediction is that almost none of that will actually make it past beta. If it does, Bethesda has failed as a game developer. Luckily the community can actually save it if private servers are truly a thing at launch.

But. Wow. Just wow. I've never read such a bad list of design choices in my entire life. If I didn't know you, i'd just have ignored it as obvious parody and bait.
I don't really know what to think of it either, and I also haven't played many survival games to know what genre fans are expecting. It's gonna be interesting to watch how players interact with these systems and if BGS won't crash and burn on their first multiplayer outing like so many other studios.

My first reaction is that they're heavily deemphasizing PVP in favor of PVE and other elements. How engaging those other elements are will stand to be seen. My second thought is that they're trying to keep the game appealing to the core Fallout fan while also appealing to survival game fans, and they are at risk of appealing to no one. It's not a classic Fallout for regular Fallout fans, and judging by your reaction to the PVP, seems like it might not be survival-y enough too.

If nothing, I'd imagine private servers would make this game fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: