Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Howdy Tempers, (and probably more specifically, Dinoh :P)

A while back in a thread or 2 I've mentioned a 360 I have with 3 possible DVD drives that would go to it. Well, after a small bit of research I've narrow the DVD drives down to a Samsung, a Lite-On, and a Hitachi. Along with my research, I've also discovered the 360 has a Falcon motherboard in it if this helps with my question at all...So would that narrow it down to which dvd drive would be the correct one? Unfortunately I can't give any more info, as it came caseless with the 3 dvd drives (all of which are more or less disassembled, meaning I'm gonna have to get a replace drive >.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If it's a Liteon drive then yes you can snag any Liteon and flash the DVD Keys to it.
(assumption made from my own RGH'd falcon which had a 7x Liteon.)

Liteons and all other drives got updated in the 13xxx updates to carry a new stock FW.
So there is little to no diffirence in firmwares anymore for Liteons and or other drives.

Flashing hardware:
Compatible SATA chipset or VIA PCI card or X360 USB + a Probe 3 or homebrewed PMT to extract the keys and to be safe a Connectivity kit like the CK3i.

Jungleflasher, I guess that you're familiar with that.
All you have to do is probe MPX01 (on the PCB, Liteon xxxxx ONLY) and follow the instuctions.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the only problem is identifying which drive is the right one >.< The Lite-On's disc tray is gone, which is why I can't test whether it'll boot games or not. Is there anyway to tell which drive could be associated with the 360 other than seeing if games boot in any of them?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You could hook it up to Jungleflasher.
It should tell you what type of drive it is.

Otherwise open up the console and look at the sticker (100% fool proof way but beware that the firmware has changed)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I know which drive is which, what I meant was I need to figure out which drive belongs to the 360 itself. That's my problem.

I did, however, put the Samsung and the Hitachi to try those out. With the Hitachi I get a "Unrecognized Disc" error along with the error code "03-57-00". The Samsung doesn't read the disc.

So now I need to determine whether it's the Hitachi or the Lite-On drive that's the right one.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ahh I see.

Hmm thats going to be difficult.
I guess that it's the Liteon which belongs to the Falcon (mine also had a Liteon aboard)
How old is your Falcon then?

Sammies and Hitachi's are generally found in Xenons and Zephyrs.

One way to be absolutely sure is to reset glitch it.
However that's currently not possible on a Phat (iirc)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The 360 was bought between...late 2007-early 2008 I think. I've got another 360 not currently in use with a Lite-On drive, so I'm gonna try grabbing the DVD keys from the disassembled drive and write it to the extra Lite-On. If it works, cool. If not, shit.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always reset glitch the 360 if you're on firmware 14699 or lower. That way you can get the DVD key straight from the motherboard.

pas7680

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Falcons usually have either a benq or liteon drive - in the very first batch you might have some hitachi's but it's not common.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Upside down power cable on the drive will do it. Not sure how people do it as they are keyed to only go one way, but an upside plug normally results in smoke and fried drive.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe the plastic is worn that badly but I can't plug a powercable upside down....

Anyway Super.
I got a spare Liteon 7x drive PCB (I can send the entire drive but it has the Open tray error) for you if you want.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the plastic is worn that badly but I can't plug a powercable upside down....

Anyway Super
I got a spare Liteon 7x drive PCB (I can send the entire drive but it has the Open tray error) for you if you want.
I'm fairly certain I didnt plug the cable in upside down...but maybe sometimes I'm just stupid...haha.

Anyways, thatd be amazing if you could send me one! Ill pm you when I get home from the dentist...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*