Fake Nintendo 64 games

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Does anyone has any infos about fake N64 games? Specific about Pokemon stadium (2). I'm unable to find any concern infos about that topic so I'm wondering if bootlegs are a thing in N64 world. And in a case if it is, how to spot them and does transfer pak works on them?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone has any infos about fake N64 games? Specific about Pokemon stadium (2). I'm unable to find any concern infos about that topic so I'm wondering if bootlegs are a thing in N64 world. And in a case if it is, how to spot them and does transfer pak works on them?
They can be made, but I doubt it since they would probably cost about as much to manufacture than to buy used, in the case of most games. Maybe you'd find some on etsy or someplace similar, but they'll usually let you know.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen quite a few, I was checking this out while collecting my complete PAL (unboxed) collection...

https://retrocomputing.stackexchang...unlicensed-games-released-for-the-nintendo-64

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=117078

Also watch out for people repro'ing lables, and sticking conker, snowboard kids 2, or star craft on fifa 99 or worse cheap old game carts....

There are also some good ones, like the OOT master quest rom from the GC disc & translated sin and punishment on a real cart to play on real hardware :)

Last edited by KiiWii,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
There are a ton of reproduction carts around, especially recently, but they're not really particularly expensive to manufacture as mentioned above. But they're usually marked as such in the places they're available like Etsy and eBay. At best I would recommend staying away from any deceptively cheap eBay copies (think like $20 or lower, for your particular game), or any copies that look "too" perfect condition. One of the better things to look for when seeing if a cartridge is a reproduction or an original is to check the label itself. Reproduction carts almost always have overly glossy labels, so they're super easy to spot from pictures. You can also look at all the edges on the cart (like on the Nintendo logo on the back, or the two strips on the front of the cart), real carts have a much "sharper" line, whereas repros are softer and less defined because of the casting process used.

I actually personally don't mind getting modern reproduction carts (that are purposely sold and labeled as such, of course), because modern manufacturing practices have a bit more quality than sub-2000 Chinese fakes produced years ago. I've got some SNES repro carts of some of the more expensive games (like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger) that cost $15 each and play identical to the original games with no issues so far.

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Eeew that ugly black glue on motherboard is showing its legit. Unfortunately, im not able to ask seller to open it, but i can do it it by myself when game comes.

Rodrigo Mafra

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Back in the 90's I had some Pirate games and the quality was very poor.
It were 70% lighter, the drews were plastic and the region lock was larger, to fit in both us and Jp consoles.

And were needed an adapter with a batery, or an adapter with a slot to put an original game and use it's batery.

Attachments

• IMG_20181123_000445.jpg
    IMG_20181123_000445.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,222

iLL wiLL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a copy of excitebike sealed for $100 which I thought was a good deal thin I opened it.the plastic around the cartridge didn't look right out looked more like a clear bag and if I remember they where like a cloudy poly looking bag and the cartridge looks off and I read somewhere about the h seam .I remember that now but this game didn't have it.if I remember correctly the older games weren't sealed like that.well now that I opened it lost its value if it is real.I'm kinda pissed off because I'm starting to collect these again.I found a copy of famicom mario 3 which back then when I bought it I knew the copy I bought was fake but just to have the game 2 years ahead of the USA I didn't care and nobody believed I had it till they came over and actually played it!!!I remember paying$150 but didn't keep it as soon as the USA version was ready to come out I sold it 5 months ahead of time and got my money back but now I just want it for my collection.I would have probably kept it out it was real.

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
To anybody who's still wondering about the same question if it's able to transfer Pokemons from original games to the bootleg Stadium, the answer is yes. I'm able to run the game on 64 although my Pokemon stadium 2 is bootleg. Since I'm playing this game for the first time, I'm not sure where I should to transfer my Pokemons. I can select them in the menu where it asks for my team, but is it possible to transfer it and leave them in the game?

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
To anybody who's still wondering about the same question if it's able to transfer Pokemons from original games to the bootleg Stadium, the answer is yes. I'm able to run the game on 64 although my Pokemon stadium 2 is bootleg. Since I'm playing this game for the first time, I'm not sure where I should to transfer my Pokemons. I can select them in the menu where it asks for my team, but is it possible to transfer it and leave them in the game?
Well, it has been almost 20 years, but I believe I remember a "Team Registration" option that would let you save preset teams that could include Pokémon from Game Boy carts, which would then be usable without them.

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Yes, there's a lot of fake N64 games nowadays because people recently discovered how to circunvent the CIC chip protection. You can find a lot of those on chinese websites that ships worldwide but personally, i'd just recommend you to buy a flashcard.

Also, for Pokemon Stadium 2 there are some strange anti-piracy methods used in the game that makes it impossible to save on flashcards released before Everdrive 64 3.0 or fake cartridges, at least for now.

Virdoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yes, there's a lot of fake N64 games nowadays because people recently discovered how to circunvent the CIC chip protection. You can find a lot of those on chinese websites that ships worldwide but personally, i'd just recommend you to buy a flashcard.

Also, for Pokemon Stadium 2 there are some strange anti-piracy methods used in the game that makes it impossible to save on flashcards released before Everdrive 64 3.0 or fake cartridges, at least for now.

I can confirm that Stadium and Majora's mask are working alright. No problems with saving.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm reviving this thread with one question.

What's the best place to buy N64 repros?

Prices for legit carts are atrocious. I'm just trying to have some fun, not be super serious about my collection.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Prices for legit carts are atrocious. I'm just trying to have some fun, not be super serious about my collection.
In that case don't bother wasting money on n64 repro carts. Make a 1 time payment and buy a evedrive 64 flashcart instead. The amount of money you would spend on repro carts would eventually add up to the price of a flashcart plus more anyways.
With this you can have every n64 game ever made on 1 cart.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/55-everdrive-64-x7.html

https://everdrive.me/cartridges/ed64x7.html

Last edited by cvskid,

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Aliexpress. Also, these reproductions the past few years have been on par or better quality than the originals, especially when comparing with the age difference.

Reactions: LightyKD

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case don't bother wasting money on n64 repro carts. Make a 1 time payment and buy a evedrive 64 flashcart instead. The amount of money you would spend on repro carts would eventually add up to the price of a flashcart plus more anyways.
With this you can have every n64 game ever made on 1 cart.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/55-everdrive-64-x7.html

https://everdrive.me/cartridges/ed64x7.html

Oh I know but I watched my wife play Mario 64 tonight and it was like magic. There's just something about popping in an individual cart and playing old school style. Also I think out daughter will get a kick out of it. Gotta train the kids classically ;) !

Aliexpress. Also, these reproductions the past few years have been on par or better quality than the originals, especially when comparing with the age difference.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was already looking at the site but thanks to you I know it's the absolute best place. Also, if the stickers are wrong on the carts I know where I can get some "offical" stickers to make things look legit!

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2