1. Virdoo

OP Virdoo GBAtemp Maniac

Croatia
    Does anyone has any infos about fake N64 games? Specific about Pokemon stadium (2). I'm unable to find any concern infos about that topic so I'm wondering if bootlegs are a thing in N64 world. And in a case if it is, how to spot them and does transfer pak works on them?

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    They can be made, but I doubt it since they would probably cost about as much to manufacture than to buy used, in the case of most games. Maybe you'd find some on etsy or someplace similar, but they'll usually let you know.

3. KiiWii

KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    I have seen quite a few, I was checking this out while collecting my complete PAL (unboxed) collection...

https://retrocomputing.stackexchang...unlicensed-games-released-for-the-nintendo-64

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=117078

Also watch out for people repro'ing lables, and sticking conker, snowboard kids 2, or star craft on fifa 99 or worse cheap old game carts....

There are also some good ones, like the OOT master quest rom from the GC disc & translated sin and punishment on a real cart to play on real hardware :)

Last edited by KiiWii, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    There are a ton of reproduction carts around, especially recently, but they're not really particularly expensive to manufacture as mentioned above. But they're usually marked as such in the places they're available like Etsy and eBay. At best I would recommend staying away from any deceptively cheap eBay copies (think like $20 or lower, for your particular game), or any copies that look "too" perfect condition. One of the better things to look for when seeing if a cartridge is a reproduction or an original is to check the label itself. Reproduction carts almost always have overly glossy labels, so they're super easy to spot from pictures. You can also look at all the edges on the cart (like on the Nintendo logo on the back, or the two strips on the front of the cart), real carts have a much "sharper" line, whereas repros are softer and less defined because of the casting process used.

I actually personally don't mind getting modern reproduction carts (that are purposely sold and labeled as such, of course), because modern manufacturing practices have a bit more quality than sub-2000 Chinese fakes produced years ago. I've got some SNES repro carts of some of the more expensive games (like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger) that cost $15 each and play identical to the original games with no issues so far.

Scott_pilgrim and Xzi like this.
  5. Virdoo

OP Virdoo GBAtemp Maniac

Croatia
    Eeew that ugly black glue on motherboard is showing its legit. Unfortunately, im not able to ask seller to open it, but i can do it it by myself when game comes.

6. Rodrigo Mafra

Rodrigo Mafra GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Back in the 90's I had some Pirate games and the quality was very poor.
    It were 70% lighter, the drews were plastic and the region lock was larger, to fit in both us and Jp consoles.

And were needed an adapter with a batery, or an adapter with a slot to put an original game and use it's batery.

Attached Files:

7. iLL wiLL

iLL wiLL GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got a copy of excitebike sealed for $100 which I thought was a good deal thin I opened it.the plastic around the cartridge didn't look right out looked more like a clear bag and if I remember they where like a cloudy poly looking bag and the cartridge looks off and I read somewhere about the h seam .I remember that now but this game didn't have it.if I remember correctly the older games weren't sealed like that.well now that I opened it lost its value if it is real.I'm kinda pissed off because I'm starting to collect these again.I found a copy of famicom mario 3 which back then when I bought it I knew the copy I bought was fake but just to have the game 2 years ahead of the USA I didn't care and nobody believed I had it till they came over and actually played it!!!I remember paying$150 but didn't keep it as soon as the USA version was ready to come out I sold it 5 months ahead of time and got my money back but now I just want it for my collection.I would have probably kept it out it was real.

8. Virdoo

OP Virdoo GBAtemp Maniac

Croatia
    Any ideas how do bootleg Pokemon games for 64 work? Are they available to transfer pokemons from original games?

9. Virdoo

OP Virdoo GBAtemp Maniac

Croatia
    To anybody who's still wondering about the same question if it's able to transfer Pokemons from original games to the bootleg Stadium, the answer is yes. I'm able to run the game on 64 although my Pokemon stadium 2 is bootleg. Since I'm playing this game for the first time, I'm not sure where I should to transfer my Pokemons. I can select them in the menu where it asks for my team, but is it possible to transfer it and leave them in the game?

10. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Well, it has been almost 20 years, but I believe I remember a "Team Registration" option that would let you save preset teams that could include Pokémon from Game Boy carts, which would then be usable without them.

11. Virdoo

OP Virdoo GBAtemp Maniac

Croatia
    So does that means that Pokemon stay on my Gold cartridge? It just makes identical copy of them on Stadium?

12. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Exactly

13. horokeusama

horokeusama GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Yes, there's a lot of fake N64 games nowadays because people recently discovered how to circunvent the CIC chip protection. You can find a lot of those on chinese websites that ships worldwide but personally, i'd just recommend you to buy a flashcard.

Also, for Pokemon Stadium 2 there are some strange anti-piracy methods used in the game that makes it impossible to save on flashcards released before Everdrive 64 3.0 or fake cartridges, at least for now.

14. Virdoo

OP Virdoo GBAtemp Maniac

Croatia
    I can confirm that Stadium and Majora's mask are working alright. No problems with saving.

15. horokeusama

horokeusama GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I was talking about specifically about Pokemon Stadium 2.

16. Virdoo

OP Virdoo GBAtemp Maniac

Croatia
    I'm talking about stadium 2 as well=D

17. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    I'm reviving this thread with one question.

What's the best place to buy N64 repros?

Prices for legit carts are atrocious. I'm just trying to have some fun, not be super serious about my collection.

18. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    In that case don't bother wasting money on n64 repro carts. Make a 1 time payment and buy a evedrive 64 flashcart instead. The amount of money you would spend on repro carts would eventually add up to the price of a flashcart plus more anyways.
    With this you can have every n64 game ever made on 1 cart.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/55-everdrive-64-x7.html

https://everdrive.me/cartridges/ed64x7.html

Last edited by cvskid, Mar 13, 2021
  19. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Aliexpress. Also, these reproductions the past few years have been on par or better quality than the originals, especially when comparing with the age difference.

LightyKD likes this.
  20. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States

Oh I know but I watched my wife play Mario 64 tonight and it was like magic. There's just something about popping in an individual cart and playing old school style. Also I think out daughter will get a kick out of it. Gotta train the kids classically ;) !

Thanks for the suggestion. I was already looking at the site but thanks to you I know it's the absolute best place. Also, if the stickers are wrong on the carts I know where I can get some "offical" stickers to make things look legit!

cvskid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, games,