Fake memorystick

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by ` regret ., Feb 3, 2010.

Feb 3, 2010

Fake memorystick by ` regret . at 12:37 AM (808 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. ` regret .
    OP

Member ` regret . GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I just figured out I have a fake memory stick, will this limit the things I can do? I've already had some problems with PSX games and my ISO games don't save correctly. Could this be a problem with the MS?

2. ` regret .
    OP

Member ` regret . GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Sounds like it, cheap imitation memory sticks use weird compression techniques to make 2gb turn into 4gb and other combinations, as a result data is never stored on them too well and is liable to corruption and other errors.

4. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    Don't bump.... If you have probems with games not saving and such then you should get a real mem stick :S

I had an 8gb that's fake i used it fine. Now my sister has it on her psp and it's fine

I use 16gb legit now

5. dirty_harry

Member dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yeah you need to figure out if your memory stick is true memory or a lower capacity faking a higher capacity. Easy way to figure it out is to fill up your card and see if you start running into "cannot access X" errors.

If your fake is a decent one, then you can format it and run it at low capacity.

Regardless, you must buy an original SONY or a Sandisk memory card. Thats the only surefire way to get reliable results. Another method is to buy a microSDHC > pro duo adapter.

Ozmodchips love the idea and support it heavily. I have a photofast myself and love it to death.

Code:
    http://www.ozmodchips.com/dual-sdhc-microsd-to-ms-pro-duo-adapter-p-206.html
    Code:
    http://www.ozmodchips.com/8gb-pro-duo-for-psp-p-160.html

Bottom line, buy reliable memory.