Fake memorystick

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by ` regret ., Feb 3, 2010.

1. ` regret .
    OP

` regret . GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2009
    Canada
    I just figured out I have a fake memory stick, will this limit the things I can do? I've already had some problems with PSX games and my ISO games don't save correctly. Could this be a problem with the MS?

2. ` regret .
    OP

` regret . GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2009
    Canada
    Bump.

3. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Sounds like it, cheap imitation memory sticks use weird compression techniques to make 2gb turn into 4gb and other combinations, as a result data is never stored on them too well and is liable to corruption and other errors.

4. BlackDave

BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    The Promised Land...
    Don't bump.... If you have probems with games not saving and such then you should get a real mem stick :S

I had an 8gb that's fake i used it fine. Now my sister has it on her psp and it's fine

I use 16gb legit now

5. dirty_harry

dirty_harry GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Yeah you need to figure out if your memory stick is true memory or a lower capacity faking a higher capacity. Easy way to figure it out is to fill up your card and see if you start running into "cannot access X" errors.

If your fake is a decent one, then you can format it and run it at low capacity.

Regardless, you must buy an original SONY or a Sandisk memory card. Thats the only surefire way to get reliable results. Another method is to buy a microSDHC > pro duo adapter.

Ozmodchips love the idea and support it heavily. I have a photofast myself and love it to death.

Code:
    http://www.ozmodchips.com/dual-sdhc-microsd-to-ms-pro-duo-adapter-p-206.html
    Code:
    http://www.ozmodchips.com/8gb-pro-duo-for-psp-p-160.html

Bottom line, buy reliable memory.