Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:
It's called faith dude. You might as well be saying their religion is a fraud too. It's all about faith. Just let them be.
Not when people do that rather than get ACTUAL medical help...

And yes, religion is a fraud as well. Look at Scientology.
A failed pulp (fiction printed on cheap pulpy paper) writer was able to found a VERY successful religion.

Oh I won't deny that religion is a joke (in my eyes), but it's still about having faith and believing. And if people can't really see WHY people are religious or believe in faith healing, than religious people have every right to insult Atheists and say that they flaunt their mouths everywhere.
So believing in a lie is justification to insult those who don't?
I mean, I have nothing against those who are religious, but don't expect me to take you seriously.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
TehSkull said:
I watched a deaf girl receive her hearing, first hand. No man shall convince me otherwise.

Derren Brown showed exactly how the "making the deaf hear" fraud is carried out and replicated it on his show. He did the same for 'crippled' people walking upright. Did you actually follow it up and speak to the 'healed' people a week later to see if they were actually cured or did you just accept it when they said "Oh my God, I stood up straight!" or said "Jesus" when the guy told them "say Jesus"? It's documented that the adrenaline rush created when you whip people up into a frenzy is a powerful painkiller. That's how some guy a TV company got off the street was able to convince people he'd cured them of being crippled after just six months of coaching and with no belief in God or Jesus-given power.

The whole thing is a fraud and any Christian should be disgusted in people who abuse the name of their prophet in this manner, exploit the vulnerable and get rich off robbing and often killing desperate Christians. Luckily there are Christian groups who fight very hard against these kind of scum.

As for the forged bank note analogy, that only works if no-one had ever been able to demonstrate that bank notes actually existed in a controlled scientific environment.

The poster above has a great point as well. How come Jesus only heals conditions that are very conveniantly the ones where it is easy to fake it? How come he never uses these faith healers to grow back someone's amputated leg? Does jesus have something against amputees, where he'll cure thousands of cancer and blindness sufferers and not a single amputee?

Faith Healers are not Christians, they're atheists who make a living out of stealing from Christians. If they believed in God they would be far too scared of his wrath for behaving like this in his name.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
faith healing is as fake as the religion it's attached to.

just look at the kids who died because the parents wanted faith healing instead of real medicine

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Prove that faith healing is a fraud?

Hmm well considering religion is for the weak of mind, and only they believe in it and being of weak mind, they are prone to believing in anything and unlikely to be responsive to the facts, what precisely would be the point of anyone trying to convince them of their folly?

I have 'faith' that idiots will invariably be idiotic.

But hey, don't let me sway you eh. It's not like 50 years of experience is worth much eh. What can 30 years of science education possibly be worth to the conversation eh.

But think on this, next time you have the chance to speak with say a psychic (another interesting brand of bull), ask them why they don't routinely buy winning lottery tickets? Or do they enjoy being poor?

If faith is so great, why do so many religious people suffer horrible fates? Is it because their god is really just an unsympathetic prick at heart?
Yeah I will listen to you pray, but don't expect any help.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:
twiztidsinz said:
ShadowSoldier said:
It's called faith dude. You might as well be saying their religion is a fraud too. It's all about faith. Just let them be.
Not when people do that rather than get ACTUAL medical help...

And yes, religion is a fraud as well. Look at Scientology.
A failed pulp (fiction printed on cheap pulpy paper) writer was able to found a VERY successful religion.

Oh I won't deny that religion is a joke (in my eyes), but it's still about having faith and believing. And if people can't really see WHY people are religious or believe in faith healing, than religious people have every right to insult Atheists and say that they flaunt their mouths everywhere.
So believing in a lie is justification to insult those who don't?
I mean, I have nothing against those who are religious, but don't expect me to take you seriously.

Very ironic. If think that believing in a lie doesn't give someone justification to insult others, yet you insulted someone because you believe in a lie.

You say religion is a fraud because one religion is. Now that is some top notch logic. Surely all religions are wrong, except for possibly one of them. It is very obvious that Atheism is as false as Scientology. Just read St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Anselm's proofs for the existence of God.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
If you think there's actual proof of God then you have no faith. You don't need faith in something that has been proven. Therefore you can't have faith in God, which kind of puts you in a bit of a pickle as a mamber of a religion which requires that faith.

However, it's funny you mention both Anselm and Aquinas, when the latter spent much of his time completely rejecting the argument made by he former.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Prove that faith healing is a fraud?

Hmm well considering religion is for the weak of mind, and only they believe in it and being of weak mind, they are prone to believing in anything and unlikely to be responsive to the facts, what precisely would be the point of anyone trying to convince them of their folly?

I have 'faith' that idiots will invariably be idiotic.

But hey, don't let me sway you eh. It's not like 50 years of experience is worth much eh. What can 30 years of science education possibly be worth to the conversation eh.

But think on this, next time you have the chance to speak with say a psychic (another interesting brand of bull), ask them why they don't routinely buy winning lottery tickets? Or do they enjoy being poor?

If faith is so great, why do so many religious people suffer horrible fates? Is it because their god is really just an unsympathetic prick at heart?
Yeah I will listen to you pray, but don't expect any help.

You try to prove that faith healing is a fraud by claiming that is a fact that all religious people have a weak mind. That is absolutely brilliant. Especially considering many of the most intelligent people ever have been religious scientists. ie Sir Isacc Newton who founded Physics and Gregor Mendell (a catholic monk) who founded genetics. It seems that the only intelligent thing you said is that your 50 years of experience isn't worth much. Then to prove how ignorant you are on the matter, you ask a basic question that can be answered by anyone of which the answer is "free will."

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly I feel as though faith healing can't heal anything like cancer or anything, but I do feel as though it does have some power on a psychological level for helping people through their problems, but not curing them.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Honestly I feel as though faith healing can't heal anything like cancer or anything, but I do feel as though it does have some power on a psychological level for helping people through their problems, but not curing them.

Which is all very good, unless the healer takes their money (And some of them claim to be able to solve debt problems if you send them money, you can imagien how that ends for people) or tell them to throw away their medication. Or, when they ask why they haven't been healed, tell them it's because of their 'secret sin' which makes them blame themselves and often leads to suicide. 'Faith healers' are some of the most evil people on the planet, in my opinion.

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tatripp said:
Surely everyone who says that faith healing isn't real isn't a Christian. Jesus healed a blind man and also reattached someone's ear.

I'm not saying that everyone who claims to be a faith healer (especially if they charge money) is real, but I find it probable that true healing miracles can exist.

In the words of Gilbert Keith Chesterton, possibly the best author of the 20th century, " A false ghost (or a faith healer in this case) disproves the reality of ghosts exactly as much as a forged banknote disproves the existence of the Bank of England..."

prove it....

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
BlueStar said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:

Which is all very good, unless the healer takes their money (And some of them claim to be able to solve debt problems if you send them money, you can imagien how that ends for people) or tell them to throw away their medication. Or, when they ask why they haven't been healed, tell them it's because of their 'secret sin' which makes them blame themselves and often leads to suicide. 'Faith healers' are some of the most evil people on the planet, in my opinion.
True, that does happen, but I was just talking about someone having some kinda faith to lean on to help them feel better, doesn't mean contacting some guy to help them or anything like that. Just praying could help someone feel better on some level, doesn't mean it will cure them, just means they feel better.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tatripp said:
Very ironic. If think that believing in a lie doesn't give someone justification to insult others, yet you insulted someone because you believe in a lie.

You say religion is a fraud because one religion is. Now that is some top notch logic. Surely all religions are wrong, except for possibly one of them. It is very obvious that Atheism is as false as Scientology. Just read St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Anselm's proofs for the existence of God.Give me one shred of proof, one little bit of evidence that a god exists. Any god.
The problem with faith is, to believe in it you must blindly trust it.

QUOTE(tatripp @ Apr 26 2011, 01:27 AM) In the words of Gilbert Keith Chesterton, possibly the best author of the 20th century, " A false ghost (or a faith healer in this case) disproves the reality of ghosts exactly as much as a forged banknote disproves the existence of the Bank of England..."[/font][/size]
This would be true... if it wasn't wrong.
You can prove that the Bank of England exists. You can prove they have real bank notes. You can even prove a counterfeit bank note is fake.
You cannot prove ghosts exist, or else we'd have undisputed evidence of them by now -- what with all the ghost hunter bullshit TV shows.

And this is coming from someone who got freaked the hell out by a 'ghost'.
A friend and I were riding bikes when we were in the 4th grade, and we stopped on the side of a hill in which an old, abandoned nursing home was built. One of us commented about the time, so we jokingly turned up to the old broken clock on the side of the building and we both saw a white figure in the window. We turned to eachother, then back to the window and it was gone. We both saw it.

In reality it was most likely the wind blowing something across the window or a worker cleaning up the place (the building was abandoned, but the property had another nursing home building), or even some squatter who was living there or any number of a HUNDRED possibilities that could be rationally explained. But when you're 10/11 years old, and don't know any better, it's a spooky ghost.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
tatripp said:
You try to prove that faith healing is a fraud by claiming that is a fact that all religious people have a weak mind. That is absolutely brilliant. Especially considering many of the most intelligent people ever have been religious scientists. ie Sir Isacc Newton who founded Physics and Gregor Mendell (a catholic monk) who founded genetics. It seems that the only intelligent thing you said is that your 50 years of experience isn't worth much. Then to prove how ignorant you are on the matter, you ask a basic question that can be answered by anyone of which the answer is "free will."

You spelled Isaac wrong.

Anyway can we get more back onto the topic of faith healing? General religious debates are far too common. By the way, does the video work in USA? If not it's now been uploaded on Youtube here (not embeddable): Derren Brown: Miracles for Sale

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
TehSkull said:
I watched a deaf girl receive her hearing, first hand. No man shall convince me otherwise.

Derren Brown showed exactly how the "making the deaf hear" fraud is carried out and replicated it on his show. He did the same for 'crippled' people walking upright. Did you actually follow it up and speak to the 'healed' people a week later to see if they were actually cured or did you just accept it when they said "Oh my God, I stood up straight!" or said "Jesus" when the guy told them "say Jesus"? It's documented that the adrenaline rush created when you whip people up into a frenzy is a powerful painkiller. That's how some guy a TV company got off the street was able to convince people he'd cured them of being crippled after just six months of coaching and with no belief in God or Jesus-given power.

The whole thing is a fraud and any Christian should be disgusted in people who abuse the name of their prophet in this manner, exploit the vulnerable and get rich off robbing and often killing desperate Christians. Luckily there are Christian groups who fight very hard against these kind of scum.

As for the forged bank note analogy, that only works if no-one had ever been able to demonstrate that bank notes actually existed in a controlled scientific environment.

The poster above has a great point as well. How come Jesus only heals conditions that are very conveniantly the ones where it is easy to fake it? How come he never uses these faith healers to grow back someone's amputated leg? Does jesus have something against amputees, where he'll cure thousands of cancer and blindness sufferers and not a single amputee?

Faith Healers are not Christians, they're atheists who make a living out of stealing from Christians. If they believed in God they would be far too scared of his wrath for behaving like this in his name.
:| I'll admit that I don't have your demanded level of proof for the scoliosis bits. The deaf girl was healed, and then she proceeded to call her mom to hear her voice for the first time.

The next morning, they had her up on stage singing along with the worship. You really can't fake the level of tone deafness she had. I know I couldn't if I tried.

Keep in mind, though, this was just a unique happening, not an experience everyone paid to see.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my two cents. Faith healing as a practice is a definite sham. Miracles aren't something that happens on command. Miracles are miracles because they aren't expected. Also, just because you don't believe doesn't give you the right to tell others they're wrong, and that's also vice versa for the believers. It's a choice for someone to put faith forward, and it also takes more guts to do so. Especially with the way society has been degrading. I predict 10 years from now, people of faith will be in the minority.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wizerzak said:
tatripp said:

You spelled Isaac wrong.

Anyway can we get more back onto the topic of faith healing? General religious debates are far too common. By the way, does the video work in USA? If not it's now been uploaded on Youtube here (not embeddable): Derren Brown: Miracles for Sale
Neither that link or the one in the first post are working for me in the USA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...