fail0verflow tease Linux on Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Agent Moose, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Don Jon

Don Jon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    I understand I was just making fun of fof.
    Ill google Uart adapter tho thanks

Last edited by Don Jon, Feb 7, 2018
  2. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    BOIIII- Oh wait it's fail0verflow. Never mind.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, well, at least Team Xecuter's results will be tangible to the general public.

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  4. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Absolutely, though it's always good to see results either way!

5. Timburpton

Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    Nobody likes a "male chicken" tease. I guess its only actual use is as a POC for the foreseeable future.

the_randomizer likes this.
  6. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    And showing its possible.

7. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Luminary of Illustrious Colors

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    But that's the thing -- why buy a Switch, then, if you could just buy a $50 actual Android tablet?

albion and Kallus like this.
  8. Timburpton

Timburpton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    AKA POC

yardie likes this.
  9. hobbledehoy899
    This message by hobbledehoy899 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 9, 2018.
    Feb 8, 2018
  10. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    now let me see them booting a game off a flash cart that takes microsd cards like a NDS Flash cart........

11. Pippin666
    This message by Pippin666 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 9, 2018.
    Feb 8, 2018
  12. Kilim
    This message by Kilim has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 9, 2018.
    Feb 8, 2018
  13. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Impossible due to how the cartridges work, unless a flaw in their crypto is found.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Also don't forget if they could copy the Nvidia shield TV exact kernel+drivers+android it has games like doom3 bfg, MGS HD, war thunder and some other exclusive games, even though they are far from titles like the latest Wolfenstein on the switch, but the more the better, dual boot with switch + full performance Nvidia shield TV android would be awesome...

And if they could replace the main OS of the Switch with something like XBMC like Xbox Original, even better, that was the most epic little OS I ever seen and the one that game me more pleasure beside windows, I never liked any Linux distro that I tried and I hate Mac OS and android also doesn't please me much either, but all would be welcome with multiple boot options on the switch.

Also a great thing would be a switch card reader to sata adapter where we could put a SSD or a 2.5 1TB drive in it.

Last edited by guily6669, Feb 8, 2018
  15. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Best chance here would either be running a drive through the usb-c port on the switch tablet, or through the switch dock.

Definitely not gonna be any special adapters to connect through the sd slot though.

16. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren Banned

Banned
    Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    This shows us that joycon hax might be possible boyz.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  17. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    ... yeah, that's true. Didn't think about that.

18. BirdsAreSpies

BirdsAreSpies Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2014
    Korea, North
    I'm a developer, no damn hardware engineer. I don't know anything about hardware exploiting stuff.
    A software developer writes software, a security engineer analyzes software. I don't - and I bet there are many other developers who don't either. Many of them even don't know how to write a compiler although they use them every day.

Yeah and this point is wrong. They already released stuff and its source code aswell.

And that's wrong, too. They don't tease anywhere but Twitter so you have to follow them to get their news. Usually you follow people you are interested in (or their work of course).
    Maybe you should hate the guys who are dragging their news to other websites.

Yes. The community is butthurt. It seems like they are using all of their energy to hate and cry instead of getting into hardware hacking themselves. They love to take and don't give anything back but hate. As I already said, look at the HBL thread and the loaders delay for 14 days. So many butthurt people crying about broken promises etc.

Their work is impressive, so they deserve attention in my opinion.
    Maybe they will release it when Team Xecuter will release their modchip. As many other people already said, they are against privacy.
    So by now: Learn yourself how to reverse engineer and spend hours to hack a blackbox or stop complaining about hacker groups who enjoy all those bitter and salty tears. Of course, you could just grow up and wait some weeks or months until there is a way to run external code. The months before Christmas must be a hard time for many over here.

Zulnoth, VinsCool, Jonna and 2 others like this.
  19. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I worry about the state of the community sometimes. With each new console, each new mod/hack.. The entitlement grows. It's not getting better. Fail isn't a dev team worth following if you're expecting a release. They've released a few things here and there, in the past. That's great. However, if all we get are teases posted by some random member? It adds fuel to the proverbial fire. I'm not sure why, or even how it has this effect on some people. Yet, it does. It's borderline insanity.

That's not to discredit them, or blame them for the situation.

Zulnoth and Jonna like this.
  20. Don Jon
    This message by Don Jon has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 9, 2018.
    Feb 8, 2018
  21. Deathscreton
    This message by Deathscreton has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 9, 2018.
    Feb 8, 2018
  22. PICTOCHAT

PICTOCHAT Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2017
    Antarctica
    Looking at the picture, I wonder if the Joy-Con firmware can be flashed to install CFW, similar to NTRBoot on 3DS... :)
    HACBoot if you will.

23. TheKeiron

TheKeiron Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2010
    A $50 Android tablet would not be of the same quality hardware wise (barring Amazon tablets which are actually quite good for sub $50 but are crippled by their software limitations and ads everywhere) and also a $50 Android tablet would still only be just an Android tablet - a Nintendo Switch running Android will be both a Switch AND an Android tablet with access to the good stuff from both ecosystems

24. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Luminary of Illustrious Colors

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    That does sound enticing. So it'd be possible to dual-boot both OSes? I'd imagine it'd require a bit of re-jiggering first, though a Tegra processor should make it infinitely easier to work with. I might be into that if it really works without problems.

We also have to wait 'till someone releases an exploit for that, yeah? Because from what I hear, failOverflow doesn't release their stuff.

25. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Dualbooting Linux and Switch software would be a blessing. We could probably even get to the point where the bootloader could be placed on the SD or an external USB drive. Would lead to some interesting setups. I'd definitely use it. Can we call it Switchbuntu?

guily6669 and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  26. 0x64
    This message by 0x64 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Feb 9, 2018.
    Feb 8, 2018