fail0verflow tease Linux on Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Agent Moose, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Agent Moose
    OP

Agent Moose GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Source: What do you all guys think? Clearly they won't release it, but it's still pretty cool showing an image of possible Linux on the Switch.

yanagi, DarthDub, operador7 and 4 others like this.
  2. Xanthe

Xanthe Costco Executive Member

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Nice.

3. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Nothing to see here. A “hacking” group that never releases shit is more like a “show off” group in my opinion.

4. Agent Moose
    OP

Agent Moose GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    I do understand that, but for me I see it as a opportunity for other hackers to try and get working. Whether that happens or not..well, it's hard to say. Even though eventually (probably another year or so) it will happen.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    Nothing to see for you*. Even though they never release shit, still interesting for some of us to see what they can do. ESPECIALLY running Linux :)

6. kramer987

kramer987 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2008
    United States
    the interesting part is that they are using a dongle that is connecting to the right joycon port.

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Indeed, it's cool to see Linux running on Switch, but as far as reliability, don't expect them to release jack shit :creep: I expect damage control to show up with their usual sycophantic measures.

8. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    No one is expecting them to release shit. And so what? They're not in our face with their shit, we're always the ones who come to them. They are just hacking and showing off what they do. There's nothing wrong in keeping your own works for yourself.

Deathtech00, WadsRUs, satan89 and 4 others like this.
  9. Tempest228

Tempest228 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    United States
    Why do people keep posting Fail0verflow news. They never release anything. All you are doing is stroking their e-peen.

10. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Whatever you say *shrug*. Just hope they don't say they'll release it and end up not like they did with the Wii U. Kinda hard to trust a team of developers when they back out at the last minute. I couldn't care less what they do, if they want to show off and flaunt their goods, fine. I expected nothing less from their entourage of loyal sycophants.

Just don't want them to say they'll do one thing and then end up not doing it, is that too much to ask? It'd be better for them to not release anything than to say they will and back out at the last second.

Doesn't make backing out at the last second (i.e. Wii U release) any less of a dick move ;)

Last edited by the_randomizer, Feb 6, 2018
    Jax_Ripper and nWo like this.
  11. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    #tease0verflow

Nothing to see here guys, keep walking.
    With no documentation or info to go along with this that MIGHT help others achieve this in the meanwhile, there is nothing to be gained from this other than brag about it.

brickmii82, Don Jon, WeedZ and 2 others like this.
  12. a9lh-1user

a9lh-1user GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2016
    Germany
    It's a free world!
    Everyone can do whatever she/he/it likes ;)

Medveitsi likes this.
  13. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Now we wait for all the replies from the self entitled children complaining that this isn’t a release, because they think that the world revolves around them and that they deserve everything...

14. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Now we wait from all the replies to Team Fail0verflow's group of dedicated sycophants who have supported them since the Wii U fiasco :creep: Keep strokin' their ePeen all the live long day. If someone said they would do something, but backed out later on, would you be so quick to trust them? Any normal person would lose that trust, no?:unsure:

I wish people would stop defending them so fiercely.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Feb 6, 2018
    Pluupy and CallmeBerto like this.
  15. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    It's not that self-entitled people complain about them releasing stuff.
    It's because what other purpose or goal do they intend to achieve other than to brag about it?

I mean, look at the work by Plutoo, SciresM and other people within Reswitched (and the other group I can't recall xD), they AT LEAST release proper documentation on how someone knowledgeable enough could achieve what they have done by posting what they have discovered and their info on reverse engineering the console so far.
    Just look at the Switch wiki, that's entirely their work and what others are using.

Now fail0verflow releases an image of Linux on the Switch, and how can someone interested in doing this as well could even remotely know where to start?
    The image itself serves no other purpose than to brag about it, nothing else.
    Them releasing nothing just adds to this as well.

I couldn't really care less about what F0F does to be honest, I am much more interested in the work of SciresM and what TX might bring in Spring.
    This brings absolutely nothing of value to the Switch hacking/development community.

Last edited by ShadowOne333, Feb 6, 2018
  16. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    They released everything to get Linux running on the PS4 with the exception of the kernel exploit: https://github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-linux

Once a PS4 kernel exploit was release their work was very useful.

17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    They didn't come through for the Wii U hacking scene, when they said they were going to release a kernel exploit. Why the hell do people defend them again? Took four and a half years to have other people release an exploit when Team f0f pussied out.

thla and 0x64 like this.
  18. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    the problem is that fail0verflow is like that kid that show of its cool toys to other kids....

toys are made to be played with. dont show off your toys if you not going to let other kids play with it.

worst part is even when the switch is fully hacked fail0verflow wouldn't release nothing.

Last edited by Flame, Feb 6, 2018
  19. FliP0x

FliP0x GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    Croatia
    0x64 likes this.
  20. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Ahhhhh that's fucking brilliant. Hope we get some video footage of it booting/running soon!

CuriousTommy and Eix like this.