Hacking EZ-FLASH Junior TestFlight

TheBabyMaker97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Buggy beta firmware doesn't count. Only stable official releases.

Btw. it's more than two and a half years since "Kernel 1.05e and Firmware 5 Release Candidate" came out and taken down again. I don't know how old "Kernel 1.04e and Firmware 4" is. But it takes way too long for the next official realease to come out.

If you are fine with beta versions, good for you.
Even the RC version solved the Pokemon Prism RTC problem, at the cost of bricking your card, if a not fast enough micro sd was used. The "stable" beta fw5 is virtually useless

Reactions: GASH

GASH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also, why would someone who paid for their flash card be a beta tester and possibly mess up the card and waste time and money on that? As if the develepors don't have enough cards to test it on their own.

Reactions: Takokeshi

chenke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I've just found 2 bugs in 20210918beta FW:
1st bug:
GB game: X (エックス) , put no-intro rom in EZjr, it runs well in GBC/GB, but when EZjr+ SFC SGB2, it just freezes at beginning of the game(see the photo below), no matter how many times you try:wink:
1.jpg

2nd bug:
GB game: X (エックス) , when play the official game catridge in SFC SGB2, like other 22 old GB games, the SGB2 will automatically shows a Special Default Color Palette like this:
2.jpg

4.JPG

3.JPG

but play X (エックス) in EZjr+SGB2 combo, there is no Special Default Color Palette show on screen, just the Normal Color Palettes:wink:

Reactions: zfreeman

WiLLiW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1st bug:
GB game: X (エックス) , put no-intro rom in EZjr, it runs well in GBC/GB, but when EZjr+ SFC SGB2, it just freezes at beginning of the game(see the photo below), no matter how many times you try:wink:
View attachment 306246

2nd bug:
GB game: X (エックス) , when play the official game catridge in SFC SGB2, like other 22 old GB games, the SGB2 will automatically shows a Special Default Color Palette like this:
View attachment 306247
View attachment 306249
View attachment 306250

but play X (エックス) in EZjr+SGB2 combo, there is no Special Default Color Palette show on screen, just the Normal Color Palettes:wink:
This game is so amazing!

jdsteel7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st bug:
View attachment 306246

2nd bug:
View attachment 306247
View attachment 306249
View attachment 306250

Sorry for the noob question, but how would I go about getting Super Gameboy-enhanced GB games working on my EZ Flash Jr.?

Vphruple

Trophies
XP
Country
India

Questions about flash cart EZ-FLASH Junior.​

I am new to flash cartridges,
Heres is what i would like to know,
When using the EZ-FLASH Junior to load a Gameboy roms,
can i use the color palette swap button combination to well, swap the color pallet.

When playing on my Gameboy Advance Sp, i like to use Left+B to get the monochromatic palette.
But i am worred that EZ-FLASH Junior will load all games in Gameboy Color and thus not leting me change the palette.

I will also like to know about the RTC functionality of the EZ-FLASH Junior, on the Features it is listed as one but there is this notice

Kernel 1.05e and Firmware 5 Release Candidate
Download link removed due to many users did not read the below notice and bricked their card.
SHA1(ezgb.dat)= ce1d53168e586dad36568a317947941f0f3a134f
SHA1(Update_FW5_7-31.gb)= 80ef33af5e16ef8866474740016e26df59e90557

NOTE: This not a final release, If you are not in desperate need of playing RTC games or a user of a particular batch of Gameboy Color, please stay with Firmware 4 and Kernel 1.04e! Known issue: if user does not have an enough fast speed SD card. it will halt in LOADING or OSINIT screen after upgrade.
Dose this team i can no longer you the RTC functionality?
Thank you in advance.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, why would someone who paid for their flash card be a beta tester and possibly mess up the card and waste time and money on that? As if the develepors don't have enough cards to test it on their own.
The newest RC firmware doesn't have the bricking issue that the previous one did, I personally don't mind testing as I have the soldering skills to remove the chip and a flasher to reprogram it back to a working state. If you're not part of a group that's willing to test, it simply isn't meant for you.
The developers don't have the ability to test it on such a wide scale of devices and SD cards. Something to also notice is there's even manufacturing tolerances on every device ever that might not have been entirely mitigated. Custom setups with different power requirements and etc.

I don't really understand how beta testing software outside of a closed, internal group is such a foreign concept to you honestly haha. Even "Early Access" games are pretty commonplace. Some of which have indeed caused huge problems. Even fully released games sometimes release with bugs that are patched later, this is just the nature of software and not everything can always be caught by the developers or even a dedicated QA team.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
i've found a strange problem.
i tried playing boxxle on an original gameboy (biverted if that matters) and the game always hangs when pressing start. the same happens on a gameboy light.
but when i try the same on a gameboy color or advance, it plays without problems.
i've only encountered this problem with boxxle, but could happen with other games too.
i'm using fw5 k1.05e

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've found a strange problem.
i tried playing boxxle on an original gameboy (biverted if that matters) and the game always hangs when pressing start. the same happens on a gameboy light.
but when i try the same on a gameboy color or advance, it plays without problems.
i've only encountered this problem with boxxle, but could happen with other games too.
i'm using fw5 k1.05e
Power issue

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Power issue
nonsense.
i've tried with 3 classic gameboys (original, light and pocket) with new batteries and all hang after pressing start on boxxle, only gameboy color and advance work, even when low on battery.
there is clearly something funny going on with the ez flash junior while running on a classic gameboy.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nonsense.
i've tried with 3 classic gameboys (original, light and pocket) with new batteries and all hang after pressing start on boxxle, only gameboy color and advance work, even when low on battery.
there is clearly something funny going on with the ez flash junior while running on a classic gameboy.
Yep power issue I just tried this game works as it should

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Yep power issue I just tried this game works as it should
then riddle me this.
why can i play every other game on my original gameboy without any problem? yes, even boxxle 2.
and why does it work flawlessly on my gbc and advance EVEN ON SPENT BATTERIES?
if you are so sure that is a power issue then it shouldn't work on spent batteries no matter what hardware i'm using.
i even tried downgrading to firmware 4 1.04e and nothing changed.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My Junior reported "Battery dry" yesterday. It means the Juniors Battery i out of power, isn't it? The card is only 1 1/2 years old...

Well, i guess this isn't important, as long as i use the Junior's reset-button after every gaming session, so the save is written direcly back to the microSD card, right?

EZ-Flash2

Official EZ-FLASH Stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My Junior reported "Battery dry" yesterday. It means the Juniors Battery i out of power, isn't it? The card is only 1 1/2 years old...

Well, i guess this isn't important, as long as i use the Junior's reset-button after every gaming session, so the save is written direcly back to the microSD card, right?
As long as you remember to press the button every time to let the kernel restart and backup the save, it does not matter whether you have a battery or not, unless you forget to press the button and just shut down the console, or you want to play RTC games, it is necessary to renew the battery.

BTW, CR1220's capacity is only about 35-40mah, while the common CR2032's capacity is 235-240mah, the former's capacity is only 1/6 of the latter.

Reactions: Bonny

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As long as you remember to press the button every time to let the kernel restart and backup the save, it does not matter whether you have a battery or not, unless you forget to press the button and just shut down the console, or you want to play RTC games, it is necessary to renew the battery.

Exactly what i thought. Thank for confirming.

BTW, CR1220's capacity is only about 35-40mah, while the common CR2032's capacity is 235-240mah, the former's capacity is only 1/6 of the latter.

Interesting. And good to know. :yaysp:

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
It could be a bad ROM. What's the hash?
CRC32: C09CEE99. which is correct for Boxxle v1.1 or rev.a. v1.0 has the same issues on ez jr. and on top of that has some levels that are unbeatable. so rom is fine, it's the first thing i check.
the same rom plays perfectly on an everdrive clone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/video-games/nintendo/summercart64-open-source-n64-flash-cart-reveale...