Hacking EZ-FLASH Junior TestFlight

Olly C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any news on if Super Game Boy features are going to be added soon/ever?

I have the Super Game Boy and the EZ Flash Junior and it works fine if you press reset one to pop the Super Game Boy logo then a second time to load the EZ Flash but borders, pallettes or even specific game features on the SGB don't currently work right?

I'm actually using this all on a Super NT if that makes any difference.

Also what are the button shortcuts on the EZ Jnr? I think Select+Up resets the game or something? (it just crashes it to a blank screen for me on the Super NT) Are there any other shortcuts?

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Is there any news on if Super Game Boy features are going to be added soon/ever?

I have the Super Game Boy and the EZ Flash Junior and it works fine if you press reset one to pop the Super Game Boy logo then a second time to load the EZ Flash but borders, pallettes or even specific game features on the SGB don't currently work right?

I'm actually using this all on a Super NT if that makes any difference.

Also what are the button shortcuts on the EZ Jnr? I think Select+Up resets the game or something? (it just crashes it to a blank screen for me on the Super NT) Are there any other shortcuts?

I know that the latest beta version seems to have Super Gameboy enhancements support. You can find it a few posts back. But it is not ready yet or stable and some people have had some issues, so personally I am waiting for a new offical version with Super Gameboy support more mature.

Like you I purchased this Flash Junior cart mostly to use it on the Super Gameboy! I do have the SD2SNES and even though the SD2SNES now has SGB support, the sound accuracy is not there yet, the original SGB is just perfect.

I am hoping Omega Flash team has something to give us by christmas or new year! :)

Reactions: Olly C

Toivogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
They probably gave up support for this because they cant fix rtc issue in software. Flash cart probably needs multiple rtc modules like Everdrive x7 so its not interfering on other games.

Last edited by Toivogamer,

Olly C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that the latest beta version seems to have Super Gameboy enhancements support. You can find it a few posts back. But it is not ready yet or stable and some people have had some issues, so personally I am waiting for a new offical version with Super Gameboy support more mature.

Like you I purchased this Flash Junior cart mostly to use it on the Super Gameboy! I do have the SD2SNES and even though the SD2SNES now has SGB support, the sound accuracy is not there yet, the original SGB is just perfect.

I am hoping Omega Flash team has something to give us by christmas or new year! :)

I did see the Beta firmware but didn't see any mention of SGB enhancements, its safe enough to update the FW and then downgrade it again after isn't it?

Yes I'll primarily be using it in the SGB2 (which has the correct Game Boy clock timings unlike the original) coupled with the Super NT so hopefully they can implement it in the firmware, saying that it looks like the Everdrive supported SGB enhancements from the get go seeing Krikzz's "EverDrive GB demo" video on YouTube dated March 2014.

Here's to hoping! Maybe @EZ-Flash2 can give us an update on how likely it'll be, I have read in the past it was low down on the list of things to sort but it's been a year now.

WiLLiW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They probably gave up support for this because they cant fix rtc issue in software. Flash cart probably needs multiple rtc modules like Everdrive x7 so its not interfering on other games.
Isn't rtc bug affecting one hacked game only?

aaaaaa123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

You mean in the cart's software? Because the fix is probably in the firmware, which they can change via an update.

Isn't rtc bug affecting one hacked game only?

It's impossible to know. The EZ-Flash Jr.'s RTC doesn't behave like the original. There's no way to know how many games are affected by this, because there's no way to find every game made for the platform. (Consider that games are still being developed.)
Games have to be fairly popular for them to come up in threads like this one, but there's hundreds of homebrew games out there, and there's no way to readily know which ones will be affected by this bug.

thegododeath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that the latest beta version seems to have Super Gameboy enhancements support. You can find it a few posts back. But it is not ready yet or stable and some people have had some issues, so personally I am waiting for a new offical version with Super Gameboy support more mature

I've had zero problems using my Junior for SGB enhancements with that SGB specific firmware posted awhile back. No idea what you're waiting for. The lastest firmware doesnt seem to support SGB enhancements, 1.05e. I've tested it.

Last edited by thegododeath,

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I've had zero problems using my Junior for SGB enhancements with that SGB specific firmware posted awhile back. No idea what you're waiting for. The lastest firmware doesnt seem to support SGB enhancements, 1.05e. I've tested it.

Really? I did not know it was actually save to use! Thank you for confirming then! I will be trying it :) My best regards.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only breaks that Pokemon hack will the Pokemon hack does it wrong
It also skews pokemon gold, silver and crystal (stock). The timer loses 5 seconds every 24 hours. So after 12 days, the timer on pokemon gold/silver/crystal is behind by exactly 1 minute. Not huge, but kind of annoying if you're super anal about it like me haha

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It also skews pokemon gold, silver and crystal (stock). The timer loses 5 seconds every 24 hours. So after 12 days, the timer on pokemon gold/silver/crystal is behind by exactly 1 minute. Not huge, but kind of annoying if you're super anal about it like me haha

Come on man really? That's nothing! Although I can understand that resetting the clock on Pokemon games is a pain in the ass. But still, it is pretty much nothing.

On the other hand I have an SD2SNES and that thing skips ahead about 30 seconds every 24 hours. Doesn't these things control the timing using their crystal oscilators? Couldn't we replace the crystal? The SD2SNES I have has a 12.000 crystal oscilator, maybe replacing it for something lower could make the clock timing slower? I am just trying to guess here.

Last edited by nashismo,

aaaaaa123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Come on man really? That's nothing! Although I can understand that resetting the clock on Pokemon games is a pain in the ass. But still, it is pretty much nothing.

On the other hand I have an SD2SNES and that thing skips ahead about 30 seconds every 24 hours. Doesn't these things control the timing using their crystal oscilators? Couldn't we replace the crystal? The SD2SNES I have has a 12.000 crystal oscilator, maybe replacing it for something lower could make the clock timing slower? I am just trying to guess here.

What you're looking at is the effect of tolerance, more specifically a crystal that is a bit too far away from the 12 kHz you quote. 30 seconds in 24 hours represent an error of roughly 0.035%, which would mean that your crystal is actually oscillating at 11996 Hz.

Reactions: nashismo

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Nah, the software here isn't handling the RTC the same way as expected, they seemingly end up doing some weird calculations to make up for the lack of correct response timing, but the RTC in general just doesn't behave correctly.
The crystal is perfectly fine, however due to the expected 1000ms response where the cart will occasionally give a 998.6ms response and 1004.2ms during various tests (which indicates said weird calculations), it seems like it's off just a tad. Which is unfortunate. I'm sure the problem with the SD2SNES is indeed potentially fixable with a more precise, higher quality crystal, but honestly I wouldn't know enough about it. For now we're just going to have to wait for the ezflash devs to get back to us on whether this can be remedied or not without a hw revision

Reactions: nashismo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ