Hacking EZ-FLASH Junior TestFlight

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I would much rather have Save States than support for that oddly named knockoff, but I totally get why you'd want it. Strange it doesn't work, tbh.

Really happy with this thing once I got the battery figured out!

I believe the charm of EZ-Flash is rom drag and drop into the SD card (hence the EZ). Sadly save states would require at least per rom patching before copying which I think kills a little bit the best part of EZ-Flash.

In other words: I think it's against the value proposition and will never be added.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

aaaaaa123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I figured as much, theres no "in game menu", so unless the button was reconfigured for that i dont see a way it could work.

It's not about the lack of a dedicated button as much as it is about the fact that the cart just doesn't have access to much of the stuff it would have to save.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not about the lack of a dedicated button as much as it is about the fact that the cart just doesn't have access to much of the stuff it would have to save.

I assumed something along this lines was in the middle. I didn't know for sure so I did not mention it. Thanks for confirming.

ilchymis7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a dude can dream! If someone finds a way to make their own firmware and unlock the capability, it could possibly make its way into the final product. Idk how the Everdrive does it, but theres gotta be something justifying the $100 extra fee for it.

Reactions: WiLLiW

aaaaaa123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can patch Gameboy games with this and use Savestates.
https://github.com/mattcurrie/gb-save-states

Works well with Gameboy games, but unfortunately not with Gameboy Color games.

Creating a new save function for a specific game (because this is what this really is; they aren't really savestates) can vary from very easy to nearly impossible depending on the game, but the important part is that this only works for a specific game. This is not a generic method that will work with any game you throw at it, or even a subset of them. Every game needs to be modified (creating a different patch for each one of them) to introduce the new save functionality that can be invoked at will with a button press.

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Creating a new save function for a specific game (because this is what this really is; they aren't really savestates) can vary from very easy to nearly impossible depending on the game, but the important part is that this only works for a specific game. This is not a generic method that will work with any game you throw at it, or even a subset of them. Every game needs to be modified (creating a different patch for each one of them) to introduce the new save functionality that can be invoked at will with a button press.

you're right. but nevertheless helpful for some.

ndsLight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
that's strange, i've never had this issue.
I've tried ezgb.dat from 1.04 with 4-20 test firmware. Now it seems that everything works fine. Saves work. Color games also work on GB Boy. Games do not hang. Cool. Thank you a lot for the help!

You can patch Gameboy games with this and use Savestates.
https://github.com/mattcurrie/gb-save-states
Works well with Gameboy games, but unfortunately not with Gameboy Color games.
Thank you, man!!!! I did not know you could save games like that on gameboy. Thanks a lot for that info. Games like Castelian definitely need this feature! Thanks again!!! ))

Last edited by ndsLight,
Reactions: limpbiz411

limpbiz411

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried ezgb.dat from 1.04 with 4-20 test firmware. Now it seems that everything works fine. Saves work. Color games also work on GB Boy. Games do not hang. Cool. Thank you a lot for the help!

Thank you, man!!!! I did not know you could save games like that on gameboy. Thanks a lot for that info. Games like Castelian definitely need this feature! Thanks again!!! ))
no problem, glad you got it all sorted out. Z flash Jr. is pretty cool on a gb boy colour

D

Deleted User

sadly 1.05e killed my gb boy compatibility.
it just reboots and reboots until it freezes :S on my gba it works flawless

It worked after serveral tries now... Strange behaviour

Strange. Now it works everytime...

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...