Hacking EZ-FLASH Junior TestFlight

aaaaaa123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can find the1.05RC link on the above post #405, or visit official site to grab the 1.04e

I've tried both (1.05 RC was what I had been using anyway), and it's not working. 1.04 gives me tons of garbage on screen.
Is there any way to reflash it externally? At this point I don't think it's going to boot unless we somehow restore the firmware from the outside.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think that the last solution is reflash by jtag, but I don't see nothing about this.
Solution was to just keep trying, wait at the menu for 1 minute when you eventually reach it without crashing, then select fw updater (after waiting the minute is important)
It can take 50+ attempts for it to work.

I doubt they're going to just release the file to reprogram it via the jtag pinout. That would just invite cloning...

DBOA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try to format a blank SD card with FAT32/ 32KB rule. then copy only kernel file on it. boot it and see what happen
Hi, I'm having problem with my EZFlash, it keeps getting stuck on loading, and I'm thinking it's the sdcard reader. is there a way to know if the ezflash is reading the sdcard?

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I've been trying for two days like you say ... and nothing at all
Try harder and slower ‍♂️ I'll upload a video for you guys, I reinstalled just to demonstrate 'fixing' it. It actually worked pretty quickly this time too (5~ mins)

Hi, I'm having problem with my EZFlash, it keeps getting stuck on loading, and I'm thinking it's the sdcard reader. is there a way to know if the ezflash is reading the sdcard?

If you installed the FW5 test firmware, you need to flash back to an older version. If your problem is not related to the test flight fw, you're probably better off starting a new thread instead

Last edited by DrunkenMonk,

aaaaaa123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Try harder and slower ‍♂️ I'll upload a video for you guys, I reinstalled just to demonstrate 'fixing' it. It actually worked pretty quickly this time too (5~ mins)

Not all problems are identical, even if they look similar. Waiting only works with specific kinds of errors. If the firmware crashes into an endless loop, waiting a century won't make it boot.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not all problems are identical, even if they look similar. Waiting only works with specific kinds of errors. If the firmware crashes into an endless loop, waiting a century won't make it boot.
Here's one example (this is actually the fastest I've ever unbricked it too) as you can see the crashes happen seemingly completely at random, sometimes right after OS init, sometimes instantly, other times not until after you try to press something...

Reactions: WiLLiW

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's one example (this is actually the fastest I've ever unbricked it too) as you can see the crashes happen seemingly completely at random, sometimes right after OS init, sometimes instantly, other times not until after you try to press something...
Run it on an OEM console

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Run it on an OEM console
it is an OEM console, the screen is just a screen... it doesn't feed back anything back to the console. I was showing him a video of how to fix the crashing. It's not a GB Boy or anything stupid, it's still regular game boy colour hardware.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is an OEM console, the screen is just a screen... it doesn't feed back anything back to the console. I was showing him a video of how to fix the crashing. It's not a GB Boy or anything stupid, it's still regular game boy colour hardware.
A screen isn't just a screen it adds power draw to the console that heavily affects the Jr so I states again use an OEM console

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A screen isn't just a screen it adds power draw to the console that heavily affects the Jr so I states again use an OEM console
dude honestly... it's nothing to do with the console. It's an issue with the firmware itself, it happens exactly the same on a stock DMG with the dot matrix.

I presented a solution to a problem multiple users have encountered.

If you'd like to present evidence to back up your claims, that's great - but spreading false information doesn't help anybody.

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain

Well, i see, but in my case the menu never is show, alwais fail after of soinit.

I am tried in a gba sp 101, gba classic with 101 screen, gba sp 001 with ips screen, gbc with ips screen and a gbp with retropixel ips screen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11CIQVoHWW-Wm-CSgFsQX_25HEYiAwbeG/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by Ninoh-FOX,

aaaaaa123456789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

That's not bricked. You get to the main menu. I haven't seen it.

Reactions: Shadow#1

RetroKarl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@DrunkenMonk dude, I think that you're not very aware of the issues that a lot of people are having with backlight screens. It's recommended to use Stock systems, in order to avoid issues. And obviously it's more than reocommended, while updating a firmware, it can lead to more issues if the power delivery is not the one that the system and the EZFJr needs while they're rewritting important files-codes. It's very important when someone ask for help in troubleshooting to mention all the circumstances in order to find the issue and fix it, take it like " lie to the doctor ", trust me, very bad idea.

There are people with issues almost identical to the ones that you describe, but with stock FW4 & Kernel 1.04e, just because a mod (screen is the most common) in their systems.

With that said, and please, don't misunderstand me. The last firmwares do have a LOT of issues at installation (even the FW5K105RC, it has less, but it has), in almost all cards/systems (Tested on OEM Systems). The only thing that I find very different between your cases, is how difficult is to get them working again, in OEM systems, at least in my case (GBC OEM X2, GBA OEM X2 and tested with 3 EZFJr). I had a lot of issues like the ones that all mention but they get fixed just by rebooting (just once), and installing another FW.

What is your test system @aaaaaa123456789 ?

Last edited by RetroKarl,
Reactions: Shadow#1

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
@DrunkenMonk dude, I think that you're not very aware of the issues that a lot of people are having with backlight screens. It's recommended to use Stock systems, in order to avoid issues. And obviously it's more than reocommended, while updating a firmware, it can lead to more issues if the power delivery is not the one that the system and the EZFJr needs while they're rewritting important files-codes. It's very important when someone ask for help in troubleshooting to mention all the circumstances in order to find the issue and fix it, take it like " lie to the doctor ", trust me, very bad idea.

There are people with issues almost identical to the ones that you describe, but with stock FW4 & Kernel 1.04e, just because a mod (screen is the most common) in their systems.

With that said, and please, don't misunderstand me. The last firmwares do have a LOT of issues at installation (even the FW5K105RC, it has less, but it has), in almost all cards/systems (Tested on OEM Systems). The only thing that I find very different between your cases, is how difficult is to get them working again, in OEM systems, at least in my case (GBC OEM X2, GBA OEM X2 and tested with 3 EZFJr). I had a lot of issues like the ones that all mention but they get fixed just by rebooting (just once), and installing another FW.

What is your test system @aaaaaa123456789 ?

I go try again in the gba sp 101, is the one console that I have without hardware mods. (hmmm well.... only have a conector jack for headphones)

Anyway, before of the brick (update 1.05 rtc 3) I could update without problems to 1.04 with my GBC with IPS screen.

Another question, If I put in the sdcard only ezgb.dat and the update gb file... this can autoboot?

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I go try again in the gba sp 101, is the one console that I have without hardware mods. (hmmm well.... only have a conector jack for headphones)

Anyway, before of the brick (update 1.05 rtc 3) I could update without problems to 1.04 with my GBC with IPS screen.

Another question, If I put in the sdcard only ezgb.dat and the update gb file... this can autoboot?
There is no autoupdate as GB/GBC does not have L/R

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
There is no autoupdate as GB/GBC does not have L/R

I mean, not the automatic update, but rather that if the sd only has one rom, if it would be loaded automatically without having to go through the menu.

maybe, a mod ezgb.dat file, that if you press select, for example, run the file with the name update.gb, could are the solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu