Hacking EZ-Flash IV Old vs New Help Needed

Excalibur007

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have an EZ-Flash IV that I bought back in 2011 and I love it. I just recently noticed that the new 2015 EZ-Flash is on the market and I'm a little confused on its specs.

Here's what is listed on pretty much all the websites that sell it:

EZ-Flash IV EZ4 Features:
  • New EZ-Flash IV EZ4 MicroSD/SDHC version
  • 256Mb PSRAM (32 Mbytes)
  • 384Mb NorFLASH (48Mbytes)
  • 32Mb Loader (4 Mbytes)
  • 8Mb saver SRAM (1Mbyte)
  • Supports 512Mb - 8GB
  • Simple cart for all your GBA / GBA SP / NDS needs.
  • Support 2GB-32GB microSD/SDHC memory Card
  • Works with microSD. Supports both NDS (passcard required) and GBA ROMs. Works with slot1 flashcards and provide great GBA games support.

Question 1: According to this, it looks like it has double the PSRAM space and 50% more NOR space. However, some of the posts I've read on this forum sound like there is no difference. Can someone please clear this up? Can the new version load larger ROMs? (32MB instead of 16MB)

Question 2: I've looked around and seen mixed info on this, but is the loading time better with the new model compared to the old one when both are loaded with the same firmware?

Question 3: According to several threads on this site and others, NDS mode functionality was removed from the new version, so that last bullet on the sales websites should be removed, or am I understanding that wrong? It will play GBA games on a DS, but not DS games no matter what, correct?

Thank you in advance for your input.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those are the specs for the EZ4 lite deluxe. One site (a notable US vendor) had copied them wrongly way back when and it seems the legacy of that has resulted in this.

1) Technically the NOR is bigger if the chip numbers we looked up are correct but it is soft limited to 256. You could always load 32 meg/greater than 16 megabyte ROMs, they would just have to have gone on the NOR instead and still do here actually but I imagine you already knew this and just omitted it from your post.

2) Worse. I made a video of it somewhere. I forget the thread but if you really want it then http://filetrip.net/dl?TBrZ5YYfQ3 The faster was my old EZ4 miniSD with a 512 meg miniSD, the slower was the new EZ4 the EZTeam sent me using a then current kernel and a decent microSD.

3) Yes NDS mode is gone in the newer kernels, for most the only downside will be the inability to use the DS ROM and save dumping tools. But yes GBA mode works fine in everything that officially has a GBA slot (GBA, SP, micro, GB player) and many of the clones as well. The only thing that causes trouble seems to be a SNES GBA adapter that dumps the GBA cart and then emulates it, obviously with the EZ4 you then just get a snapshot of the loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld