EZ Flash IV - Load last-used game?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by wermy, Nov 19, 2015.

1. wermy
    OP

wermy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    Is there any kind of shortcut for loading the last used game? I was hoping for something like "Hold these buttons while turning it on and it'll load your last-used game."

I know it's kind of a long shot but figured I'd ask. Kind of a pain to dig around to find a particular game that you're playing a lot. :)

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    No, no such functionality on the EZ4 or any previous or subsequent relevant devices. I am not even sure if there have been GBA carts with such a feature.

I should note that left and right will navigate you a page or so at a time and that can improve things, likewise assuming it is not actually last game and just you want to play a given game then you can happily rename the game and the save to put an a at the start. You do also have the NOR.
    If this is more "I want to give it to [younger person in my life]" then afraid you are out of luck.

3. wermy
    OP

wermy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    Ah ok, thank you. Nope, this is just laziness/wanting convenience on my part. I tend to get sucked into one game at a time for long periods, just wanted a quicker way to launch those.

When you say "You do also have the NOR." what do you mean exactly? I mean I know it's there for loading bigger games into that can't run directly from the SD card, but could it also act as a sort of "current favorite game" that is loaded and ready to go all the time?

Thanks again!

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It is meant as a section that does not lose the data when the power goes out, it also happens to be large enough to store the largest dumped games where the RAM section of the non deluxe EZ4s will fall short. It is also the first section you see before you get to the contents of the SD card and will never have more than about 5 things on it at once so no need to scroll around to attempt to find the ROM you want.

5. wermy
    OP

wermy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    Oh, well that sounds like it could be good enough for what I want... How does one go about sending a game dump to the NOR? The help file on the card is in chinese. :\

Thanks for your help!

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Highlight the ROM you want to send, press select and then it should give you the option to send it (or tell you there is not enough room).

If you are on the NOR screen then start will give you the option to format the lot and select should delete the last ROM on the list (limitation of NOR memory so it will always be the last one on the list).

7. wermy
    OP

wermy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    Thank you for this! I'll give it a try tonight. Do you know offhand if playing a game off the NOR will have repercussions as far as save games go? i.e if a game gets removed from NOR does its save game still live somewhere elsewhere, on the SD card?

Also can I ask how you figured that out? Is there a good english user guide for this thing out there?

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Saves should all go fine and behave like they do for the SD card/RAM launched stuff. It should even share it with the one on the SD card if for some reason you decide to flit between the two. or more likely delete it from the NOR for whatever reason.

Figuring it out. It is much the same as their earlier carts and I have been staff on or otherwise involved with the English speaking support forums for quite some time http://ezflash.sosuke.com/
    Not sure what there is for a guide at this point. I was sent a sample of the new one to review but it is mostly as it was then it hit however many years ago so I was going to write a guide and edge cases type review. On edge cases and fixes/workarounds then http://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 will hopefully get you somewhere.
    There once was an English version of the help file on there but if you have installed the newer kernels I think the EZTeam put it back to Chinese and with all the updates we did not make everything nice and easy to sort version of it all again.

9. wermy
    OP

wermy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    Ah ok, thanks again! And yes I had actually found and used that very post to figure some things out, didn't realize that was you. So thanks for that as well. :)