Homebrew RELEASE exult

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As computers evolve, we risk losing classic games from the not-so-distant past. One of these, Ultima 7, an RPG from the early 1990's, still has a huge following, and many consider it to be one of the most immersive games ever produced. Exult is a project to recreate Ultima 7 for modern operating systems, using the game's original plot, data, and graphics files.

This is a pre-alpha release, the controls are somewhat complicated to map and they are all over the codebase, so I wanted to get some feedback

Current Release
https://github.com/capsterx-switch/exult/releases/tag/v1.7.0-switchr1.5

You will need the ultma 7 game, which you need to put in switch/exult/game/<GAME> like switch/exult/game/blackgate where switch/exult/game/blackgate/static exists. Pretty sure Im not allowed to bundle it, so I have not. It also supports silver seed and anything else exult supports, but i have not tested it.

You will need touch screen for now as that is how the events are mapped, let me know if you get 'stuck', unlike most games I've ported so far there is a whole set of event loops in multiple files instead of just one. I don't really expect things to work completely , but i know yo can start and do basic movements, just looking for feedback and I'll improve it based on suggestions.

ChangeLog
r1.5
Adding icon

r1.4
Same code but included digital ogg music

r1.3
This adds per-game key mappings for the switch. There are not any included defaults.

Put the mappings in sdmc:/switch/exult//switch_keys

The file is
SWITCH_KEY = KEYBOARD_KEY
Switch keys are: A B X Y LSTICK RSTICK L R ZL ZR PLUS MINUS DUP DRIGHT DDOWN DLEFT
You can have any combination like
ZL-A
ZL-ZR-A

keyboard key can be a key and a modifier
modifiers are ALT SHIFT CTRL
so you can do ALT-X or SHIFT-CTRL-F

some examples
MINUS = ESC
PLUS = I
ZL-ZR-B = I

r1.2
Fixing input for serpants isle.

r1.1
Added keyboard input for name

Last edited by capsterx,

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS: if anyone has info on how the iphone controls this game, let me know esp if it's an overlay, it's not 100% clear from the codebase and I dont have an iphone. But it looks like that is a good direction to look

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Thanks, I did see that, but the code for it is done in objective-c and it's not something I'm familiar with and it uses some ios specific things, so I was hoping for some screenshots or something to help me understand the code a little better.

On the left you can see the helper and on the right you can see the onscreen escape button + dpad. All the buttons on the top are useable.

Pretty choppy experience tbh, but I have never played the game, maybe mouse and keyboard support would be better? Kinda defeats the point of porting, though.

2020_11_15_15_33_IMG_1014.PNG 2020_11_15_15_33_IMG_1015.PNG

Last edited by octopus,
Reactions: lordelan

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Tried to run Serpent Isle, it loads to the main menu, but I cannot pass through name / portrait screen and journey onward, here's the screenshot:

2 (19).jpg

Btw only touchscreen works, can't move mouse cursor by any of sticks.

Last edited by mathew77,

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to run Serpent Isle, it loads to the main menu, but I cannot pass through name / portrait screen and journey onward, here's the screenshot:

View attachment 234040

Btw only touchscreen works, can't move mouse cursor by any of sticks.

Try clicking 'Journey Onward'. I have not done the work to let name input being done, but when i tested blackgate it let me go without putting one in. I'm aware only the touch screen works for the moment.

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New release adds key mappings, read first post for more
If anyone can come up with a mapping file that works well I can add it as a default. I have only minimally tested it.

Reactions: angelhp

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sound sometimes sounds bad, (It makes a long noise) (for example on Part I )I don't know if it is my version or is it a bug.

Last edited by angelhp,

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sound sometimes sounds bad, (It makes a long noise) (for example on Part I )I don't know if it is my version or is it a bug.

Try the latest version with digital music enabled. I included the ogg versions of all the midi files (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/exult/exult_audio.zip). I think the long noise is where it's not supposed to be playing anything, so prob something related to the midi playing, but the oggs sound better anyway and I think fixes the issue also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn