(Extremely) simple game translations?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by o0fdls, Aug 28, 2009.

Aug 28, 2009
  1. o0fdls
    OP

Newcomer o0fdls Newbie

United States
    The reason I'm posting this is mainly because of the game Doki Doki Majo Shinpan, which has that quirky sense of humor that anime fans know and love (and enjoying the sexual element does NOT make you a pedophile; from what I could deduce and from the size of most of the boobies these are generally rather mature girls.) I read the translation thread and saw people make progress, but they quit because they couldn't make an accurate translation from just online translators.

What I always wonder is, well, why not release that simple translation? It seems like it would be enough to at least understand a game like Doki Doki, or in another game, like Phantasy Star Zero, even if things translate strange - like Monomates becoming Bandages, or Potions, or some other weird thing like that, I really think it would be a massive help to players. Plus, then somebody like me who knows a bit about Japanese grammar and romanji but doesn't understand kanji could try and make sense of things and but them in the right order.

I just feel like a half-finished translation is better than nothing, right?

2. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    You release anything at all and people will whine and beg for more until the day you die.

3. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Yep, and don't depend on others for anything. If you want something done, then do it yourself. Otherwise be happy with what you've got and what others have already made. Asking for stuff will only make you look foolish, because its alot harder than you probably think, and there is nothing "Exetremly" simple about rom hacks/translations.

4. Askepios

Newcomer Askepios Member

United States
    You can't make an accurate translation just from online translators. That shouldn't even be considered as an option. I immediately disregard any kind of person or project that expects translation to be done that way. Online translators are not a substitute for a human translator. Simple as that. That "quirky sense of humor" you like so much, do you really think a machine translation is gonna convey that properly? Not a chance. You'd lose any kind of quality in the writing, and you'd probably lose the entire meaning of most lines.

Japanese to English machine translations are terrible. I can't speak much for others, but Japanese isn't something that can be translated so easily. If you don't have a human proficient in both languages, it's not worth the bother. If I'm gonna play a game, I want a translation that actually makes sense. It's not as simple as some things sounding a little more awkward. I'd imagine that if you had a direct comparison between a properly translated script, and a machine translated one, you'd see two entirely different stories. You just never notice when you only see something in English.

Find something written in both English and Japanese. Translate the Japanese one with an online translator. Compare. See if that's what you want to see when you're playing a game.

And this. I can't believe all the people here just randomly asking for translations like it's some simple thing that can be done in a day. You guys do realize that translations take a long time for actual reasons, right? It's not like the group is just lazy. You're lucky that people are willing to put in the kind of time and effort it takes to do something like that at all. Anything like that can be a pretty big project. That said, if you're gonna put in all the effort to hack a game for a translation, wouldn't you want to at least do it right and have a presentable final product? I know Japanese translators aren't easy to come by, but you'd think quality would be high on your priority list.

5. o0fdls
    OP

Newcomer o0fdls Newbie

United States
    I'm not stupid, I KNOW online translators are inaccurate. And I KNOW that translations take a long time. Did you even READ my post? Or just ignore it and write me off as another incompetent fool who has no idea what he's talking about?

If only it were ever possible to get a straight answer from people things would get done a lot quicker and easier.

Regardless, I don't CARE if you think online translators are accurate, that's not what I asked. I just want to know if the people had been able to use them could release that translation.

I WAS going to ask if anybody could tell me how I could simple use a translator on a game, but I figured I'd get the same BS answers of "it's a waste of time blah blah blah" anyways. Which I did.

At Askepios's claim about online translators resulting in different stories:
    Haven't you ever heard the famous line "All your base are belong to us?" Besides, this is an ONLINE HOBBYIST COMMUNITY so nobody expects things to be perfect. That's the entire POINT of this website, to try and find a medium between nothing and the perfection of a full company release.

6. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    Whoa there, calm down a tad. You've gotta realize that this always happens on the temp. You're always gonna get a reply like this. This question has been seen so many times that people think it gets annoying. If you want help or ideas, try www.romhacking.net/start you may get some answers there. The guides are outdated but accurate nonetheless.