Extracting save data from Xenoblade Chronicles using Homebrew Launcher

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xSASxZaros, Nov 13, 2016.

1. xSASxZaros
    OP

xSASxZaros Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2015
    Hello,

After trying for a few hours last night, I am about ready to give up. I am hoping someone here may be able to help me, so here we go:

I am trying to extract my Xenoblade Chronicles save from my real retail cart of the game, and play it using my Gateway card (As I want to play the game using an UnDub).

I used Gateways boot launcher to extract the rom, along with its header - As well as the save, to my SD card - And did what I would normally do, which was rename the save the titleid, in this case, '000400000F700200.SAV' - And make the rom a .3DZ file... But this didn't work.

I then thought about using Save Data Filer to extract the save from the cart, but Gateways EmuNand doesn't let you use retail carts, so when I boot SDF, it doesn't see the cart..

And in the other EmuNand (blue) mode, you can't run .cias, so I can't use SDF in that one either..

Cue Ninjahax! I can boot into Homebrew Launcher, so I thought I would use that instead - Downloaded a few different save managers for HBL, but whenever I run then and try and extract Xenoblades save, I get a red screen and have to force shutdown.. (It does let me extract other games saves though, so I assume it's something to do with Xenoblade being N3DS only? (I am using a N3DS btw)).

Does anyone know what I can do? - Yes I know I should just update to a newer CFW since Gateway is old now and stuff but I'd rather just stick with what I have at the moment.

Regards.

EDIT: Tried the Xenoblade Chronicles 3D Save Utility program which is on this website, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

Last edited by xSASxZaros, Nov 13, 2016
  2. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Did you try jksm? Also i dont want to force you to do anything, but maybe this is the wrong approach. Gateway cfw while having probably the best and easiest cheat support, has no real advantages right now. If you want to play the undub "which im assuming is a rom hack since only the english voices are in the 3ds version" lumacfw which takes 2 seconds to install will just let you back up the save natively on the 3ds or using jksm, the best save manager i've used. Since you have a n3ds, installing arm9loaderhax is nothing short of pressing a button, no downgrade required. The ntr cfw has also gained the ability to run gateway cheats with certain plugins, so even those remain. Either way, your choice, though i think this would be the easiest and most beneficial option.

Last edited by Giodude, Nov 13, 2016
  3. xSASxZaros
    OP

xSASxZaros Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2015
    Yeah I did, just kept getting the red screen issue - Tried like 5 different save managers now. Oh well.

And yeah, I have thought about getting rid of Gateway but I'm one of those people who think 'Well this works, let's keep it!' - I mean, I understand the chance of something going wrong is next to nothing, but I'd just hate myself so much if I decided to get something like Luma and somehow bricked my console, haha.

I managed to find someones US save which only a few hours behind mine so I guess I'll just use that and catch up.

I will look into the whole Luma thing though, since Gateway is very outdated these days. Thanks. :)

Regards.