ROM Hack Extracting private header from retail copy .sav dump?

timacbosoa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once my Sky3DS comes in, I want to be able to play online by using a private header from a dump of a .sav from my own retail copy of Alpha Sapphire and injecting that header into my ROMs.

If I were to purchase an R4i SaveDongle and dump the .sav with that, what would I have to do from there to extract the header from that .sav? And how would I proceed to inject that header into a different ROM?

Thank you to all the experts here on this forum section of Gbatemp for having the patience to help out the noobs on here like me hehehe/

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Once my Sky3DS comes in, I want to be able to play online by using a private header from a dump of a .sav from my own retail copy of Alpha Sapphire and injecting that header into my ROMs.

If I were to purchase an R4i SaveDongle and dump the .sav with that, what would I have to do from there to extract the header from that .sav? And how would I proceed to inject that header into a different ROM?

Thank you to all the experts here on this forum section of Gbatemp for having the patience to help out the noobs on here like me hehehe/

ROM headers come from the ROM, not the .SAV if I'm not mistaken.

timacbosoa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM headers come from the ROM, not the .SAV if I'm not mistaken.

The powersaves cheat dongle reads the header from the inserted cart and thus it is present in your computer's memory. You can use HxD to dump the powersave's virtual memory and search for known header plaintext (ex. "NCSD") and find the info you're looking for. Yes, I've done it before.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States

Well that's, erm, interesting. I've not heard of that methodology and imagine it isn't standard by any means.

The standard I'm used to is dumping your retail game with Gateway's launcher and then using software to just yank and re-inject the header. If you have 3DS/XL (as opposed to N3DS) that s sub 9.2, you could do it without need for the gateway cartrdige.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
unfortunately, the UniqueID is NOT on the ROM.
It's on another part of the cartridge, and that data is retrieved by Gateway dumper and is placed inside an empty area of the ROM header for convenience.

edit:
I don't know how powersave is working.
apparently it doesn't read the ROM, but it reads the UniqueID to be able to encrypt/decrypt the save.
so the UniqueID is located on the computer's RAM while powersave program is running.
so you need a way to dump your computer's RAM and search for the place where it contains the UniqueID.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

The R4i SaveDongle work with card2 games like Pokemon, in fact it doesn't work with any games that use 7.x encryption. PowerSaves is your only option.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.