ROM Hack Extracting 2D elements from 3DS roms?

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any possible method for unpacking a 3DS rom and viewing the 2D elements? I've been very interested in gathering resources straight from the games, as some 3DS games have some beautiful 2D elements in them. Any ideas? I did find 3DSExplorer, but it appears to simply by a hex explorer as I can't seem to find anything that contains any resource files.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any possible method for unpacking a 3DS rom and viewing the 2D elements? I've been very interested in gathering resources straight from the games, as some 3DS games have some beautiful 2D elements in them. Any ideas? I did find 3DSExplorer, but it appears to simply by a hex explorer as I can't seem to find anything that contains any resource files.
ROMs are encrypted, it's the same reason why ROMs can't be played either. Plus, documentation on 3DS file systems isn't very extensive (yet).

mysticdistance

Fan Translator
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short answer: No, as of right now.

Longer answer: No, because the 3DS private keys for each game have not been decrypted yet, so you cannot access the RomFS.

JORGEARNES

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Anyone know if there ever any way to unpack the ROM 3DS?, Or the console, with the passing of time without being emulated die as did the original Xbox?​

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The original xbox was fairly well hacked and the games decrypted as it were so I am not sure where that comes in.

As the OP was told though 3ds games have not been decrypted yet and we are waiting on keys to do it (they will probably come as part of eventual hacks). There are a handful of unencrypted demo games out there ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-little-bit-of-3ds-rom-hacking.333348/ ) though when I looked I did not get as far as the art assets.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, you could probably do it with ramhax, but that's a bit too complicated to be worth it.
Another option is to get a 3DS capture card, and take screen captures and cut the parts you want out of the screen capture. It's time consuming if you want a large amount of sprites/whatever but it's the easiest way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv