Extracting 2D elements from 3DS roms?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by MarcusRaven, Mar 19, 2013.

Mar 19, 2013
  1. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Is there any possible method for unpacking a 3DS rom and viewing the 2D elements? I've been very interested in gathering resources straight from the games, as some 3DS games have some beautiful 2D elements in them. Any ideas? I did find 3DSExplorer, but it appears to simply by a hex explorer as I can't seem to find anything that contains any resource files.

2. Sülf

Newcomer Sülf Member

Germany
    3ds roms are encrypted, without a decryption key, no

pelago likes this.
  3. Thorhian

Member Thorhian My CPU's prefer Water

United States
    ROMs are encrypted, it's the same reason why ROMs can't be played either. Plus, documentation on 3DS file systems isn't very extensive (yet).

4. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    nope as said above you cant (yet)

5. mysticdistance

Newcomer mysticdistance Fan Translator

United States
    Short answer: No, as of right now.

Longer answer: No, because the 3DS private keys for each game have not been decrypted yet, so you cannot access the RomFS.

6. JORGEARNES

Newcomer JORGEARNES Newbie

Chile
    Anyone know if there ever any way to unpack the ROM 3DS?, Or the console, with the passing of time without being emulated die as did the original Xbox?​

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The original xbox was fairly well hacked and the games decrypted as it were so I am not sure where that comes in.

As the OP was told though 3ds games have not been decrypted yet and we are waiting on keys to do it (they will probably come as part of eventual hacks). There are a handful of unencrypted demo games out there ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-little-bit-of-3ds-rom-hacking.333348/ ) though when I looked I did not get as far as the art assets.

8. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    Well, you could probably do it with ramhax, but that's a bit too complicated to be worth it.
    Another option is to get a 3DS capture card, and take screen captures and cut the parts you want out of the screen capture. It's time consuming if you want a large amount of sprites/whatever but it's the easiest way.