Extra check before soldering picofly modchip

hitman24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, i have a question about soldering switch v2 (marika) with picofly RP2040 flex cable.

This my first experience and we want to do it with my friend with little bit more experience by soldering. We have never soldered thinks so small on a CPU but i am asking to me it is risky to break the Switch when trying?

Are there any peaple here that get any bad results? Is the result most of the time okay?

HawaiianInTown

Friendly Neighborhood Hawaiian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highly advise against doing it if there exists a shred of doubt. Please tell and show us pictures of your soldering gear. You'll need a micro soldering tips for your iron, a jewel loop to double check your soldering work or digital microscope.

EDT: a multimeter wouldn't hurt for double checking soldering too

Stidwack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"never soldered things so small"

- HIGHLY recommended to do some testing on an old PCB/motherboard before diving into this head first. Example, I had an old graphics card lying around that I practiced on first

"is it risky"

- ABSOLUTELY. The components on the Switch motherboard are extremely small and very easy to damage if you don't know what you're doing and/or don't take your time. A digital microscope is basically 100% necessary for these installations

"is the result most of the time okay?"

- The amount of posts on this forum with people that have messed something up far outweigh those who haven't. Again, it's very easy to mess up this kind of installation.

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
like the others have said, dont try it if you lack the skills and dont have the right equipment.

it seems easy when looking at youtube but remember, the people that post those videos have done this countless of times and the video you see are captured from hdmi microscopes etc.

In reality the components are way smaller than you think.
One wrong move with the soldering iron and you will have a big problem and for someone with no previous solder skills it could be almost impossible to fix.

Just removing the cpu shield can be difficult without right equipment and if you are not super careful you could slip and break traces/components.

And yes, the number of people who damage their switch by attempting this is growing each day.

This mod is NOT for beginners.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You should record your efforts and post them on Youtube :)

I've got "decent" soldering skills (for an old guy), I have successfully soldered bigger memory on my game & watch for example. But I don't even think about attempting this. I would need to buy a microscope (and maybe get new glasses), better soldering equipment and have to practice a whole lot before I would be brave enough. The time and money would be better spend on a premodded or patchable switch imho. Asides from this all: I do like the yolo approach, but don't do it if you're not prepared for a bricked switch.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Please don't do it until you get some experience with precise microsoldering first. The huge red warnings in the installation guide are there for a reason - better be safe than sorry.

hitman24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guys, thanks for your answers, very very clear!!

So, just looked to your answers and i am now not planning to do it self, but looking someone to do it for me somehere in belgium or netherlands.

Reactions: BigOnYa and zxr750j

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
and to add to my previous post, a Mariko v2 with flex cable is a walk in the park for someone that have the experience/work with micro soldering.
So dont pay a overprice.

The disassembly, soldering, cutting the shield and assembly is a one hour job for me. The thing that takes time is the backup, creating nand, installation of the software.

So if you could find a guy that does microsoldering and fix the software side by yourself, you could save a lot of money.

With that said, i only do the full mod. Hardware/software so i know that everything works when i leave it to friends/people it works. Everything after that is on them, i did my part. If they fuck up erasing nand or fuck up the software it is on them.

Sure, i can fix it with the backup(that the people get on a usb stick) but i Will charge for it.

madisonswitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, i have a question about soldering switch v2 (marika) with picofly RP2040 flex cable.

This my first experience and we want to do it with my friend with little bit more experience by soldering. We have never soldered thinks so small on a CPU but i am asking to me it is risky to break the Switch when trying?

Are there any peaple here that get any bad results? Is the result most of the time okay?

I agree with @HawaiianInTown ; don't do this if you are unsure.

Take some salt and pour a little bit on your table. Then, separate out 1 grain of salt. Then, ask yourself if you think you can solder something that small. Because, it really is that small, no joke!

Those DIY video guys on YT use microscopes, so everything looks bigger and easier than iRL. Plus, they have pro equipment. Plus, they've done it dozens of times.

If you still want to practice, then watch this before you start soldering:

Last edited by madisonswitch,
Reactions: HawaiianInTown

HawaiianInTown

Friendly Neighborhood Hawaiian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take some salt and pour a little bit on your table. Then, separate out 1 grain of salt. Then, ask yourself if you think you can solder something that small. Because, it really is that small, no joke!

Those DIY video guys on YT use microscopes, so everything looks bigger and easier than iRL.
Nicely put 🤙🏽 my explanation is "it's fricken tiny, okay!" haha

• Haha
Reactions: madisonswitch

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

So, did you Mod your Switch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol