external HDD problems...

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by LWares87, Sep 16, 2012.

1. LWares87
    OP

LWares87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 19, 2008
    I regularly use MPlayer-CE to watch films from my external HDD, but when I use any other applications which support external HDDs... It would timeout after while.

What can I actually do? As I have no problems with MPlayer-CE regarding this issue.

2. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    problematic feature is called hdd sleep
    look wether ther are tools from you hdds manufacturer to disable it
    some tools/cios use a periodic read to circumvent it

3. LWares87
    OP

Oct 19, 2008
    Well, does it depend on what the actual enclosure which the HDD is in? As I provide information on what type of enclosure it is, but as far as I know there aren't no tools for it to disable/enable "sleep mode".

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I think he meant the tools for the HDD inside the enclosure, not the enclosure itself. Check on the manufacturer's page - they should have tools for this.

Another thing that may be wrong is, believe it or not, the cable you're using. I once had to replace a USB cable once due to such issues - the loaders would detect which games are on, but when trying to boot them, the disk always went to sleep. I exchanged it with the one I used for my printer and voila! No more issues. It works perfectly fine with the printer and to this day I don't know why it doesn't want to work with the HDD. ;P

5. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Have you tried using WiiMC its got a nice GUI and seems to work very well with my HDD.

6. LWares87
    OP

Oct 19, 2008
    *facepalm* OMG... I've already tried WiiMC and it doesn't work well when I play movies from my external HDD, as I go to play it and then 5 - 10 minutes later, the drive times out.