external hdd not read on ps4 when plugged in directly but read when plugged into usb hub

masterspike52

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im looking for suggestions, my external 4tb WD hard drive can be read through a usb hub but not when its directly connected to either port on my ps4. ive tried the basic troubleshooting things such as restarting the ps4, unplugging the hdd then plugging it back, having it unplugged while the system restarts then plugging it back in etc... ive even tried rebuilding my database but those didnt fix the issue, the hard drive is readable from my pc and when its plugged into my ps4 it disconnects my wired ps4 controller forcing me to turn it back on with the ps button

EDIT: my goal is to use the hard drive as extended storage

EDIT2: after a day of research after asking multiple people with no answer, i discovered thats what app2usb is for, its jank but itll do

EDIT3: app2usb did nothing to help apparently, still having the same issue

Last edited by masterspike52,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I noticed the same thing with a WD 2TB harddisk.
When connecting an USB harddisk, it tells the PS4 what the harddisk's power requirements are.
I presume that the WD drive tells it wants more power than the PS4 is wanting to deliver.
It has a USB-SS port on my drive which may ask up to 900mA instead of the default 500mA.
When you connect it to a hub, the hub is supposed to take care of such power stuff and the PS4 doesn't check the power requirements.

masterspike52

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed the same thing with a WD 2TB harddisk.
When connecting an USB harddisk, it tells the PS4 what the harddisk's power requirements are.
I presume that the WD drive tells it wants more power than the PS4 is wanting to deliver.
It has a USB-SS port on my drive which may ask up to 900mA instead of the default 500mA.
When you connect it to a hub, the hub is supposed to take care of such power stuff and the PS4 doesn't check the power requirements.
the issue with that is the drive comes with its own power supply so it doesnt have to rely on the system

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1