External HDD in Dock

Flaya

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have an external HDD, where I keep my backups connected to my Switch dock.
Does the dock allow for spindown or similar?
Or should I disconnect the drive when not in use?

If not existing, could such a feature be implemented in Atmosphere perhaps?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I have an external HDD, where I keep my backups connected to my Switch dock.
Does the dock allow for spindown or similar?
Or should I disconnect the drive when not in use?

If not existing, could such a feature be implemented in Atmosphere perhaps?
You can do what you want with an esp s2 mini or similar, then just make an app that connects to it and disables the pin that connects the gnd from the drive to the hub - just make a little hardware interface to do that. If that's beyoud your skill level, well just unplug the drive.

Flaya

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
SciresM doesn't support Warez so he won't implement such feature directly into Atmosphere.
So if I backup my own purchased games, it's considered WAREZ? Well, in my country I'm legally allowed to make backups of any media I own. Sorry for you, if it's not the same for you.
And I don't see how it has anything to do with power-management of connected devices.
You can do what you want with an esp s2 mini or similar, then just make an app that connects to it and disables the pin that connects the gnd from the drive to the hub - just make a little hardware interface to do that. If that's beyoud your skill level, well just unplug the drive.
That would be a feasible option. I will look into it.
Still think it would be a useful feature to add.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I backup my own purchased games, it's considered WAREZ? Well, in my country I'm legally allowed to make backups of any media I own. Sorry for you, if it's not the same for you.
And I don't see how it has anything to do with power-management of connected devices.

Not about that, I just mean that SciresM doesn't support warez so he hasn't implemented a way to read HDD directly off Atmosphere, or run game off HDD.

Reactions: Flaya

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That can be done pretty easily with a transistor. But it's still requiring an app to essentially control whether the drive is connected or not.

If you're going to make this project that complicated, and break out the soldering iron, I'd try to base it off of the HDMI signal. If there's any signal coming out of the HDMI port (meaning the Switch must be on), then connect the ground pin. Otherwise, disconnect it.

But many external drives will automatically spindown after being idle for 10 minutes, so this probably isn't necessary at all. Also consider just using an external NVMe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up