Hacking External Hard Drive Question

INFamousJN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan on buying my nephew a Wii U, and was just wondering if use my Wii U and load the games using homebrew channel on his HD, can I then just plug that hard drive into his new one?

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
yes you can but it's required to format the drive to the wii u's format
but, you can use mocha fat32 mod
but i kinda don't like to work with it, seems really messy
and when you'll plug the drive to the pc after formatting it on the wii u, it'll ask you to format it. windows&macs can't read the drive natively or at all yet. so, you're basically stuck with 2 options. to format it and have the option to put only wii u games on it, or leave it for other stuff
mocha fat32 mod is still a viable option though.

INFamousJN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes you can but it's required to format the drive to the wii u's format
but, you can use mocha fat32 mod
but i kinda don't like to work with it, seems really messy
and when you'll plug the drive to the pc after formatting it on the wii u, it'll ask you to format it. windows&macs can't read the drive natively or at all yet. so, you're basically stuck with 2 options. to format it and have the option to put only wii u games on it, or leave it for other stuff
mocha fat32 mod is still a viable option though.

Sorry, i think you misunderstood. I would not hook it up to the PC again. I will hook it up to my Wii U. Install all the games using the wupinstaller on the homebrew channel. Then just plug it straight into the new Wii U. Was wondering if that would work?

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Sorry, i think you misunderstood. I would not hook it up to the PC again. I will hook it up to my Wii U. Install all the games using the wupinstaller on the homebrew channel. Then just plug it straight into the new Wii U. Was wondering if that would work?
yup, it would. make sure to buy a y cable though. some hard drives don't REQUIRE a y cable to work on the wii u, but they can be damaged thoughout the lifetime of the drive

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup, it would. make sure to buy a y cable though. some hard drives don't REQUIRE a y cable to work on the wii u, but they can be damaged thoughout the lifetime of the drive
That won't work. The external HD is "locked" to the original Wii u. When you plug it into the new wii u it will ask you to format it again

Reactions: wicksand420

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
That won't work. The external HD is "locked" to the original Wii u. When you plug it into the new wii u it will ask you to format it again
Oh I didn't understand the question
I thought he just wanted to connect it to the Wii U and that's all
Sorry for missleading, you CAN'T do it
As said above, the drive will be locked to the old Wii U and the new one will ask to format it
I get what you want to do; Homebrew without purchasing a VC game again, right?
Well sorry to tell but it won't work
Again sorry for missleading
Although doing all of that with mocha fat32 mod will work I think, isn't it? But you'll have to launch it from the BROWSER everytime you want to use the drive with the games and if you're on 5.5.2 it will be even less reliable
@INFamousJN

Last edited by LaPingas,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I didn't understand the question
I thought he just wanted to connect it to the Wii U and that's all
Sorry for missleading, you CAN'T do it
As said above, the drive will be locked to the old Wii U and the new one will ask to format it
I get what you want to do; Homebrew without purchasing a VC game again, right?
Well sorry to tell but it won't work
Again sorry for missleading
Although doing all of that with mocha fat32 mod will work I think, isn't it? But you'll have to launch it from the BROWSER everytime you want to use the drive with the games and if you're on 5.5.2 it will be even less reliable
@INFamousJN
Mocha and fat32 is only used for loadiine. You can't use mocha and a fat32 external USB drive for WUP installer method

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans