External Hard Drive Issues PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by yusuo, Jul 5, 2012.

Jul 5, 2012

External Hard Drive Issues PC by yusuo at 12:45 PM (296 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. yusuo
    OP

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Right i'm having a few problems with a external hard drive,, basically Ive been using this hard drive for about 2-3 years now it doesnt move at all.

The hard drive worked before I went on holiday but when I came back, nothing.

When I plug it into Windows it finds the drive but it'll either crash Explorer or state "insert removable drive" when its clicked on.

When I insert it into linux I get "dbus error org.gtk.private.remotevolumemonitor.failed an operation is already pending" and it can;t be seen using fdisk.

I have a feeling and hope that maybe the caddy is on its way out, Ive got alot of photos on there that cant be replaces and if worst comes to worst need access to the drive just to get those off.

Any suggestions anyone

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It could be the PCB of the caddie that's broken whilst on holiday. It could also be the PCB of the HDD, or the mechanism, or the Filing System, or a number of things.

Fact is, external drives will die a lot faster than internal drives because of how they're handled (bumps and vibrations cause a lot of damage).

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    when i lost my data, i used a program like this to retrieve it:

MiniTool Power Data Recovery 6.5

you have to be patient though it takes a long time, the more bigger the data the longer it will take, also do not delete or alter the hard drive as you have a more chance of your data being recovered if you don't mess with the hard drive even further.

btw it wasn't a western digital was it?

also in future learn to backup your data in multiple places, i have my photos backed up to 2 hard drives at least, it may seem extreme but when the worst happens like in your situation it will be a godsend.

4. yusuo
    OP

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Oh it isnt my hard drive, with all due respect to who it does belong to I'm not that retarded. Ive got one copy on my external as well as a dropbox, photobucket and google drive backups, so yeah im prepared lol

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    you are good to go :D