Hacking External Hard Drive Issue

JonathonPetruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I looked around on the internet and couldn't find any help, so im posting this here.

I have a 465gb iPro hd that I was using on my softmodded wii. It was formatted with 2 partitions : Fat32 (for files and apps) and wbfs (for backups). It was working fine till one day my wii wouldnt recognize the HD in homebrew. I plugged it into my computer and it asked me to format. I dont care for the files (because i can easilly replace them) so I tried formatting it to NTFS, but I get the error : windows could not format drive. (ive also tried Fat32 and exFat) So i tried using Disk management, to delete the volume and try and make a new one. I can delete the volumes but when i try to refmormat it its never successful. To put files on the HD it needs to be formatted, but i cant format it, so im stuck. Ive also tried a program called Killdrive to restore the HD but it also gets an error. In cmdprompt when i chkdsk it says the file format is raw and it cant be read.. it was suposed to format in NTFS.  I can make a 1gb - 4gb partition in disk managent, but i cant put files on it, explorer crashes when i try. Exfat also works to format the whole drive but I still cant put files on, again explorer takes too long to respond. I used to get the error : windows cannot access, parameters are incorrect, or something like that... if you can help me out just leave a reply on this post :)

Sly 3 4 me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using EASEUS Partition Manager to view the drive. At the very least it should be able to detect it and note what the current status is. Having the drive show raw is not very good, as it shows something may have gone wrong while you were formatting it or using it. EASEUS is what I use for all of my devices and hard drives. Give it a shot, and hopefully it will display some results, or a bit of insight as to what the current status is of the drive.

JonathonPetruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try using EASEUS Partition Manager to view the drive. At the very least it should be able to detect it and note what the current status is. Having the drive show raw is not very good, as it shows something may have gone wrong while you were formatting it or using it. EASEUS is what I use for all of my devices and hard drives. Give it a shot, and hopefully it will display some results, or a bit of insight as to what the current status is of the drive.

k so ive downloaded easus partition manager, and opened it up. it says the drive is unnalocated. its a 450gb drive and it says its only 3.8gb. also it doensnt show any other partitions with the rest of the space..? Im gonna try a partition recovery in easus. Also if anyone has a fix for this problem please share! :) I dont need the files i just need the drive to work.

Sly 3 4 me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting that it shows the partition you mentioned creating before. See how the partition recovery works in EASUS I suppose. I have never tried it, but if it shows progress rather than giving an error while initiating it, that would probably be a good sign. Prior to this, when you tried to run the chkdisk, did you try formatting the drive through the command prompt with FORMAT $Drive Letter$:\ ?

Trying to see if you can create a partition from the unallocated space also would be a good idea, as Luigi mentioned.

JonathonPetruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Interesting that it shows the partition you mentioned creating before. See how the partition recovery works in EASUS I suppose. I have never tried it, but if it shows progress rather than giving an error while initiating it, that would probably be a good sign. Prior to this, when you tried to run the chkdisk, did you try formatting the drive through the command prompt with FORMAT $Drive Letter$:\ ?

Trying to see if you can create a partition from the unallocated space also would be a good idea, as Luigi mentioned.

sorry about quoting everybody idont know how to reply without quoting what you said.
Okay like a few hours ago it said 450gb unallocated then i plugged t in again and it says 3.86gb. i cant even wipe the 3.86 because it says its write protected... also i cant view it in my computer i can take write protection off in security, but the drive isnt there. also i cant check it with chkdsk, or format it with cmd because the drive doesnt have a drive letter assigned, and i cant even give it a drive letter unitl its partitioned, cant partition because its write protected, cant take off write protection because it doesnt apear in my computer with a drive letter :S its like some sort of loop hole!.. thanks for the help btw everyone :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT