Hardware External hard drive disconnects randomly Windows 10

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,104
  • Replies 15
D

Deleted User

OP
I have a 4 TB External with most of my PC games and emulator roms stored on it. It sometimes will just randomly disconnect and I haven't found a fix I tried power and sleep settings but it didn't help. Does anyone know maybe like an autohotkey script that can reconnect it automatically or any other suggestions?

thanks

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I have a 4 TB External with most of my PC games and emulator roms stored on it. It sometimes will just randomly disconnect and I haven't found a fix I tried power and sleep settings but it didn't help. Does anyone know maybe like an autohotkey script that can reconnect it automatically or any other suggestions?

thanks

Which Type please ?
Is it USB selfpowered or with an Power Adapter ?
Is it connected to the Mainboard USB Ports or to the PC Front Case or an Hub please ?

Thank you.:)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say sleep settings, did you check the option in device management, allow this pc to turn off this device.

D

Deleted User

OP
When you say sleep settings, did you check the option in device management, allow this pc to turn off this device.

I've tried but I don't have that option for my hard drive. It should be to the right of "Events"

Untitled.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello.:)

Which Type please ?
Is it USB selfpowered or with an Power Adapter ?
Is it connected to the Mainboard USB Ports or to the PC Front Case or an Hub please ?

Thank you.:)

Power adapter, it is connected to a hub which could be causing the problem. My laptop only has 3 ports and I have a lot of things hooked up.

Reactions: Alexander1970

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried but I don't have that option for my hard drive. It should be to the right of "Events"

View attachment 245454

Power adapter, it is connected to a hub which could be causing the problem. My laptop only has 3 ports and I have a lot of things hooked up.
Same with me. 3 ports. 4 hdds plugged in. 2 in a hub.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 245454

What happen if you connect directly to one of the three ports not to a hub? Since you have a power supply it is not drawing power from the hub it is only reading/writing data.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My drives never disconnect, but sometimes I hear the sound of something being disconnected. I don't know what it is though.

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@JustJay
I don't know if you fixed your issue or not, but I'm also having that same issue and I'm plugged directly into my front USB3. My 4TB HDD is formatted in exFAT and it's externally powered with a 5amp brick. I've tried everything with no luck. I honestly think it may have to do with a windows update recently because I've never had this issue before. This is really recent.

Last edited by White_Raven_X,
D

Deleted User

OP
It does it much less now maybe once every few weeks used to be every day but honestly I don't remember exactly what I did to stop it. I did mess with sleep settings though but I can't remember if that's what fixed it.

D

Deleted User

OP
My problem was definitely the hub, I only have 3 usb ports in my laptop but I had to use one for the external had zero problems ever since.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones