Ext2/Ext3 Driver

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by OOPMan, Jan 25, 2010.

Jan 25, 2010

Ext2/Ext3 Driver by OOPMan at 9:05 AM (2,121 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. OOPMan
    OP

Newcomer OOPMan Member

South Africa
    Does anyone have any idea why no one has developed an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem driver that could be used in general Wii homebrew and applications. I know that I would appreciate having the option in MPlayer CE, since most of my hard drives are formatted as ext3 or ext4.

Anyone know if any work has been done on this?

2. Vattu

Member Vattu GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    probably because not many users need more than ntsf and fat. everything is open-source, so please go ahead and implement ext support!

3. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    All users need more than NTFS and FAT but most of them don't know it.

FAT has much limitations.
    The open source implementation of NTFS is experimental and writing is still a problem.

ext2/ext3 is the perfect solution: open source, well tested, fast, many features.

4. Vattu

Member Vattu GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    but is it vastly used? most users here are on windows platforms, I'm one of them. Have never ever come in contact with ext2/3/4 on windows. I tried linux on my PS3 once and used ext#, but that's all.

many developers don't write their stuff unnecessarily. it's a big effort and sometimes pain to make something work. if there isn't a big enough userbase (market) for a program, then why write it?

I know some people adhere to the above statement, but many such projects are only proof-of-concepts, just like the n64-emulator. noone wants to play n64-games with horrible framerates. the devs knews this from the beginning, and carried out a release anyway.

the devs of cfg usb loader (and probably some other popular ones) have written a "template" for file systems. implementing a new file system wouldn't be so difficult.

5. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    I use ext2/ext3 under windows for data partitions and all my USB drives. The driver "Ext2 Installable File System For Windows" work very good under XP and Vista (I have no Win7 experience) and supports sparse files too.

6. sonoranreptile

Newcomer sonoranreptile Member

United States
    The combination of FAT/WBFS on my HDD works and has worked well for months.....not really sure if we need more file system integration. Should maybe work on streaming/FTP capabilities and working out the bugs in some of the newer emulator update..I.E. MAME, WiiSX, Wii64, etc.... Just a thought

7. boondoklife

Member boondoklife GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would love to see EXT3 support put into the mix, but really I don't think it would happen. Most people just will not use it because either A) they use windoes B) The use a mac or.... Well actually I ran out of reasons, suffice it to say that if they are a majority of the user base out there, they wont see a need for ext3. Only us linux people will, and well we are intelligent enough to figure out how to get FAT working just fine with out a support line.

But again I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT HAPPEN...

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Maybe years ago, but NTFS-3G had it's stable 1.0 release in Feb. 2007, and is still under active development for compatibility with newer versions of NTFS and speed.

9. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    im running linux with the latest ntfs-3g and writing is fine as far as i can tell. i have 5 NTFS partitions that i regularly write multiple GB files to. so far nothing has killed it. and periodic checks using chkdsk in windows always show no errors o the drive.

at the same time, i have tried the various methods to mount my etx4 partition while running windows and they all see the drive and acknowledge that it is ext4. but they all fail to mount it and let me access the data. even worse, 2 of them corrupted the partition while trying to mount it and i had to use a linux live CD to even be able to repair the partition and not lose my data.

so right now, NTFS is the better choice in my opinion simply because i trust that i can mount the partition in either OS and it will work.

10. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    they are talking about ntfs writing on usbloaders

11. OOPMan
    OP

Newcomer OOPMan Member

South Africa
    I'd love to, but alas work keeps me too busy to even consider it :-(

I think ext support would be a win because there are people who use it, even if they are in the minority. Also, as Wiimm pointed out, there are ext drivers for Windows and they do work (Although, as giantpune pointed out, ext under windows does sometimes have issues).

Still, I think ext would be better choice than either NTFS, WBFS or FAT32 for ISO storage...

12. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    the thing about NTFS-3G is this - everything works fine until something abruptly stops a write. Then you can kiss your partition goodbye.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You sure? 'Cause that's why Journaling was invented, and every modern filesystem, including NTFS, uses journaling. If the filesystem is left in an inconsistent state, it can be recovered to a working state at the expense of the data involved at the time of the problem.

14. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    's a problem with NTFS-3G sometimes - it kills shit. The woes of reverse engineering. Anyway, comment about NTFS-3G being irrelevant - it's the basis for all NTFS reading and writing that isn't licensed from MS.

15. MarioMadness

Member MarioMadness GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    libext4wii for the win i say.