Ext. Drive Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by jellyman223, Nov 1, 2010.

Nov 1, 2010
  1. jellyman223
    OP

Newcomer jellyman223 Member

United States
    Hey guys I'm making the jump from 16gb usb to a External Drive for my games and I'm looking for some recommendations! I figure a 500gb should be enough
    (maybe a 1tb?) I'm just looking for a cheap and reliable one that will work with my wii with no problems, I use USB Loader with Cios 249...

2. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i'm a huge fan of the WD portables....

but, in actuality, pretty much any mainstream brand, USB2.0 HDD will work, portable or not....

3. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I'm using a 300GB HDD and I'm not even close to taking up 30% of the drive even though I have almost 30 games. So unless you're planning to install a massive collection of titles, most of which probably isn't necessary because of all the crap on the Wii anyways, 500GB HDD is more than enough in my opinion.

4. strapsoz

Newcomer strapsoz Member

Australia
    I use the WD elements drives. Have used both 1TB ext power and the 320GB usb powered.

No compatibility issues with Configurable loader or WiiMC using FAT32 (used fat32format to format). I even run the programs off the hdd, ie no SD card

Cheaper than their swanky essentials, mybook, etc

5. petspeed

Member petspeed GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    I have used WD, Medion, Packard Bell, Verbatim without problems. The only drives that have caused me problems is IOMega and a Philips branded external disc.

I have seen a Medion 500 GB 2,5" HDD with USB 3.0 interface for sale for the same price as the old USB 2.0 drive I am using now. Anyone know if a USB 3.0 is backwards compatible and will work on the Wii? I know off course that I won't get the USB 3.0 speed but the price is the same, then I could use the high speed in my computer but still use it on the Wii with normal speed.

Thanks and jellyman sorry for asking in your thread...

6. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I second that You need a hard drive hat is not externally powered. As for size get the best ratio price /gb. as you need to put movies too on it and anime and tv shows and music... so you can watch that also on your wii...