The Incredible Sulk
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, outside of the gimmicky camera, an SD slot to store the poor quality pictures from that gimmick cam, and DSi Ware, which if its anything like Wii ware, hardly worthwile.

What gives you non Japan gamers hope that the DSi will be any good.

Remember that on average we get like one fifth the content and games they do, they live in a market where they get the things that could make the DSi a quality handheld.

Japan always takes full advantage of the eatures of their nintendo products, where as stateside they often seem like an afterthought, consider Wifi multiplayer which is not only shoddy at best in some games but often left out all together.

So why after 2 decades of the same old (Japan getting the best of Nintendo, and the most out of their Nintendo products) does anyone think the DSi will be any different. People will essentially be paying 80-100 dollars more than the DSL for a gimmicky camera, an SD slot, and the hopes that we will finally get more, from say Dsi Downloads/DSi Ware
which will no doubt both be huge in Japan, but I predict it being nearly forgotten ater a few months here.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I care about is the bigger/nicer screen. That alone makes is all worthwhile. Could care less about the camera and dsiware though.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Why you even ask? It's the shorter life batteries, of course!
Iwata: (laughs)

Really, I guess the only good upgrade about the DSi are the better sound speakers. Bigger screen? No thanks, I'm a sprite whore and couldn't stand to see a stretched image.
If only the D-Pad and shoulder buttons were better I might have even considered getting one, but looks the same as DSL, so no thanks.

Friendo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mine getting one since my DS Lite is in somewhat bad condition.
frown.gif

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New firmware, built in web browser, WPA support, DSiWare games, DSi Exclusive games will have better capabilities then the current DS.
Alot better upgrade then the Phat to Lite upgrade that alot of people did. The Phat to Lite did what? A brighter screen and smaller design. Oh, and lets not forget the fact that GBA games stuck out. That cost $130. With this you get MUCH more features then the NDSL.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To the majority, nothing..... but if your one of those people that have an old phat or lite thats dead or about to die then I guess for them it may be worth an upgrade,but to me I think it's a pointless upgrade.....

davislim

Trophies
Website
davis91lim.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
Senegal
all these under my opinion:

pros:
louder sound
no more fingerprint collecting shells
web-browser

con:
large screen (fatter mario)
large speaker holes (collect dust easily)
power buttons on top (may switch off accidentally)
short power lasting time (need to plug to charger often while playing)
cameras (low megapixel...bad quality image)
power button color for black dsi doesn't match...
GBA slot gone (no more guitar hero)
many useless app
firmware...(hate tat)

Shivers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
skyman747 said:
New firmware, built in web browser, WEP support, DSiWare games, DSi Exclusive games will have better capabilities then the current DS.
Alot better upgrade then the Phat to Lite upgrade that alot of people did. The Phat to Lite did what? A brighter screen and smaller design. Oh, and lets not forget the fact that GBA games stuck out. That cost $130. With this you get MUCH more features then the NDSL.

The original DS had a lot of flaws which the DSl fixed, these fixes were universal to every person who used one, unlike the changes to the DSi which are mostly not as big and won't be made use of by all.

Just how I see it at least.

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
the repositioning of the buttons is a definate plus.

also i think the ds cam is a pretty good idea. i don't take my regular camera with me everywhere but i do take my ds.
sure the quality may not be that good but at least i can take pics more often.
can't take pics with a camera you don't have.

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
skyman747 said:
New firmware, built in web browser, WEP support, DSiWare games, DSi Exclusive games will have better capabilities then the current DS.
the dsl/ds already has WEP support what they didn't have was WPA support and can anyone tell me if the DSi does have WPA compatability coz this might persuade me into getting one of these one day since my wifi connector stopped working once my computer switched to wireless internet T_T oh and i like that the d-pad is more like the ds's ones ^^
hmm so according to inthegray's review the internet is slow T_T thats a minus

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly there really is nothing that makes the DSi worthwhile... it was just a feeble attempt by Nintendo to block the rampant piracy on the DS so they added a few useless features.

If you already own a DS Lite then it's pointless getting a DSi, because honestly the camera, SD card slot, web browser, and DSiWare are all gimmicks that you'll enjoy for 5 minutes and never touch again. You'll just use it for playing DS Games which your Lite handles perfectly fine.

On the other hand, if you don't have a DS Lite then a DSi would be the way to go when it hits here because then you can enjoy the 5 minute gimmicks.

inthegray

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pieman202 said:
the dsl/ds already has WEP support what they didn't have was WPA support and can anyone tell me if the DSi does have WPA compatability coz this might persuade me into getting one of these one day since my wifi connector stopped working once my computer switched to wireless internet T_T oh and i like that the d-pad is more like the ds's ones ^^
hmm so according to inthegray's review the internet is slow T_T thats a minus

dsi has wpa1 and wpa2 support. that support isn't retroactive (i don't think that's possible), though, only for newer games and dsi features.

Reaper

Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
skyman747 said:
With the DSi you can't even play your GBA games
rofl2.gif

bobfernando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, personally, Im getting it so I could have a DS with a working top screen. Ever since I tried the casemod and completely dicked up my Lite, Ive been waiting for an inevitable new model of the DS line to be released. So come the end of Q1 '09, Ill be picking one up. And ill keep my Lite for the GBA games since the bottom screen still works.

Earl

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
klyick said:
davislim said:
firmware...(hate tat)

You hate firmware?

What do you think of software? Or shareware, for that matter?

haha : D also pretty nice how he mentions DSi having a camera as a con.

Anyway, i find it pretty hilarious that people have not mentioned the 1 thing that will make DSi worthwhile.

*drumroll*

*more drumroll*

It plays DS games.
Oh, and you can get flashcarts for it to play homebrew/emulate other systems on it etc. The DSi is just an upgraded DS, like DS lite was an upgraded DS phat. Obviously it adds quite a bit more features then what Phat-> lite did, but still, i doubt the DSi is worth getting unless your current DS is giving you troubles.

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
bobfernando said:
For me, personally, Im getting it so I could have a DS with a working top screen. Ever since I tried the casemod and completely dicked up my Lite, Ive been waiting for an inevitable new model of the DS line to be released. So come the end of Q1 '09, Ill be picking one up. And ill keep my Lite for the GBA games since the bottom screen still works.

Break the top-screen off!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff