Exisiting Nintendo Network ID Question

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by thaddius, Dec 26, 2013.

1. thaddius
    OP

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Just got a Wii U for Xmas and had a couple of questions.

I already have a Nintendo Netrowk ID (NNID) from using the Miiverse on my 3DS. When I try to use my NNID to start the system I get one of two errors: 1) "In order to use the online services, a system update is required." Something I can't do without an ID, and 2) "An error occurred. Please try again later."

Nintendo is having a lot of problems with their network right now so I don't know if this is an issue with the network or some loophole where I can't use an existing NNID on a new Wii U system without an update.

I was in Nintendo Customer Support's queue, but I got disconnected from that as they're not letting anyone else in the queue.

Should I just make a new NNID from scratch that I can change later? Should I wait to play my glorious new system?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    One doesn't need an NNID at all to run a system update. That being said, you're right that Nintendo is having a lot of problems with their network right now. It'll probably be at least a couple days before you can do anything NNID-related.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's probably better to wait until the eShop actually works and then trying again.

4. thaddius
    OP

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    I checked the Nintendo Tech Forums and found this post that seems to mirror my problem. Everyone says just wait. :(

5. BIFFTAZ

BIFFTAZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2010
    Most Wii U's being sold now still don't have that massive day one update. Your pretty much stuck until you except that update.

Try this: Turn off your router so that your Wii U doesn't detect a wireless connection, Make a dummy account so that you can atleast play a few games while Nintendo fix these issue's.

6. thaddius
    OP

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Just waited and things worked out. Downloading Wind Waker right now.