Hacking Exception, Data: abort - Specific Game Crashing

Metrolol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster.
I'm running into an odd issue as a first time CFW user.
My main interest was playing Pokemon rom hacks and games in general with this, so I installed a bunch of 3ds and 2ds titles, but heard you could convert a .gba file to a .cia file and install GBA hacks as well.

I did that yesterday using the GBA Injector program posted here on these forums, but looking through the thread I wasn't able to find anyone who had the issue I was having.

So I installed the game through FBI as a cia, then booted it up just to see if it worked via the virtual console, as I wasn't decided if that was the right option or if I should just use an emulator in the future for gba titles.

Then some time later, without any interaction with the title, I scrolled over it by accident and it crashed my system with the attached error.

I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff yet, but I know it happens every time I select the icon from the home screen, so my initial though is to just uninstall it and move on, as its not something I really even cared to have on the system.
The problem is, when I go to uninstall it the standard way in the system menus, as soon as that list populates, the same crash occurs.
So I tried to uninstall in FBI, and the same problem happens there as well.

Is this all a coincidence or something? If not, it seems that some how this title has gone rogue and I'd like to fix the problem or remove it entirely.

Since I can't do it with the 3ds itself, I assume there has to be some way to do it by manipulating the files on the microSD card right?
I can't seem to find any easy answer to this question though, so I decided to post about it here instead.

I even tried a second install of the same game, and it works fine, but the first install is still there on the homescreen crashing every time I interact with it.

So tldr:
What is causing this problem, and how can it be fixed?
or, at worse
How can I uninstall and remove this game if every time I load the stuff to do it it crashes there as well. Can it be done in the SD card on my PC?

Let me know if there is any other pertinent information you guys need.
I'm using Luma 9.1
on sys 11.8.0-41U

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 194

Metrolol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check if your SD card is fake.

Fake!? What does that even mean lol? What recourse would I have it was? I actually have another card laying around that I bought from amazon.
Should I transfer everything over there and see if the problem is solved?

Anyway, is there no way to "uninstall" games from the sd card directly?
The only problem I'm having is that one title, so I'd like to get rid of it and see if that fixes the problem.

According to your response, I assume you believe that the problem is not just the one title, and instead a greater problem is manifest through it?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fake!? What does that even mean lol? What recourse would I have it was? I actually have another card laying around that I bought from amazon.
Should I transfer everything over there and see if the problem is solved?
If your have a counterfeit or defective SD card, your issue stems from data corruption. You need look in that post in what to do to check if it's fake or not.

If the card's no good, you replace it with another card that's been checked to be real.

You should test all your SD card, usb drive, compact flash, or any flash memory product before placing your trust in using them.

Anyway, is there no way to "uninstall" games from the sd card directly?

Delete the title subfolder that corresponds to your game. You'll need to search at advanscene.com, 3dsdb.com or that title site as reference.
  • Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/0004000/########
However, the 3DS will still recognize that game as present when it's not.

The only problem I'm having is that one title, so I'd like to get rid of it and see if that fixes the problem.
You could try to delete and reinstall the game. However, if a similar incident like what you experienced happens again, you should consider H2testw testing the card to determine if the fault lies in hardware or software.

According to your response, I assume you believe that the problem is not just the one title, and instead a greater problem is manifest through it?
The SD card is the foundation of building a functional and stable 3DS setup.

Yes. Anytime there's an unexpected game crash or 3DS behaving strangely, one of the first suspicion is whether or not the card is faulty before considering it's a software or custom firmware problem.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Metrolol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Anytime there's an unexpected game crash or 3DS behaving strangely, one of the first suspicion is whether or not the card is faulty before considering it's a software or custom firmware problem.

I see, so is it sufficient to simply transfer everything on this card to the one I bought from amazon? Or is there some other process that needs to be done in order to transfer it all over.

My concern with deleting the title, regardless, is its not an actual game that will appear anywhere. Its a gba rom that I used the injector to put on the console. Not sure I could even tell, right?
Maybe the best option is to try deleting one at a time until its gone, with backups along the way?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, so is it sufficient to simply transfer everything on this card to the one I bought from amazon? Or is there some other process that needs to be done in order to transfer it all over.
When upgrading or transferring your data to a different SD card, all you do is copy & paste everything.

Before you do that, you need to make sure your second (empty) card bought from Amazon is a real one with H2testw and that it's properly formatted in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size.

That doesn't answer the question of whether or not your data was corrupted from the original card. Check that with H2testw in order to know for sure data is intact.

My concern with deleting the title, regardless, is its not an actual game that will appear anywhere. Its a gba rom that I used the injector to put on the console. Not sure I could even tell, right?
If you have the original GBA VC *.cia, there's a way to check it's Title ID using Ultimate GBA VC Injector for 3DS.

• import a pre-made GBA VC CIA (must be decrypted!)
In the Next step (VC parameters), it'll tell you the Title ID.

Only use that program to check the Title ID because it's an outdated injector. For Virtual Console injections, use New Super Ultimate Injector.

Maybe the best option is to try deleting one at a time until its gone, with backups along the way?
Nah, that's really messy and doesn't answering the pressing question: is the card at fault or is there something wrong with the custom firmware?

Metrolol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When upgrading or transferring your data to a different SD card, all you do is copy & paste everything.

Before you do that, you need to make sure your second (empty) card bought from Amazon is a real one with H2testw and that it's properly formatted in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size.
I'll run these tests, but I still don't understand how something like this can be fake. Its holding data, I've been adding and removing things from it for a while now.
What's fake about it?
Furthermore, who is to blame if your diagnostics return results to support it being fake?
Should I be demanding my money back from the vendor?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll run these tests, but I still don't understand how something like this can be fake. Its holding data, I've been adding and removing things from it for a while now.
What's fake about it?
Furthermore, who is to blame if your diagnostics return results to support it being fake?
Should I be demanding my money back from the vendor?
A fake card doesn't mean that it can't hold data. The key difference between fake or real is the reliability factor.

Think of a fake card like a bucket with a pinhole on the bottom. While that bucket can still hold water, you wouldn't use or trust it carrying it long distances or duration.

Now let's extend that analogy. Imagine you supposedly bought 4 gallon buckets when they're in fact 3 gallons with many tiny pin holes. You don't notice anything amiss if you use your buckets in a wet setting (maybe you're a car wash person who frequently dumps and refills in-between washes), so you don't see the hard to notice leaks. Also, you never come anywhere close to filling the entire 4 gallons.

Let's say there's an off chance you find yourself in the scenario your town was struck with a forest fire that burned down much in its ensuing path and having raged for several days; luckily for you, you've escaped much of harms way and your business is intact. You hear from the news that the other side of your town has its water supply cut off due to fire damage and that people there are in dire need of potable, drinking water.

They are requesting at least 400 gallons of water to last a few more days until enough fire fighting reinforcement arrivals to stabilize the fire. As for why these people haven't left or evacuated the danger zone, all road routes are in flames save for the one route that leads directly to their and your sides of the town. The road lane leading away from the burning side is jammed with traffic; the lane that goes to theirs is clear.

The only person who can reasonably get that water to your fellow town folks in time is you.

It just so happens that you have exactly 100 of those "four" gallon buckets and that you have a big enough truck to carry all 100 of them with lids included (to prevent spilling). Let's also say you have enough employees to fill and load those buckets onto the truck without anyone noticing the leaks or keeping tracking how much water is actually being filled.

In this scenario, you will fail to save everyone or anyone not only because the most you could ever deliver is 300 gallons of water if leaking was out the question but also because you're most likely to deliver little to no water until you notice the issue too late at the end of your long journey.

You will now forever live with the guilt and shame of having bought wholesale discounted, counterfeit buckets at alibaba. If only you could have taken the time to check measuring their actual capacity and observing for quality issues beforehand, every person could have been saved from dying of thirst...

Good thing a terrible story like that didn't happen and doesn't have to happen, so yah check your SD card with H2testw. :)

If you determine the card to be fake and bought it recently, try to get a refund if the retailer's return policy allows it, and the sale is still within the return period.

If your card isn't fake, there are some other things we can check for.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Metrolol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing a terrible story like that didn't happen and doesn't have to happen, so yah check your SD card with H2testw. :)

If you determine the card to be fake and bought it recently, try to get a refund if the retailer's return policy allows it, and the sale is still within the return period.

If your card isn't fake, there are some other things we can check for.

Haha, a bit long winded, but either way thanks for your help on this matter.
I wish you told me just how long this process would take though!

I ran the tests on the blank sandisk card I bought from amazon and that has been sitting unpacked for a long time now, and everything went perfectly. Took like 30 minutes.
I then copied all the files from my current card to this new one and as I was windows alerted me to a file being corrupted. I chose to ignore that file and when I finished copying and loading up the new card, I noticed that the install of that GBA game I mentioned was just gone. I was able to uninstall it and had no problems since.

Now I'm currently running those tests on the original card. Its taking like twice as long though. Estimated 54 minutes at the start. About 20 minutes into it. 30 more to go.

If there is something to report, I will.
As it stands, using the files minus the corrupted one on the new card seems to have fixed all the problems though.

I suppose that means that some how that specific title was corrupted?
Any idea on how that might have happened?
Is it still likely because of the card itself?

Anyway, I'll learn more in 30~ minutes.
Until then, thanks for your help!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I even tried a second install of the same game, and it works fine, but the first install is still there on the homescreen crashing every time I interact with it.
this says to me that the first install was installed to the sysnand:nand instead of sysnand:sd . . . and if this is the case then removing the file is the only fix for the freezing this is normally done using fbi . . . but you said fbi crashes for you my question is where are able to look at the sysnand nand partition via fbi? or rather when does fbi crash?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose that means that some how that specific title was corrupted?
If you did nothing out of the ordinary like pull out your SD card while the 3DS was in use, remove the battery while a read/write was taking place, or an instant shut off occurred due to an old battery that can't hold a charge, your game shouldn't corrupt.

Other than a bad SD card that's either fake, defective, or too slow (speed rating of Class 4 or lower), another thing to contend with is a failing SD slot reader. This one is slightly harder to pinpoint if it still works but occasionally derps. You would have to disassemble the 3DS and replace the reader if it has poor pin contact with the card.

Sometimes still, corruption happens out of the blue for no reason at all. Your 3DS and the SD card are machines but are in no ways perfect. This is why it's recommended to make backups of your game saves and extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.

Metrolol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you did nothing out of the ordinary like pull out your SD card while the 3DS was in use, remove the battery while a read/write was taking place, or an instant shut off occurred due to an old battery that can't hold a charge, your game shouldn't corrupt.

Other than a bad SD card that's either fake, defective, or too slow (speed rating of Class 4 or lower), another thing to contend with is a failing SD slot reader. This one is slightly harder to pinpoint if it still works but occasionally derps. You would have to disassemble the 3DS and replace the reader if it has poor pin contact with the card.

Sometimes still, corruption happens out of the blue for no reason at all. Your 3DS and the SD card are machines but are in no ways perfect. This is why it's recommended to make backups of your game saves and extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.

Gotcha, well anyway I finished the test on the original card. It returned this:

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 10.4 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.2 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So that's not really giving me anything conclusive to work with. Still, the fresh card seems to be better over all. I feel like its a faster card too, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, seems to be fixed for now.
If you aren't sure WHY this happened in the first place, I suppose I am still concerned though.
I have the backup either way though. I was worried about installing things after I saw what happened with this one title, but I suppose I can keep going now and if there is a problem I can just do this whole process again.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha, well anyway I finished the test on the original card. It returned this:

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 10.4 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.2 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So that's not really giving me anything conclusive to work with. Still, the fresh card seems to be better over all. I feel like its a faster card too, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, seems to be fixed for now.
If you aren't sure WHY this happened in the first place, I suppose I am still concerned though.
I have the backup either way though. I was worried about installing things after I saw what happened with this one title, but I suppose I can keep going now and if there is a problem I can just do this whole process again.
  • What model 3DS do you have?
  • Is it on 3DS firmware 11.8.0-41U?
  • Are you using SysNAND or EmuNAND?
  • Is your custom firmware setup using the latest Luma3DS v9.1, boot9strap v1.3, and GodMode9 v1.7.1 on both the SD card and CTRNAND?
If you require updating your CFW, look to these guides:
-or- for a combined guide of the above two:
Ensure you don't have this selected in Luma3DS configuration: ( ) disable ARM11 exception handlers.

- If you have an o3DS using an micro-to-standard SD adapter, try using a new/different adapter with the old card.
- If instead you have a new series 3DS, continue using the replacement micro SD.
- If the problem comes back after whichever card setup you settle for, replace the SD slot reader.
  • look to ifixit, ebay, and aliexpress for tutorial + part.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.