Hacking EVO3ds: Possible new flashcart for 3DS games?

It's EVo3ds the new flashcart of the Gateway team?

• Yes

Votes: 85 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 80 39.6%
  • NA

Votes: 37 18.3%

• Total voters

F417H

Trophies
XP
Country
I really liked the way Gateway did their multirom feature. It's a lot better than the demo shown for MT and evo3ds. The fact that their demo was so different, and so much better than either of those companies makes me question a lot of the speculation.

Fair point, but if suddenly x demos materialize that look identical to the mystical 2.0.. There would be even less faith in a new card manufacturer. EVO would be immediately be classed a 'clone'. Thus they wouldn't be able to control their pricing as much as they liked and people would still say 'wait for GW or MT'.

Reactions: blitzar

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you see difference www.evo3ds.com and www.evo-3ds.com?
Actually I don't know which one is genuine.
But evo-3ds.com has Creation Date: 2014-03-27 14:19:54
Be carful, it seems "evo-3ds.com" is a clone of the genuine website "evo3ds.com".

The Evo card is not out yet that the website is already cloned...
It starts strong ! :P

Reactions: cearp

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Theres something fishy with GW not replying. I mean, they should say something! At least deny it, even if its their card. But saying nothing is like shouting out loud ''HEY GAIS WE HAS A NEW CARDS''

/100 posts <3

Reactions: F417H

F417H

Trophies
XP
Country
Theres something fishy with GW not replying. I mean, they should say something! At least deny it, even if its their card. But saying nothing is like shouting out loud ''HEY GAIS WE HAS A NEW CARDS''

/100 posts <3

Congrats. If GW do come through this... I'm gonna offer to run their PR for free... Keep the likes of us happy with at least 'some' level of communication. But hey, I doubt they'd reply.

Reactions: newersumm

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I really liked the way Gateway did their multirom feature. It's a lot better than the demo shown for MT and evo3ds.
sure, i don't like the way evo has the multirom, pressing UP to change the game..., what happens if the game card icon is not placed at the top left? it would be taking away functionality of using UP to go to the square above... right?
pressing select and having a little selection menu is nicer in a way than having to go through each game one by one

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh that price doesn't sound bad, if it is genuinely a separately developed product, suppose we will soon find out, but i think we all should of learn't from the r4i/3dslink about just jumping on a new cheaper card without waiting a little bit to see what the reports are.....but at that price point i'm thinking it might not be gateway after all

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
sure, i don't like the way evo has the multirom, pressing UP to change the game..., what happens if the game card icon is not placed at the top left? it would be taking away functionality of using UP to go to the square above... right?
pressing select and having a little selection menu is nicer in a way than having to go through each game one by one

Well, there's still the Circle Pad. And the touchscreen.

b00100100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone with any knowledge of circuit board electronics care to chime in on the other uses of a MCU? Also, if the MCU is sufficient to keep the card up-datable? I'm sure everyone on this forum is thinking, "will this card be updatable? will Evo3ds do a gateway and split with our money?". Understanding the physical aspect of this new card could help users here to make an informed purchase in the future.

UPDATE: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/General...-s-spi-flash-with-microcontroller/td-p/238138

Some information about programming FPGA using a MCU

I have a couple comments regarding this post. First You really wont find much information about FPGA programming by looking t either Xilinx or Altera FPGA forums. Xilinx and Altera both make FPGA's that are called SRAM based FPGA's, where Microsemi (Actel) makes Flash based FPGA's. The difference between these two technologies is that the SRAM based FPGAs (Xilinx/Altera) lose their programming for each power cycle, and as such you need to have flash memory attached such that when the board receives power the FPGA firmware can reprogram the FPGA when power is reapplied. The microsemi FPGA's on the other hand are flash based and so they remember how they were programmed, and don't need to be reprogrammed after each power cycle. You might be asking yourself, "sounds like Microsemi has a clear advantage here" and you'd be wrong. Both technologies have their advantages. SRAM based FPGA's (Xilinx/Altera) can run at very high clock speeds and can be reprogrammed probably close to infinity times. Microsemi parts on the other-hand have a limited number of programming times, can not perform at clock speeds that are as high as the SRAM based ones, but offer a significant power savings. The limited programming is actually not a limit of the FPGA fabric but a limitation of the charge pumps they have in the device to do the programming. Depending on the device they will blow out after some number of programming... general rule of thumb is probably a couple hundred times. Anyways back to the programing of the Microsemi (Actel) parts- The only thing that is required to program the parts is you need to have something (Micro-controller is one example) that can speak the interface of JTAG, and forward the necessary commands to configure the FPGA as the firmware states. That's it. There's probably a million different ways this could be accomplished. And if someone has a ohm meter, you can try and trace out where the JTAG signals are going on the board. I could provide you very simple instructions for doing this, if this is something you are really interested in. My interest in it will only happen if they release a Version2 of GW and they say version 1 isnt compatible, but I determine that isnt true because I map out their hardware... Then I will map out the JTAG, try and get the new version 2 firmware, and then reflash my Microsemi (Actel) FPGA.

The other comment I have about your thread is that in my experience the Chinese don't really run businesses like you described. I understand that we are talking about a company that is making gray market items, but I still think how they are taught to run a business is just ingrained into them. Why isnt GW releasing new news? Because they have nothing new to say. And I know what you are thinking "But look at all the speculation! They must realize their product name is being tarnished! they should say something!!!" And I agree... they should because that is how the western world operates. The Chinese don't though... They will provide information when they have something to say, and not before it. I also don't think they would do shady things like starting up a new company name to sell a second version of the flashcart. And I don't think they would abandon their work and company unless something very crazy happened... Like they were raided and shutdown by the gov, or an exploit was released that just make their whole business meaningless.

If I didnt have a flashcart, I wouldnt buy one now. I'd wait to see what happened in the next couple months. If I had a GW right now, I wouldnt buy a different card... I'd just wait and see what happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with...