Hacking Everything is gray after changing resolution to HD

Zacharybinx34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought one of those Nintendo Wii HDMI converters, plugged it in, worked fine until I changed the resolution to the higher 480p. I lost signal, so I plugged in the AV cable and made sure that the Wii settings were set to the lower resolution (which it is), but now everything is grey and crappy looking?
My first thoughts were it being in Pal mode or something since i"m running full homebrew + Priiloader, but that wasn't the case.

I restored the system menu 4.3 and reinstalled priiloader, didn't help.

Picture here.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/275828097960640512/452187218459623434/20180601_135919.jpg

Thank you!!!

Zacharybinx34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I fiddled with it a bit and got it back working with the HDMI converter only... rofl so weird. If I set it to the lower resolution and try to use the AV cable, it freaks out and goes gray, but if I run it off the HDMI converter and set it to the low resolution it works fine. What on earth? The cable isn't bad, so something is jacked up with my wii's resolution settings or something.

Any ideas?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HDMI converters are odd things, or at least the chips they usually run on are odd.

The grey thing I will usually see with PAL systems doing some of the more exotic video modes on TVs (most European TVs support NTSC and have done for many decades). It is usually that it is trying to decode one theoretically more common mode but instead it is another mode (being a console then typically a US or Japanese video output). Flick the right setting on the TV, which might well be fairly well hidden, and it will come good.
The chips you buy off the shelf to handle all this, ones people in turn use in all these cheap and cheerful HDMI converters, this are rather more limited and may not be able to handle all the relevant inputs and outputs -- while I don't hold terribly high opinions of many playing in the "run old consoles on a modern display" set they are at least having to solve a problem or pay up to solve it.
The reason it ends up in black and white is because of the way most display formats work where technically colour is a separate component and they don't just transmit red, green and blue and have it all merged in the end device. The luma (the black and white info, compared to chroma/chrominance which is the colour) tends to just about be picked up and decoded though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ