Eshop price rises when buying apps

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Cryscharmander, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Cryscharmander
    OP

Cryscharmander Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Brazil
    When Pokémon X & Y released, i was trying to buy a digital version.I added 40 $ to eshop and when i was almost purchasing it, it said that the price was 41.99 (the main page said 39.99), so i bought 10 dollars more.With the change I got from that, I'm trying to get Pettit computer, but the same thing happens, i have 8, in the front screen it says 7.99 but when i try to purchase it, I have to pay 8.39. is there any workaround available ?

2. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    My guess is that you probably set Brazil as your account location and you have to pay extra in tax. Not sure if changing region will sort that out.

3. Cryscharmander
    OP

Cryscharmander Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Kinda possible :/
    Here in Brasil we pay 104% more on retail games
    EDIT:Account location already changed to Canada and it doesn't work anyway.

4. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
  5. Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Set it to US and use the 22201 zip code located in VA. No online tax here!

6. 3bbb7

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    its taxes. sadly nintendo charges them :(

also i believe this has been determined on gbatemp before that changing your zip to get games with no tax is tax evasion

7. Cryscharmander
    OP

Cryscharmander Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Great idea! But the only problem is that eshop credit is locked to specific countries, so my canada balance keeps on canada

8. Cryscharmander
    OP

Cryscharmander Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Oh sorry I didn't know that. But i'd rather purchase in canadian store than spending twice more in the Brazilian store. But anyway nintendo should include taxes directly on eshop's main screen.

9. 3bbb7

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    yeah i agree I hate that you have to add more money just to cover the taxes. like for example if you get 2 $20 eshop cards you can't buy a $39.99 game unless you buy another $20 card because nintendo doesnt sell $10 cards. You could just add money from your credit card but for people like me who dont have one, well... not very fun. You could just get a $50 card but if you just want one game, then it's stupid

10. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    In USA and Canada, the taxes value is different for each state so they show the price without the state taxes. In Brazil they don't do that, the price showed in the eshop already represents the full price.

11. Randamin

Randamin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    United States
    Laredo, TX
    Be grateful your location only dictates a 5% tax on eshop purchases while where I'm at its 8.25% (6% state and 2.25% city) and that is still low compared to Europe with their VAT.

Before the 3DS and Wii U eshop, sales tax was collected when purchasing credit up-front. Now with the eShop one does not get charged tax when buying credit but instead when buyng the game.

Unfortunately I do not know of a Canadian region that does not collect tax on eshop sales so you will have to wait it out and use up your remaining credit balance.

12. Cryscharmander
    OP

Cryscharmander Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Brazil
    For sure.Nintendo should allow you to add any amount of credit
    Well, in Brazil we pay R$150(about 70 dollars) for a game, even in eshop, that can be bought for 40 dollars in USA. So i'm not grateful at all. 40 cents do not make any difference compared to 30 dollars.
    About the credit, yeah I used it(pokemon dream radar lol)

13. 3bbb7

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    thats ridiculous. have you tried importing games? or do u have a brazillian console?

14. RodrigoDavy

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Our country taxes imported products by 60%, so if you buy a $40 3DS game adding taxes it will cost $64 + shipping. Of course, sometimes they don't charge taxes for your products but it depends on luck. Buying the digital version is a safe choice since they aren't able to tax you.

15. RodrigoDavy

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    -- Damn you double post bug --

16. 3bbb7

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    oh well that sucks, guess you just have to buy digital then

17. Cryscharmander
    OP

Cryscharmander Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Welcome to Brazil, the land of taxes, corrupt government and protectionism.

RodrigoDavy likes this.