Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll preface this by saying the DVD5 rip of Brawl and Mario Galaxy work fine aside from the rip's crashes.

First Attempt

When I boot the full dump of Brawl I get the famous "Error #001, unauthorized device has been detected."

For the record:
Caravan's full release, cvn-dsbx.*
1.9g Wiikey with region override on.
Verbatim DVD+R DL, it says 8x speed
Used Nero Burning ROM at the only speed it would let me: 2.4x

This isn't so much a "help" topic as a "don't use Nero Burning ROM" topic. I guess I'll grab the slysoft one.
I tried swapping out the single layer rip for the dual layer one but I still get crashes.

Damnit Nintendo hurry up and let me get the game legitimately.
wink.gif

Second Attempt

Wow fuck. Another dual layer Verbatim DVD+R down the drain.
This time was with Imgburn at 1x.

It's not worth it any more but I have to keep trying for science.

dirty_harry and all other people posting your results, your loss was not in vain. I wsa abotu to try Imgburn at 2.4x but am saving my DL DVD

If your curious about more details on my part here's to answer to what enriqueiglesias says I should tell:

1-Let us know if it's a D2A, D2B or DMS, with or without cut pins.
US Launch Wii so... D2A
2-Let us know what region and firmware version you had before trying to play the game (i.e. PAL 3.1e) and what you have now.
US Wii at the newest version, 3.1U, but I did the Smash Bros. X update and am happily sitting on duplicate channels.
3-Let us know the types of media you have tried this game on. Please, try at least two different types of media before reporting. (I.e. Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x and TDK DVD-R DL 4X).
Just Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x so far. I'm determined to get it done for science but I'm not made of money. Sorry, I can only try one type for now.
4-Let us know the recording software and booktype used (if any) and the burner used. (i.e. imgburn, dvdbooktype set to dvd-rom, lg 233 burner).
Nero Burning ROM at 2.4x, Imgburn at 1x (lol). My disc drive is a FUJITSU MHV2100AT PL.
5-Of course, the type of chip you have and firmware revision used. (i.e. wiikey 1.9g)
cheap Wiikey clone, 1.9g
6-If you had region override turned on or off and whether you've already tried changing it.
On. There's no point in turning it off...
7-Whether you used regionfrii'd or not.
Nope. It's the the clean, normal Caravan release.
8-Whether you can play backups of super mario galaxy just fine.
Just fine.
9-Whether you've been able to test if your burnt DL copy of the game works just fine on a friend's console.
I am unable to do so.
10-How you performed the required ssbb update procedure (if you let it complete 100% or if you stopped it at 15%)
Let it complete.
11-How the game reacted the next time you tried to play the brick blocked version while doing a 15% install. Did it ask to run the upgrade again?
not applicable

Third Attempt

Three fucking discs. All of which less functional than the often-crashing DVD5 rip.

This time was Imgburn, Verbatim DVD+R DL, burning at 4x. Still no dice.
All the other conditions are the same as earlier in the OP.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the reason is this (pure speculation).

All the new games check the number of sectors of the disc they're on, so the wiikey fixed it by hardcoding the number of sectors that the drive reports to the Wii. However, this is wrong for a DVD9 disc, so you get the 001 Error.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's happening to a few other people even with other modchips.

My suggestions: first give as much information as possible on your wii to see if we can reach a conclusion.

2-Let us know what region and firmware version you had before trying to play the game (i.e. PAL 3.1e) and what you have now.
3-Let us know the types of media you have tried this game on. Please, try at least two different types of media before reporting. (I.e. Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x and TDK DVD-R DL 4X).
4-Let us know the recording software and booktype used (if any) and the burner used. (i.e. imgburn, dvdbooktype set to dvd-rom, lg 233 burner).
5-Of course, the type of chip you have and firmware revision used. (i.e. wiikey 1.9g)
6-If you had region override turned on or off and whether you've already tried changing it.
9-Whether you've been able to test if your burnt DL copy of the game works just fine on a friend's console.
10-How you performed the required ssbb update procedure (if you let it complete 100% or if you stopped it at 15%)
11-How the game reacted the next time you tried to play the brick blocked version while doing a 15% install. Did it ask to run the upgrade again?

The only thing i can think so far is that you people with this problem may have in common this: you did the 15% update trick with the DVD5. Then, eventually, you tried a DVD9 version of the game but neglected to brick-block it, so the game asked you to run the update again. Not sure what you did after that, but I guess you either let it run or aborted it at 15% a second time. This seems to screw some people up. Not sure, just speculating.

Also, a large number of people with this problem reports to be using DVD-R DL media, so perhaps some burner/media/recording software combination produces a weird "booktype" that the wiikey doesn't properly "lie about" to the wii when it queries with the "galaxy" protection. But some people claim this problem with DVD+R DL media too, so who knows. True is, DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL do have different number of sectors and the DVD+R DL type is automatically set by some recoders/recording software to booktype DVD-ROM, while it doesn't on others. But then again, some people claim success with DVD-R DL media too ... so go figure.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a very similar issue.

1. D2B, i did not solder it myself but i am told the install was done without i hitch (did it at a modding shop - official wiikey reseller).

2. Before i had PAL 3.1e

3. I have tried a DVD-R DL Verbatim Singapore (am just about to use another of the same using a different burner. Will buy a Verbatim + R later today).

4. Imgburn at all the default settings except for speed, which i set to 2.4X.

5. Wiikey 19.g, authentic.

6. I had region override turned on before, i tried turning off and booting and i also tried to reinstall the 1.9g firmware update.

7. Didnt regionfrii the iso.

8. The PAL region SMG works fine, i didnt try a NTSC of it, but i dont see it not working.

9. I cannot do this.

10. I let the update run completely.

I hadn't used the single layer release of the game, so this was the first. I am really starting to think this is a media/burn settings issue, since some people are reporting that the dvd5 SL SSBB was working fine.

Well, i guess the question now is, with my remaining Verbatim DVD-R DL disc, should i use imgburn, should i brickblock what speed should i use etc..

These things cost a lot of money here so im trying to be careful.

Thanks,

Harry.

shark1987

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i had the same problem and it was also with Verbatim discs... maybe this is the problem?

i can't tonight but in the next couple of days I'll try other brands, anyone have it working with Verbatim discs?

edit:

and i've burned it twice, once in IMGBURN on x8 then in NERO on x4. The one in IMGBURN didn't give me a #001 error, but it did freeze during cutscenes. I'm guessing it's just the brand/speed settings.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a very similar issue.
I hadn't used the single layer release of the game, so this was the first. I am really starting to think this is a media/burn settings issue, since some people are reporting that the dvd5 SL SSBB was working fine.

Well, i guess the question now is, with my remaining Verbatim DVD-R DL disc, should i use imgburn, should i brickblock what speed should i use etc..

These things cost a lot of money here so im trying to be careful.

Thanks,

Harry.

Well, I would try the same media but, if possible, with a different recording software and in a different burner. Sometimes some burners/software/media combinations don't properly recognize the media inserted and produce "weird" not-quite-by-the-book standard discs (you know, like multi-session, disc-at-one, track-at-once, raw-2048, wrong booktype set to DVD-RW instead of DVD-R or DVD+R, etc). With an iso image and on -R media this should be less likely, as the booktype can not be changed, nor can layer break etc. But i've read of DVD+R DL media being reported as DVD-R DL media after a wrong-bytesetting and non-standard stuff like that is not suppossed to exists.

Recommended burning softwares are imgburn (

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
**UPDATE**

Someone reported this in another thread of this forum:

QUOTE said:
alright, so i've tried burning this twice, both on verbatim DL discs.

the first one burned at x8 froze at some of the movies, the second burned at x4 gives me a #001 error before it boots up (which i thought was very strange). But if I boot one of the other copies and then on the menu screen switch discs it runs just like the first and freezes on the movies.

Is anyone else getting a #001 error on wiikey that has been playing the SL release and SMG?

It would seems to indicate that certain burns produce the problem while other burns don't, pointing to the "weirdly recorded" media/software/burner/speed combination used.

Short answer: change your media or try a different burner. If you can't do either of these things, at least try a different recording software and burn speed.

Although it may sound like something really stupid and worthless to try, it has to be strongly advised that people try at least two different brands of quality media recorded to at least two different speeds on at least two different burners before they can be 90% sure their problem is not media related. If any of you are in the xbox360 scene, know just how picky making a xbox360 backup is, which depends on which media/burner/software/settings/reader to the point where perhaps only 1 or 2 burners in the entire market with 1 or 2 brands of discs recorded at a specific speed with specific settings works on an xbox360 fitted with a specific reader.

Yes, such is the mess of the state of the Dual Layer market. One reason why few people use dual layer discs. They are a pain in the butt and don't work right many (most) times. Seriously, it's that bad. You may have never had a problem with your trusted media and trusted burner and have done 100's of burns. And your friend may have never have problems with her trusted reader which has always taken everything you throw at it. But you put your trusted media in her trusted reader (no p0rn connotations intended) and bang! it doesn't work right
wacko.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
You should not waste the -R, get a +R instead. Then redownload the latest IMGBurn and try again at 2.4x.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can only get Verbatim +Rs around here, i actually decided to buy 2 -R's instead of +R's, since people over at the main thread have been loving the -R's.

Occurences like these make me thing jeez why me, i was really pissed off yesterday but now i just want to get to the bottom of it, its a scientific vendetta now
tongue.gif

I did burn the other -R with clonecd, it boots up fine but the same error. I burnt both these Verbatim -R's with a Benq DW 1650, one with imgburn at 2.4X and the other with clonecd at 4X.

Experiment for tonight will be with one Verbatim DVD+R at 2.4X using imgburn on a new pioneer SATA 212D DL. For the second test i will have 25 Ridata -R DL discs to play with, so i will probably try my laptops asus burner with one and try to burn at 8X speed or something.

I hope all this is not in vain... i somehow feel a wiikey firmware update could fix this.

Peace

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow fuck. Another dual layer Verbatim DVD+R down the drain.
This time was with Imgburn at 1x.

It's not worth it any more but I have to keep trying for science.

dirty_harry and all other people posting your results, your loss was not in vain. I wsa abotu to try Imgburn at 2.4x but am saving my DL DVD

If your curious about more details on my part here's to answer to what enriqueiglesias says I should tell:

US Launch Wii so... D2A
US Wii at the newest version, 3.1U, but I did the Smash Bros. X update and am happily sitting on duplicate channels.
Just Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x so far. I'm determined to get it done for science but I'm not made of money. Sorry, I can only try one type for now.
Nero Burning ROM at 2.4x, Imgburn at 1x (lol). My disc drive is a FUJITSU MHV2100AT PL.
cheap Wiikey clone, 1.9g
On. There's no point in turning it off...
Nope. It's the the clean, normal Caravan release.
Just fine.
I am unable to do so.
Let it complete.
not applicable

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Of course this could also be somehow related to certain Wii's not being able to properly read DL discs at all ... let me point out to the first message on this page of another thread to save me some typing:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=74274&st=690

Just a possibility that some Wii's don't properly recognize DL media somehow or has a really hard time with it ... don't know.
blink.gif

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heran Bago, what burner are you using? Ive been using a benq dw1650... its disappointing to hear that your DVD+R's are not working...have you tried any at 8X?

If it is as you say enriqueiglesias, then those of us with modchips installed are fucked. I wonder what nintendo will do when they see a wiikey in my wii when i send my drive to get "cleaned".

Now that i think of it, none of this makes much sense. wiikey modded wiis cant boot the original but can do the backup...some people in exactly the same situation as others get this 001 error...nintendo are claiming to 'fix' wii's that cant read the discs.

and most interesting of all, cyclowiz users have not reported a single 001 error, neither have the d2ckey users, this is screaming a wiikey error in all fronts. Just as a side note, my wii/wiikey is fairly unused and has only been running genuine taiyo yuden discs burnt at 4 or 6X.

I really want to believe its a media issue, since if this is not a wiikey firmware fixable problem, then we will either have to surrender our wiis to nintendo for dual layer 'fixing', buy new wiis
ohmy.gif
or not play original or backup DL discs.

Thinking from nintendos perspective, they must be happy that this is causing so many problems. Perhaps this will start a DL disc trend...

Well either way i will keep trying with different speeds and media and burners but after maybe 10 discs i will stop trying. The way i see it we have a good month or so for the NTSC-U release, and a good 3 months for my PAL release. Thats PLENTY of time for things to happen.

I know this was long, but just putting it out there. Good luck Heran Bago, don't give up yet.

Peace

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Three fucking discs. All of which less functional than the often-crashing DVD5 rip.

This time was Imgburn, Verbatim DVD+R DL, burning at 4x. Still no dice.
All the other conditions are the same as earlier in the OP.

To the poster above, as said before my disc drive is a "FUJITSU MHV2100AT PL". Fujitsu drives are pretty cheap in general so that might be the issue. Found a friend with a Sony drive, so I'll try that next. After that I might just go to Best Buy and ask for a refund...

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
and most interesting of all, cyclowiz users have not reported a single 001 error, neither have the d2ckey users, this is screaming a wiikey error in all fronts. Just as a side note, my wiikey is fairly unused and has only been running genuine taiyo yuden discs burnt at 4 or 6X.

Well, it is indeed possible it's a wiikey problem to an extend, but d2ckey, cyclowiz, winja etc people also having lots of problems, to the point where it's thought that the DVD9 doesn't work properly on the winja at all etc.

Here is a thread for example, but there are like 4 o 5 http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=74336&st=0
Most of the time they don't have the #001 error on DVD9, although I think i've heard of a few cases with non-wiikeys (not sure), but they cerainly have "running and booting" problems.

Also remember that wiikey probably has like 70% of the market, so they also should have like 3 people with problems for each 1 of the rest of the chips combined.

Anyway ... it may have something to do with wiikey not responding properly when queried about what type of disc is inserted to the "galaxy protection", but since it definetly works for most people, tons of people, there must be something weird with these burns or these wii drives that must be *ucking up.

I know that the modchips have different code to insert for different controller from seeing the open chips code, so maybe this only happens let's say to those that have D2A controlers with dual media and certain discs that are not properly recognized.

Nobody ever wondered why Nintendo come out with a D2A and then a D2B controller before even modchips existed? Couldn't it be cause they fixed a few "bugs" on the D2A and made the new revision D2B? And then, why the DMS? The D2C they probably pulled it out to try to screw the pirates, but the other versions I believe are genuine revisions and improvements FOR A REASON.

So anywya, hopefully we'll figure this out!!!!!
dry.gif

About adjusting the laser for double layer speed, some big install/repair house said that they noted on their tests that up to 50% of the wii's could use a little be of "increase" on the laser output to cope with DL. Process as simple as turning the adjustement screw pot on the laser assembly hardly 1/8 of a turn and checking the resistance to lower it some 50ohms or something (not sure, search for a tutorial).

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i feel for you Heran Bago, these DL discs are setting me back 4 dollars each. I will buy 2 +Rs today and tomorrow will have 25 -Rs (cheap riteks or something). My laptops asus burner will burn one at 8X and the benq will have a third shot at the title at 4X.

The benq is a respected drive for its writing capabilities, but sometimes shit happens. actually shit usually happens. If you have any left, i would say try pumping one out at 8X using imgburn, unless your media doesn't support it... the sony burner may be a good bet, if you get it working please post the model!

Its only a matter of time before we sort this bitch out and enjoy the bittersweet taste of victory... the wasted DL discs will stay as a memento...

Don't give up.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mine is a rebadged Benq (not sure the model, 1640 I think) by Sony (810A) and, being as it it about 2 years old, is thought to be excellent with single layers (and it is just fine, nothing great) but it SUCKS at dual layer, and even my girlfriend's el-cheapo-rebadged-richo or something, about 1 year old only, makes a MUCH better job than mine in DL.

I have the feeling laptop burners in general and burners over 2 years old in general, suck on dual layer modern media.

Time to shell out $35 for a new burner, I'm thinking.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm hanging on to my failed burns in case I have to open up the Wii and adjust a screw. Never thought I'd have to do that with another console since the ol' PSX.

As for a good speed.... I've tried 1x, 2.4x, and 4x. Sounds like I should give 2x a shot on the Sony drive. I'll have the model soon enough.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My wii is a D2B...LAH10082 in my country and I'm almost certain its a D2B since i got my wii 5 - 6 months after the release, i remember D2C came out like 2 month after i got my wii. I also definitely have a working wiikey, that must be reason enough, no?

So it cant be the D2A D2B thing... also if nintendo do recall all the "cant read SSBB" consoles, wow they are really going to be fucked. That is a huge cost for them. Huge. It will cost them millions. I mean they must be retarded to not test one of their most popular titles on ALL wiis, whether it be D2A or D2C. From a logistical point of view, they are going to receive wiis that don't function for other reasons, they're going to get very angry people saying "make it work i don't care" its just a nightmare (for them).

I believe this may be a reason for the delay on the US release, its because if they let this loose into the US market with this "weak laser" issue or whatever they're reaaaaallyy going to suffer for it. I really don't know whats going to happen at this stage, but I'm really expecting a firmware update to the wii really soon. I'm also really guessing the US release of SSBB will not only LOOK different to the JAP one, it will have a newer firmware coded onto it. These are just my guesses.

Nevertheless, i wont quit and i will play SSBB within the next 2 months, of this i am certain. FFS I'll buy a new wii with a original SSBB and I'll play it. Stupid region locks make me want to punch a baby.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.