Erasing Nor Memory

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Ray5780, Aug 3, 2008.

Aug 3, 2008

Erasing Nor Memory by Ray5780 at 1:23 AM (4,470 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Ray5780
    OP

Newcomer Ray5780 Newbie

United States
    i have a ez flash v 3 in 1 expansion and im enjoying it alot with my cyclo ds but im one for control over my hardware and software and the one thing i havent been able to do is erase my nor memory on the ez flash like just wipe it without loading something else to it

thx for the help in advance

also i dont have the slot -1 portion of the ez flash, just the expansion 3-1 V

2. Rascal

Member Rascal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can use Hyperlisk's NOR Eraser. I didn't see it in the downloads area, so uploaded it for you here. You just need to erase 4 blocks of NOR and it will no longer show up as having a GBA Game loaded on it.

3. Madridi

Member Madridi Card Collector

Qatar
    Hey Rascal thanks for uploading this. I have a question though, why erase 4 blocks? why not more or less? The maximum I can erase is 80 blocks, would that be bad?

4. Rascal

United States
    Erasing 4 blocks is the minimum to delete the game's header and no longer show a GBA game. You could erase more if you want. It just takes a long time to erase the whole thing, so people figured out the minimum amount to save time.

5. Madridi

Qatar
    oh ok I thought there would be a problem erasing the whole thing.
    But, since its not fully erased, the game is still there, but the header is missing and thats the only reason why its not showing.. right? .. meaning that erasing the whole 80 would erase the whole game?

6. Rascal

United States
    Correct. Erasing 4 blocks will erase the header, which stops the DS from thinking that anything is there. Erasing all 80 blocks would indeed erase the whole game. The only reason that you may need to erase everything would be if you are using MultiRom (disclaimer, I have a CycloDS and don't know specifics about MultiROM, I'm just guessing).

7. Madridi

Qatar
    Thanks for the info Rascal [​IMG]

8. Crozone

Newcomer Crozone Member

Australia
    If you have 32MB of NOR, there will actually only be 64 blocks, not 80 (im not sure why the NOR eraser goes up to 80). Each block is 512 kb each. Not really sure why this matters, cos the NOR eraser stops at 64 anyway, but I just thought it would be good to know.

9. Madridi

Qatar
    yep, good info.. thanks [​IMG]

10. UsualNoise

Newcomer UsualNoise Advanced Member

United States
    The NOR eraser posted earlier doesn't seem to work with the new version of the EZ Flash 3-in-1 (double the NOR). Any suggestions as to how to erase this? Or do we just have to wait for someone to create a new utility?

11. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    make a 32MB empty file with all zeros and then write that to the NOR like any other game. makes it an instant eraser.

12. SirCB85

Member SirCB85 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Hi there.
    Well I know this thread is some older, but as I stumbled over it when I was looking for a way to erase the NORFlash of my EZFlash 3in1, I just wanted to tell a trick I finaly came up with when the NOR_Eraser failed to work on the new version of the Card.
    I just took another .gba file, told my Slot1 card to write it into the NOR and shut down the NDS when it was finished with erasing and startet to flash the new file.
    Worked fine for me, so I wanted to share it.