Gaming English patching 3ds cartridge?

D

Deleted User

You can use Homebrew to ''patch'' a Japanese game, for example:

If you have a japanese-only game, like Dai Gyakuten Saiban, you can have the game and download the English patch in form of update to play it

Of course, only games that have complete Eng patches, but u can do that

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I believe he's referring to how a lot of unofficial repro cartridges for consoles are made with translation patches or hacks applied. I actually don't know if that exists for the 3DS, but I imagine they don't since playing them on the systems is pretty easy. Maybe in 10 years we'll see that pop up when people want to extend their 3DS collections to not just official cartridges.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Couldn't Sky3DS be considered sort of a clone? I mean all the DS flashcards basically did what you would have done to make a bootleg game, right?

D

Deleted User

Couldn't Sky3DS be considered sort of a clone? I mean all the DS flashcards basically did what you would have done to make a bootleg game, right?
wrong. sky3ds is significantly different. 3ds has rom checks in place preventing those bootleg games or rom hacks from appearing. And because sky3ds just decides to emulate a entire game, same restrictions apply, it can't load a modded rom of a 3ds game.

Reactions: Zense
D

Deleted User

DS flashcards did things differently and were able to get around a lot of issues. First thing is the original batch if I recall used a exploit that was on the original ds. *can't remember what it is. I might be wrong* and then when the dsi was released, the whitelist became a thing. and has a list of valid and good ds game headers. With dsi carts and newer ds games having a RSA check for the cart after the dsi released. Which if the game wasn't on the whitelist, but however did have a good proper RSA check using Nintendo's own keys. Then it would run the cart. However if it wasn't and the RSA was wrong, then it wouldn't boot. This whitelist concept was also introduced on the 3ds for the same ds games without a rsa check. Which is why ds flashcards get around security fairly easily in regards to running custom code. It's disguised as a whitelisted cart, and because it's not under the constraints of a rsa check, none of that code can be checked. BUT with the 3ds and 3ds games that all changes. Since there is no such thing as a whitelist, and all carts have a rsa check. Which to clarify, rsa checks are not like headers at all. Headers are like a name, they are more easily to fake. But a RSA for the sake of simplicity, it checks everything. So having the same name and then changing something in the code won't work, because then it fails the rsa check. For the sake of a example
I can call myself bob. And claim I am a valid worker. If a job used a header check/whitelist. Just me being named bob gives me a pass.
But if I call myself bob, and they do a RSA check. I will fail, since I don't look like the real bob to it. I don't have the special branded underwear, nor I'm I not wearing the watch I'm supposed to wear, and I'm wearing shoes instead of a specific brand of boots that my employers gave me and told that I must wear.
*this is a gross simplification but example is example*

Last edited by ,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
DS flashcards did things differently and were able to get around a lot of issues. First thing is the original batch if I recall used a exploit that was on the original ds. *can't remember what it is. I might be wrong* and then when the dsi was released, the whitelist became a thing. and has a list of valid and good ds game headers. With dsi carts and newer ds games having a RSA check for the cart after the dsi released. Which if the game wasn't on the whitelist, but however did have a good proper RSA check using Nintendo's own keys. Then it would run the cart. However if it wasn't and the RSA was wrong, then it wouldn't boot. This whitelist concept was also introduced on the 3ds for the same ds games without a rsa check. Which is why ds flashcards get around security fairly easily in regards to running custom code. It's disguised as a whitelisted cart, and because it's not under the constraints of a rsa check, none of that code can be checked. BUT with the 3ds and 3ds games that all changes. Since there is no such thing as a whitelist, and all carts have a rsa check. Which to clarify, rsa checks are not like headers at all. Headers are like a name, they are more easily to fake. But a RSA for the sake of simplicity, it checks everything. So having the same name and then changing something in the code won't work, because then it fails the rsa check. For the sake of a example
I can call myself bob. And claim I am a valid worker. If a job used a header check/whitelist. Just me being named bob gives me a pass.
But if I call myself bob, and they do a RSA check. I will fail, since I don't look like the real bob to it. I don't have the special branded underwear, nor I'm I not wearing the watch I'm supposed to wear, and I'm wearing shoes instead of a specific brand of boots that my employers gave me and told that I must wear.
*this is a gross simplification but example is example*
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Any idea how Switch carts work then? Still RSA?

D

Deleted User

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Any idea how Switch carts work then? Still RSA?
RSA but even more complex and more checks. Tl;Dr impossible to even emulate a switch cart like how the sky3ds did with 3ds games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Afaik the switch has some extra measures that makes it impossible to do a middle man like the sky3ds.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
RSA but even more complex and more checks. Tl;Dr impossible to even emulate a switch cart like how the sky3ds did with 3ds games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Afaik the switch has some extra measures that makes it impossible to do a middle man like the sky3ds.
Yeah, you'd figure that Nintendo would eventually find a way to combat flash cards , even if the fact that Sky3ds was the only option for the 3ds at a whooping 80$ price tag kinda showed that they'd already managed to beat flash cards.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you'd figure that Nintendo would eventually find a way to combat flash cards , even if the fact that Sky3ds was the only option for the 3ds at a whooping 80$ price tag kinda showed that they'd already managed to beat flash cards.
No Gateway3DS

D

Deleted User

gateway doesn't work on latest firmware. So therefore not part of the discussion.
But in the past yes, gateway. Using a ds profile exploit, but it is not the same or at the same level as what a flashcard does in ds mode. Gateway's method was pretty much to fakesign/bypass rsa checks. So gamecarts that were not intended to run could. Meanwhile ds flashcards were pretty much all in one and didn't require bypassing established security by changing code because they were already "valid"

To also add onto gateway. Gateway's flashcard cannot work on a n2dsxl, just as a fyi, due to the n2dsxl not being functional on versions below 11.3. Which I also must add gateway only works on version 9.6 if I recall. and does not have support for firmwares like 11.6.
3ds Stargate is a yes but actually no. I'm not exactly certain on how it's able to switch between 3ds cards and ds. (however still uses a whitelist exploit for those ds games) With 3ds games, it seems like the same restrictions as sky3ds, so in other words, legit games only in 3ds mode.
Edit:sorry was being stupid, forgot to check context, person I quoted, I'm not 100% certain what you mean.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...