english patch without custom firmware?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by MEGRIMLOCKING, Jul 26, 2017.

1. MEGRIMLOCKING
    OP

MEGRIMLOCKING Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poland
    Hi!

I'm new to this forum. I'm aware that the PSP modding scene is rather dead but I can't find an answer to something that bothers me. Since I'm totally new to modding and messing with a system's firmware, please forgive me if this is a silly question. So, I'm wondering if it is possible to patch a game that is on UMD without a custom firmware? I have an imported copy of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd that has never been released outside Japan and I'd love to try it, but since the game is heavy based on item and quest descriptions, I need a translation. There's a (supposedly) decent translation by Team Maverick One with a number v5.0 on it that has never been really finished, but people say it gets the job done. So, I don't want to put any custom firmware on my PSP 3000, I don't want to get the ISO of the game on it, am I going to be able to run the UMD with the translation patch? Is this even possible?

I'll gratefully read any response :psp::whip:

2. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    You need to be running CFW but you can run a plugin that contains the fantranslation that translates the UMD on the fly. I use it with my physical copy for kicks sometimes even though the ISO format is easier.

3. LongDongSilver

LongDongSilver GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2016
    United States
    The Buvvins
    As far as i know its not possible to have the translation without cfw.
    Edit: Nvm you can patch a umd

Last edited by LongDongSilver, Jul 26, 2017
    lcie nimbus likes this.
  4. MEGRIMLOCKING
    OP

MEGRIMLOCKING Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2017
    Poland
    Back here again, sorry for the lack of response.

@LongDongSilver how so? Can you please elaborate?