Engineers create lightning gun

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Veho, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    [​IMG]
    Lasers and lightning!​

Engineers at Picatinny Arsenal, the US Army's weapons research and development facility, have successfully tested their prototype lightning gun. Guided lightning gun. The device uses a short (two trillionths of a second) high energy (50 billion watts) laser pulse to ionize the air along the beam, creating a conductive channel of plasma. The channel then conducts an electric charge from a high voltage source (a taser on steroids) towards a target. Additionally, this highly increases the range of the electric discharge. The image above shows a directed bolt of lightning earthing itself through a car. Which is all kinds of cool.

I wonder if you could use two lasers, fire one at a storm cloud, the other at your target, and smite your enemy with actual lightning :ph34r:

Anywhoo, source here.

LAZORZ :ph34r:

3 people like this.
  2. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    All i can think of is a Tesla Trooper from Red Alert 2.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    That is pretty damned cool. Your idea for smiting with lightning wouldn't work though. The electricity travels along the beam so firing at a storm cloud would probably shock you really quickly.

Can't help but think that surely the laser would do more damage though

4. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    i'm glad tax dollars are going towards stuff like this instead of education. keep it up US!

4 people like this.
  5. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
    I kinda agree on you with that. But, this is fucking awesome anyways.

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    2 people like this.
  7. Alex221

Alex221 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    I believe the guys over at matrix already did this
    [​IMG]

8. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I can't wait to raid the armory housing this thing during an apocolpytic scenerio and take it for my own use :evil:.

9. Veho
    OP

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Not if you fire the lasers simultaneously, cross the streams (:creep:) and provide a lower resistance path for the lightning than your (heavily insulated) machinery. And wear rubber soled boots. And operate it remotely.

The laser would have to fire continuously to damage anything vital, and I don't think the power source would withstand sustained fire. Also, the laser would probably melt. This way the laser only has to create a conduit for the electric charge to follow. You do more damage with less power.