Misc Endless Ocean multiplayer on same IP

blitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm trying to join a multiplayer session with 2 Wii's sharing the same router...but just before the connection completes, it fails.
Has anyone successfully done this with Endless Ocean?

We've done it with Mario Kart, but only from ingame...if we try via the MK channel then we get a similar problem.

SamusKnight2K

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a Wii but it's possible it drops connection because it cannot open the proper ports. One system is using the required ports that the other needs and vice-versa. In a case like that I'm not sure if a possible fix would exist for it. The other thing you could try doing is assigning static IPs to each Wii if they haven't already. Also if you've assigned port forwarding for one Wii you might want to remove those ports. Correct me if I'm wrong here but normally forwarding specific ports prevents any other device on the connection from using those ports while the device they're assigned to is in use.

blitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I already have static IPs assigned.

I agree that forwarded ports are normally fixed to wherever they're forwarded to, but my router (WinRoute) is software based and does a great job of keeping things in order. I guess Mario Kart uses something similar to WinSock (for example) and is coded to increase the port number when required. Perhaps Endless Ocean is just stuck using 1 single port...in which case I might need to perform NAT based on original IP...but there's the paradox, which I need an expert to advise me on!

blitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah I didn't think of that at all FAST6191.

I can't try until Friday or Saturday now, when my kid visits again with his console.
But I've set up a different subnet (from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0) and was surprised it still works. Had a quick look on wiki trying to understand more, and you could be on to something here. Am I right thinking that TTL was causing a time out before? And will the new subnet stand a better chance of waiting for my slow backup to load? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the subnet concept...the wiki is a little confusing!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

blitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info, and the links which are very informative. I'll give it a go with various settings (what I'm reading has certainly expanded my understanding). But I too suspect that my modding method is causing the timeout...the point was to not buy 2 copies of MK and EO, and future multiplayer games.

If I get it working at the weekend then I'll report back. Else it's time to scrap Softmii and chip my machine...which really seems a waste of money too as I only bought it for the homebrew scene.

blitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I had no joy with that, and now we can't get Mario Kart to work again too
frown.gif

Guess I'll try again tomo
smile.gif

blitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mario works again, but still no joy with Endless Ocean.
For sure my soft mod is taking too long to load, and the original is timing out as it reads the disk at 6x.

Seems I have 2 options: buy another copy of EO for £18 (UKP), or change my soft mod for a chip £20 (UKP)
Hm, that's a no brainer...I have no intention of buying 2 copies of all multiplayer games which can't wait 2 seconds
wink.gif
1 copy is enough thanks, maybe I'll buy 2 chips until these guys learn to code multiplayer from 1 disk
wink.gif
ok so that's asking a bit much but it IS possible via many ways: example would be connect via local wifi and stream game data over that (internet not allowed) - oh, that would be asking for extra effort from these greedy publishers...and here's me designing, coding, publishing...all for free...I was born around 100 years too early for sure =] /rant

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on