Enabling save states in VC games?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by TheReturningVoid, Mar 19, 2016.

1. TheReturningVoid
    OP

TheReturningVoid 0xAAAAAAAA

Oct 2, 2014
    /dev/urandom
    Hello all,

I've been looking for a way to enable save states in VC games (namely the gen 1 VC releases). After looking around in config.ini, I don't see any sort of option to enable states. Could it possibly be a exefs thing? If so, is it possible to enable states in any VC game?

Thanks in advance!

2. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    States are enabled in every VC game apart from the Pokemon games. It's doubtful you'll get much interest when this only applies to three games :P

At the current moment in time, you have to evaluate which is more important to you - save states or wireless support? If it's save states, grab a RBY injection from that ISO site, since they were done before the official stuff was released. If you prefer wireless, just stick with the official ones. The only reason I can see save states being useful is for cloning anyway, and even then you could just use a save editor.

3. shahanshah

shahanshah GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Italy
    Speaking of Pokémon VC, would it be possible to inject, say Pokémon Crystal to have the same multiplayer features as RBY?

4. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    You can read through this post if you're interested. I think the tl;dr of it atm is you can't though.

5. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    The actual tl;dr seems more to be: It's possible, but it's going to be hard. Nintendo did poor coding on the Yellow version of the game (which is a GBC game). Something about certain palettes not getting used.

6. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana GBAtemp Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    According to some tests, the emulator may purposefully blanking out those palette slots, even if they are changed in-game.

7. TheReturningVoid
    OP

Oct 2, 2014
    /dev/urandom
    The reason I want save states is so that it's a bit easier to do stuff like Trainer-Fly Mew. I can live without them, though. Thanks for the info!

8. Scarlet

Scarlet Phone Charm

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    It's not that hard once you get the timing down anyway :P Good luck!

9. TheReturningVoid
    OP

Oct 2, 2014
    /dev/urandom
    Oh no, I can hit the Trainer-Fly every time. It's catching the resulting pokemon that can be a little tricky :P

Scarlet likes this.