Hacking emulators: is it better on xbox or xbox 360?

legolas119

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ah ok thank you.
So, i have to follow this order:
1) Hack the Wii U: https://wiiu.guide/
2) Hack vWii: https://wiiu.guide/vwii-modding
3) Then I need to configure the Wii U in order to use its gamepad for GameCube games: but i have not understood which is the guide..
4) finally it i s necessary to unlock the processor speed to perform a better emulation: I don't find the right guide :(

Super1710

Trophies
XP
Country
ah ok thank you.
So, i have to follow this order:
1) Hack the Wii U: https://wiiu.guide/
2) Hack vWii: https://wiiu.guide/vwii-modding
3) Then I need to configure the Wii U in order to use its gamepad for GameCube games: but i have not understood which is the guide..
4) finally it i s necessary to unlock the processor speed to perform a better emulation: I don't find the right guide :(

Here is a concise guide from a Reddit user : https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/comments/72xx8f/finally_ive_been_waiting_for_years/dnmt14h/

chaisea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what would you suggest to do with a modded Xbox 360 then? I've really been struggling to find purpose for mind. Linux is okay, but not much is ported to PowerPC these days tbh.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
If you truly care about emulation then I suggest a android box or perhaps a Raspi.
The Xbox and Wii are equal when it comes to emulation so you might want to consider getting a Wii (Wii Pro controllers are wireless iirc)

Nope, I don't keep up to date about compatibility lists.
Bit of google work should net you one or two lists.

Lol in the end just build a PC imho, that way you can play current games and run any (well if you meet specs) emulator, an i3-i5 (or AMD counterpart) pc w 8gb+ of ram and a HBM GPU card should be able to handle even Xenia, lol I can run ps2 games on my PC in better than console quality, as for homebrew emulators I would honestly recommend a wii or nds(i)/ 3ds as there is alot more options for homebrew apps and games as well as emulation, plus since it's cheaper hardware it's much easier to exploit and the community is much more open, 360 scene is made of mostly people who mod games(for profit), most homebrew doesn't even use libxenon, anything that uses xex, uses leaked Microsoft sdk and technically may fall into copyright/IP category, which Microsoft can come after you if they really so desired (if you make Homebrew that attracts too much attention or attempt to sell)...let the Nintendo scene borrow some devkits and and you'd probably see some new Homebrew, it also helps that Wii(u) is power pc so, though I believe iirc 360 is ppc64, while Wii(u) is ppc32, once there are more people who write Homebrew and willing to share source code and documentation you'd probably find more hombrew

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what would you suggest to do with a modded Xbox 360 then? I've really been struggling to find purpose for mind. Linux is okay, but not much is ported to PowerPC these days tbh.

I have 334 total Xbox 360, Xbox Arcade and original Xbox games on my rgh I don't need emulation to find a purpose but that's me. If you really can't find any Xbox games to enjoy then sell it.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 334 total Xbox 360, Xbox Arcade and original Xbox games on my rgh I don't need emulation to find a purpose but that's me. If you really can't find any Xbox games to enjoy then sell it.
Not everyone who obtains a jtag/rgh just wants to use it to pirate/rip games on the hdd, you have full access to the system resources, if people actually wrote Homebrew to take advantage of it, instead of only making mod tools and menus, there could have been alot of interesting Homebrew options, Homebrew that can use the Kinect for example, not much homebrew with libxenon(elf) and most homebrew uses official sdk which includes most (xex) of theprograms you'll run which could pose a copyright risk (could be why much info online and sites have went missing you have to dig around a little nowadays)

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
D

Deleted-401606

The Wii U has emulators and is fully backwards compatible with Wii and Gamecube, both of which you can play on the gamepad (not all Wii games though). It can also emulate DS games which every other system can't. If an Emulator isn't avaliable on Wii U you can just play the Wii version of it, and you can unlock the processor to run faster for performance improvements (though it doesn't work with anything except homebrew).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Only thing is you need to buy an app to permanently mod it.

You can use the wii u gamepad for vwii games?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone who obtains a jtag/rgh just wants to use it to pirate/rip games on the hdd, you have full access to the system resources, if people actually wrote Homebrew to take advantage of it, instead of only making mod tools and menus, there could have been alot of interesting Homebrew options, Homebrew that can use the Kinect for example, not much homebrew with libxenon(elf) and most homebrew uses official sdk which includes most (xex) of theprograms you'll run which could pose a copyright risk (could be why much info online and sites have went missing you have to dig around a little nowadays)

I don't understand your point is it that they could have done things that they didn't? No argument there. The person I quoted said they are struggling to find a purpose for theirs. If they can't find a purpose which I assumed means they aren't happy with the homebrew and aren't happy with the games then why keep it?

The 360 was disappointing homebrew wise and it's been dead for several years. It's unlikely anything is going to change going forward.

You can use the wii u gamepad for vwii games?

If you inject them using TeconMoon's VC injector you can for some games not all when it comes to Wii. GC yes any game.

D

Deleted-401606

I don't understand your point is it that they could have done things that they didn't? No argument there. The person I quoted said they are struggling to find a purpose for theirs. If they can't find a purpose which I assumed means they aren't happy with the homebrew and aren't happy with the games then why keep it?

The 360 was disappointing homebrew wise and it's been dead for several years. It's unlikely anything is going to change going forward.

If you inject them using TeconMoon's VC injector you can for some games not all.

In vwii mode or in normal wii u mode?

D

Deleted-401606

Wii U mode. They get installed on the Wii U menu and you can launch them directly without launching vwii at all.

You can get the injector here and ask any questions about how to use it here https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

Ah, I was just curious. I thought the gamepad wouldn't work in vwii mode which is why I asked. Why would people inject games into VC on the wii u menu when you can just launch them in Vwii?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I was just curious. I thought the gamepad wouldn't work in vwii mode which is why I asked. Why would people inject games into VC on the wii u menu when you can just launch them in Vwii?

LOL if you're happy doing it that way then you don't have to? You asked questions and I answered them. I happen to prefer launching from Wii U mode, if you don't then you don't have to.

D

Deleted-401606

LOL if you're happy doing it that way then you don't have to? You asked questions and I answered them. I happen to prefer launching from Wii U mode, if you don't then you don't have to.
Why are you getting defensive? I was simply asking you out of curiosity why people inject wii games to launch them directly from the wii u menu instead of just using vwii. This really isn't something to get defensive over,I was just asking a simple question.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you getting defensive? I was simply asking you out of curiosity why people inject wii games to launch them directly from the wii u menu instead of just using vwii. This really isn't something to get defensive over,I was just asking a simple question.

I'm not getting defensive I misunderstood you I thought with your question that you thought the idea was stupid suddenly. It was weird. When you are asking questions and getting answers then suddenly ask why anyone would even want to do that that's a little odd. If you were generally just curious you can put Wii and Gamecube on one hard drive with your Wii U games and have them on your Wii U menu and use the gamepad for all GC and some Wii games. Those are benefits. The question about the Wii U menu is obvious IMO. Why would you want to have to go into vwii to play your games when you can just play them off Wii U menu it's easier and faster and it's always better to have all your games in one place if you can IMO.

You can play Wii games in the same external HD as the Wii U games?

Yes.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Essentially if everyone didn't just focus on call of duty modding, GTA v modding, halo modding, and piracy, Homebrew is Terrible due most of the publicity came because people just wanted mod online on xbl, pirate games because (most) lived with Mom and Dad and can't afford to pay for their own games, other would troll people as well charging wayyy too much money for these lobbies (I remember back when people paid $100-$200usd for someone to host a mw2 lobby which is stupid and asinine and you're an idiot if you paid for it imho) which is why most people wanted a jtag(and now rgh) so they could cash in, there wasn't any openess, everyone was scared their mods would be leaked and cant make money from it, and ALOT of asinine drama due to person A took menu source from person B and put his name on so person B got butthurt and quit development on 360/mods. Jtag/rgh main goal was to get xell running and run linux, tmbinc and his crew originally developed xell and jtag was for launching Linux and using libxenon for writing homebrew, but 360 scene became full of essentially PC modders who's only interest was to pirate and mod Xbox live and make money from it, really it's the lack of good info into the 360 hardware and programming, so even if you're capable of writing Homebrew, once you start digging people (people who actually know 360 coding) well straight up tell you "figure it out yourself" which is why Homebrew died, IMHO 360 doesn't have an open homebrew community, unless they feel some kind of way about you.... otherwise you have back engineer everything yourself with what info you can still find.

D

Deleted-401606

Essentially if everyone didn't just focus on call of duty modding, GTA v modding, halo modding, and piracy, Homebrew is Terrible due most of the publicity came because people just wanted mod online on xbl, pirate games because (most) lived with Mom and Dad and can't afford to pay for their own games, other would troll people as well charging wayyy too much money for these lobbies (I remember back when people paid $100-$200usd for someone to host a mw2 lobby which is stupid and asinine and you're an idiot if you paid for it imho) which is why most people wanted a jtag(and now rgh) so they could cash in, there wasn't any openess, everyone was scared their mods would be leaked and cant make money from it, and ALOT of asinine drama due to person A took menu source from person B and put his name on so person B got butthurt and quit development on 360/mods. Jtag/rgh main goal was to get xell running and run linux, tmbinc and his crew originally developed xell and jtag was for launching Linux and using libxenon for writing homebrew, but 360 scene became full of essentially PC modders who's only interest was to pirate and mod Xbox live and make money from it, really it's the lack of good info into the 360 hardware and programming, so even if you're capable of writing Homebrew, once you start digging people (people who actually know 360 coding) well straight up tell you "figure it out yourself" which is why Homebrew died, IMHO 360 doesn't have an open homebrew community, unless they feel some kind of way about you.... otherwise you have back engineer everything yourself with what info you can still find.

I think the 360 mod didn't go mainstream since it required soldering. Most people that wanted piracy just flashed their drives.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the 360 mod didn't go mainstream since it required soldering. Most people that wanted piracy just flashed their drives.

Exactly, my point if you just want to play games you can just flash ixtreme or use xK3Y (ODE) for playing backups, all 360 mods required dissassembly whether for DVD flashing or homebrew, jtag is technically a softmod, but has to be connected to an external computer, have to dump a copy of the bios and SMC (nand), patch it, and reflash, jtag was originally bidded as the "tsop hack" ( back when the kk exploit was still relevant you could use Linux to flash it for you) simply required flashing a patched bios and having 3 wires connected. Still Either way if you know programming and can write and develop homebrew you should already have the skills needed to jtag or rgh. really tbh imho if you can't perform jtag or rgh yourself then you don't need one, they are essentially retail devkits at this point, without the extra features of an official xdk, but people buy them and just play and mod all the games they wanted to, get bored and figure out that there isn't really much of homebrew other than modding Xbox live. Which imho is why you shouldn't get one unless you want to actually use it as a devkit, or actually use it for it's intended purpose(jtag/rgh was not developed with piracy or modding as a goal but it's effect allowed the software needed for it to be written) once 360 xbl is discontinued I gurantee jtags and rgh will further plummet in price and demand, if you're getting a rgh or jtag because of its modding heyday (2007 ~2011), that boat has long since sailed away. Lol why do you think most of the original people who worked on the 360 aren't even around anymore, because their work ended up being sold and used for all of the wrong purposes.... they actually have lives, we don't sit 24/7 in front of an Xbox or computer dissecting it atom by atom, it's a hobby and we have bills to pay, a job to work, and other things to do just like you (if you're over 18 and actually work and support yourself)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up